Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you broken recently?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you broken recently?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 01:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,021 Times in 3,455 Posts
I had a frayed cable for my front derailleur that sometimes stuck my fingers when I reached for the downtube shifter. When it quit sticking me, I was glad that it was the front as it simply stayed in the small gear and I could pedal the seven hilly miles to get home.

So now I know that when the rear starts sticking me, I should not wait over a year before replacing it.
Old 10-02-17, 01:44 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Liked 1,304 Times in 708 Posts

The screw that held the rear rack and fenders. Thing is, it was a tapped hole it was stuck in and I ended up destroying the rack and the screwhole itself getting it out. Had to drill a hole and file it to be able to attach anything else to it again.

Oh and the other distance screw thingy here snapped on the other side.
Old 10-02-17, 01:56 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I had some Record hubs laced to Mavic 330/280's that I was going to sell. Went to check the truing, saw that they were true, but some nipples rounded.

Long story, short...I now have some 36h Record hubs that will be easier to sell, but I don't have wheels, so I guess I busticated them.
Old 10-02-17, 02:26 PM
ApolloSoyuz1975

Bikes: Cannondale SR400 (3.0). Phat t00bs!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Just my body. Two months ago, I pinched the sciatic nerve in my right side, causing pain and weakness down my leg. The pain is mostly gone, but I am still working to regain strength. I'm using a stationary trainer as part of rehab, but only 15-20 minutes per session.
Ouch! Hope it’s just tight musculature… I started having sciatic problems and it turned out to be a herniated disc.

I had the clamp of a Crane bell come apart and fall off of my handlebar in BFE during a group ride… recovered the bell+upper, but never found the lower. Wish I could find spare parts…
Old 10-02-17, 02:31 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,550 Times in 1,158 Posts
I've had a heck of a time flipping up the left pedal with my toe to get into the clips on the last couple of rides. I guess the good news is that the cause was not old age and clumsiness as I had feared.

Anybody have an orphan left superleggero pedal?
Brent
Old 10-02-17, 02:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,641 Times in 1,534 Posts
I'm 56 years old, and I haven't broken a bone yet. Maybe it means I'm not riding fast enough.

A bit over a year ago, my drivetrain was making weird noises, and I just lived with it. Then climbing a mountain with panniers on the bike, the rear derailleur shifted beyond the biggest cog three times, but it didn't get mangled. Every time, I got off and checked, and the limit screw was set right, so it was a mystery. After that, I stopped using the lowest gear even though I was climbing the mountain. I got home and discovered the problem was that my rear axle had broken in half.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-02-17, 03:38 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I was test fitting a NOS Sturmey Archer 3 speed cable to the hub this morning - immediately snapped the cable-clamping bolt in half with only a tiny bit of torque. Guess they don't make them like they used to... oh, wait...
Old 10-02-17, 04:28 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Unbeknownst to me I lost the black plastic washer type thingy on my DA 7402 RD barrel adjuster. "Stop me if I get too technical". Turns out you need that to prevent you from pushing a little cylinder out the derailleur (which I did). I couldn't find the original so I made one out of a Schrader valve stem cap. Here's a pic of the homemade replacement.

On the subject of broken toes, I broke my big right toe when I was 11, then about 10 years later I rebroke it, after that for the next decade it hurt. It finally healed when I stopped working out for a few months. I've re-broken it several more times over the years. No fun. Now it just hurts occasionally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
attachment-13.jpg (25.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 10-02-17, 04:40 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
The only thing I've broken this year was a promise I made to myself to ride at least 3000 miles this year. Looks like I'm stuck at 1990. Not much riding season left here...
Old 10-02-17, 05:17 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Liked 600 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I've had a heck of a time flipping up the left pedal with my toe to get into the clips on the last couple of rides. I guess the good news is that the cause was not old age and clumsiness as I had feared.

Brent
If it makes you feel any better, campy SL pedals are known to do that - typically after like 50k miles.

One cheap and effective fix is a small screw through the cage with washers and a nut to hold it on, and a valve cover screwed onto it. There were various other recipes for homemade tabs.
Old 10-02-17, 05:32 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
As I understand it, these are some kind of pedal guide tabs, but they might help. But it would be easy enough to make something similar too.

Campagnolo Pedal Kick Tabs Record Toe Clip Vintage Bicycle NOS Invito Scarpetta | eBay

Old 10-02-17, 09:38 PM
tricky 

Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
I have an avulsion fracture of my triquetrum from skateboarding. I didn't know what the triquetrum was either. It's the bone in your hand that your ulna rests on. "Broken hand" sounds way more impressive than it is. No cast or even a brace. Well, brace when riding, but that is it. The doc was more interested in another break in my hand from long ago that I didn't even know I had. We spent more time talking about that one.
Old 10-02-17, 10:32 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris

Brent
Check out the MKS site. They have "Pedal Flips" that bolt on to the pedals. They run about $10 for a pair. I had the tab break off of one of my Lyotards and the MKS flips saved me from having to replace the pedals.
Jon

Last edited by Jon T; 10-02-17 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 10:42 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
While doing some maintenance on my free wheel (Maillard Helicomatic) I noticed that the "Dork Disk" on my '84 Peugeot PH10LE has cracked. Any one got an extra one laying around collecting dust they're willing to part with? I've never needed it as I keep every thing tuned and true but the bike looks like it just came off the show room floor and I'd like to keep it just like it came. I bought it new in '85.
Thanks.
Jon
Old 10-03-17, 11:06 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,550 Times in 1,158 Posts
[MENTION=424205]Salamandrine[/MENTION] [MENTION=392454]CliffordK[/MENTION] [MENTION=462589]Jon T[/MENTION]

Thank you all for your solutions! The MKS clips look like a great fix. While I'm waiting for them to arrive I'm going to try the screw and valve cap trick: I love home-brew repairs!
Brent
Old 10-03-17, 02:06 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
I think I may have broken a classmates heart at our 50th high school reunion on Saturday. She is a widow and a great friend, but she got too far into her cups. It was embarrassing for me and maybe for her later (I hope she didn't remember it the morning after).

My wife took it very well, and we discussed it on the ride home. I suppose that is why we do these things every 10 years.