Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear lights that won't blind other cyclist and mount on a fender eyelet

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 01:28 PM
mariachi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I need a rear light to pair with my edelux II. I don't want to mount a light on my fender and I regularly use a carradice saddlebag, so seatpost light is a no-go.

I've seen some people mounting the Supernova rear light on rack/fender eyelets and that sounds great to me.

What are the options out there for small, lightweight lights that are mountable there? Battery or dynamo powered.
The supernova will not have stand light with the edelux, which is a necessary feature.
Old 09-09-17, 03:05 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 85 Posts
How about a seatstay mount B+M Secula?

FWIW, my understanding is that the Supernova taillight isn't compatible with other headlights.
Old 09-09-17, 07:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,773 Times in 2,567 Posts
I used to have a Supernova seatpost mounted light mounted to my dropout eyelet. Unfortunately, Steamer is right, they say not to use it with other headlights. The new version is quite bright, much better than the previous version. I have it on my mountain bike now. They really need to work on their headlights, they are pretty pathetic. But their taillight is awesome.

You could probably mount a Pixeo to a dropout with one of the brake arm mounts. It's cheap and bright.

I like having my dyno light on my fender. Then people can see it for sure.
Old 09-09-17, 07:58 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
I just got one of these and am very happy with it; I've also been behind riders with them and thought they seemed great. Prior to that (and I still have them on there as backup/additional light) I ran two Planet Bike Superflash battery lights, one on each seatstay.
Old 09-09-17, 11:34 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Works well. I run a Cygolite hotshot micro on the other stay.
Old 09-09-17, 11:51 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 167 Posts
An aside: these Paul light mounts can give you some good ways to mount lights where there is an M5 eyelet. https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/gino-light-mount/
Old 09-10-17, 07:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3518 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 1,166 Posts
If you have some tools and buy some Aluminum from the hardware store, you can make almost any kind of taillight bracket you want. The one in the photo is mounted on a rack, not fender eyelet, but I show that as an example. I used a short piece of angle Aluminum, a couple bolts and nuts.

It might be possible to mount it on a fender eyelet with a long bolt, some nuts and washers. Nylock nuts are less likely to loosen with vibration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP0330.jpg (91.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 09-11-17, 02:49 PM
mariachi

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you have some tools and buy some Aluminum from the hardware store, you can make almost any kind of taillight bracket you want. The one in the photo is mounted on a rack, not fender eyelet, but I show that as an example. I used a short piece of angle Aluminum, a couple bolts and nuts.

It might be possible to mount it on a fender eyelet with a long bolt, some nuts and washers. Nylock nuts are less likely to loosen with vibration.
That looks nice, thanks for the tip! In the end, for this build, I'll just mount the light on the fender.. there is no real alternative to the Supernova with a working standlight (small size, lightweight). I guess it's possible to actually build a supernova copy easily -- the thing is just LEDs in an alu enclosure.

I have a VO Pass Hunter, do you have lights on yours? If so how did you route the wire to the rear light?
Old 09-11-17, 06:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3518 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 1,166 Posts
Originally Posted by mariachi
I have a VO Pass Hunter, do you have lights on yours? If so how did you route the wire to the rear light?
I do not have a wired taillight on any of my bikes. I want to be able to charge batteries from the dynohub during daytime and also be able to use a flashing taillight at the same time. The wired taillights do not flash and if I have the lights on, then I am not charging batteries, thus I only use battery taillights.

My interest in dynohubs is mostly for loaded touring, thus the battery charging is important to me. I toured Florida Keys and Everglades last February (while it was still there) for two weeks and was self reliant for all of my electric needs thanks to the dynohub and USB charger. For those two weeks, I never used the headlamp, but frequently used the flashing taillight.

I got a great deal on a wheel with a Shimano dynohub, put that on my Pass Hunter. But at this time that bike is not wired for USB charging, I put an old (discontinued model) headlamp on the bike wired to the dynohub. Since the taillight is battery powered, the wiring was quite simple.

The photos attached is of the initial installation on the Pass Hunter where the light was too low to the ground. I moved the headlamp up higher on the fork after the photo was taken because I got a lot of shadows from objects close to the ground. The Pass Hunter does not have midfork rack fittings, for now I am using a P clamp to hold the headlamp but I do not have any photos of the current installation. I am unsure if the current installation will be permanent or not. The way my front cantilever brake cable is mounted, mounting a headlamp on the fork crown would be difficult.

My comment above about possibly mounting a taillight with a long bolt and a couple nuts is in part based on the headlamp installation in the photo. You can see how easy it would be with a little imagination to mount a taillight that way. In the photo I also used a nylon plastic spacer I got at the hardware store, I painted the spacer black with black fingernail polish.
Attached Images
20IMGP0316.jpg (98.8 KB, 58 views)
20IMGP0315.jpg (101.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-11-17 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 07:40 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/taillights.php

They have a really good overview of the rear lights that work well with generators. Mine is fender mounted, but there are plenty of non-fender mounted lights.

Last edited by bgraham111; 09-13-17 at 07:43 PM. Reason: I mis read the OP's post.....