Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Old style touring.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old style touring.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 06:55 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I rarely ever carry a paper map nowadays. When I'm at visitor center and see a map that's interesting or helpful I'll just take a photo of it for reference.

The most useful maps, like topo-maps, tend to very detailed and are quickly out range and then useless. Tossing these out is a waste, carrying them makes no sense, mailing them home is inconvenient.

BTW: I have a large file-drawer FULL of old maps from trips over the years. I always think that I might use them someday, and I have referenced a couple, once or twice. But the reality is they'll end up being thrown away in the future.
Old 10-02-17, 07:30 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
BTW: I have a large file-drawer FULL of old maps from trips over the years. I always think that I might use them someday, and I have referenced a couple, once or twice. But the reality is they'll end up being thrown away in the future.
Again, not from bike touring specifically, but I am the same. Whole suitcase full of them actually.

Originally Posted by redbagsrambler
(As we approach a T-intersection while following a EuroVelo route
Me: That's because we are supposed to turn left here....you know, like the signs say.
Him: We need to go that way (he points left).
Me: Good call.
That is cool.

I did a trip through Belgium and the Netherlands, on signed routes. I was really glad to have a phone that I could pull out and look at a map, when the signs were hidden, missing, or someone stuck a new "knoppunt" in the middle of the sequence I had based off an old map, and had no clue which one was the new intermediary step. Trying to follow signs alone, while it sounds like a good idea, can get you lost in a hurry.
Old 10-02-17, 11:27 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
did anyone watch part 1 and 2 of the video i posted ,in all the vids i watched over the years it's still my favorite no gps in those day's i don't think he would even bother with gadgets if there were around at the time .
mind u i'm a sucker for tech stuff even tho i haven't a clue how to use them if it hasn't a handle on it i'm lost.
anyway enjoy your tours and cycling stay safe.

https://vimeo.com/56736424

Last edited by antokelly; 10-02-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-02-17, 07:04 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
So any of you guys ever think to hell with this planning and gadget stuff like phones satnav and just pack a few panniers and hit the road.
Been there, done that. Got lost a bunch of times, got stuck in the middle of nowhere without water, got in late to hotels. Hard pass.
Old 10-02-17, 08:39 PM
jrbz

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Old 10-02-17, 10:06 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by jrbz
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Yeah, if you actually adventure around for a bit, you realize that there are plenty of places you neither intended to go nor should be, that you need to get out of as quick as possible.

And no I am not talking about seeing a bit more of poverty than you are used to (some of those are the most wonderful places I have been), I am talking about places that are downright not intelligent to be. Say, an otherwise normal looking pub in industrial Budapest where the waitresses were running every transaction through burly guys near the exits and taking patrons into back rooms, or the road I inadvertently walked down in Bangalore where touts were somewhat forcefully promising me girls for incredibly cheap prices.

I love adventure, but I've got a few more stories like that that that make me wonder how I haven't made a more tragic choice in my adventuring. I'm cool with taking the safe options.
Old 10-03-17, 08:12 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yeah, if you actually adventure around for a bit, you realize that there are plenty of places you neither intended to go nor should be, that you need to get out of as quick as possible.

And no I am not talking about seeing a bit more of poverty than you are used to (some of those are the most wonderful places I have been), I am talking about places that are downright not intelligent to be. Say, an otherwise normal looking pub in industrial Budapest where the waitresses were running every transaction through burly guys near the exits and taking patrons into back rooms, or the road I inadvertently walked down in Bangalore where touts were somewhat forcefully promising me girls for incredibly cheap prices.

I love adventure, but I've got a few more stories like that that that make me wonder how I haven't made a more tragic choice in my adventuring. I'm cool with taking the safe options.
oh man that sounds scary
beam me up scottie Quick.
Old 10-03-17, 08:24 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
oh man that sounds scary
beam me up scottie Quick.
umm, did you hear a "click"?.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 449.jpg (101.1 KB, 216 views)
boom.jpg (85.7 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by saddlesores; 10-03-17 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-03-17, 09:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
yes a field of uncleared land mines will add to the "adventure"..
Old 10-03-17, 09:28 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
....and then you find yourself tripping all over the
kids toys they leave lying all over the place.......
Attached Images
Picture 444.jpg (97.6 KB, 212 views)
Picture 458.jpg (99.1 KB, 212 views)
Old 10-03-17, 10:53 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by saddlesores
....and then you find yourself tripping all over the
kids toys they leave lying all over the place.......
Yeah, those are a bit more extreme examples of my point...
Old 10-03-17, 12:39 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Been there, done that. Got lost a bunch of times, got stuck in the middle of nowhere without water, got in late to hotels. Hard pass.
fair play to ya sure you got there in the end.
Old 10-04-17, 06:57 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
I still enjoy having a paper map with me, but have learned to like the advantages of gps and or internet info for travelling.
A mix of both is the best bet in my opinion.

one thing Ive talked about with family and friends is how when traveling on your own, developing a good instinct for who to ask, and who to believe, and situational awareness for dodgey stuff, is still the most important skill to have when traveling. The flip side is also having wonderful interactions with regular folks, which to me still makes for some of the best memories of traveling by bike.

I dunno, the internet is totally cool as a tool, but you still have to have good basic, common sense people skills and instincts for stuff, no matter what the interweb tells you. Dealing with things as they come and improvising/finding solutions is in my view still the most important skill to have as a traveler.
Old 10-05-17, 09:42 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
All the new gadgets, allow for far less planning than old style touring.
This...when they work. OTOH, when I rode to Dinosaur Valley, I ended up using celestial navigation for the last bit since somehow the map file got corrupted. Fortunately, the phone still had the coordinates of the park gate, and could tell me where I was, and thus which way to go, but not which direction I was facing. (The compass in it is unreliable under most circumstances, IME, and since I didn't have my handlebar mount on, riding far enough for it to go by direction of travel while looking at the display in the dark wasn't a very good option.)

I find that overplanning the route can result in problems; you can't always tell beforehand how suitable a road is, and taking any detour, for example to patch a tire at a gas station with an air compressor rather than your mini pump, can render your cue sheet useless until you're back on the planned route and adjust elapsed distance to compensate. GPS negates that problem pretty effectively when it's working right, allowing for on-the-fly rerouting.
Old 10-05-17, 11:41 PM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
A planned route only results in disappointment while an unplanned route results in surprises.
Old 10-06-17, 04:14 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 181 Posts
A paper map isn't always up to date or complete. For example I had maps of western Kansas that gave two different descriptions of what was paved or not. Turns out neither was correct.

An electronic map isn't always correct either. For example, I am in Argentina now and a section of Ruta 40 in open street map south of Mendoza just doesn't exist. There is a reconstruction project underway and eventually there will be a new road but not where the old one was before. Also not much info on which roads are paved or conditions of those roads etc.

A GPS can pinpoint your location, but with noise in the system in form of incorrect and incomplete info one still needs skills to evaluate info whether it comes from paper maps, electronic maps or villagers along the way.

So I come more from school where some technical assistance is helpful (without it my riding partner and I got separated from each other for ten days in the Ural mountains when crossing Russia - an SMS message on a basic phone would have fixed that). While helpful, I think it would be foolish to ride much of the world relying on an expectation this information is correct and complete.
Old 10-09-17, 08:04 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 252 Posts
love it when a online map shows me new gravel roads on my phone...
Old 10-09-17, 09:13 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
All the new gadgets, allow for far less planning than old style touring.
There always have been and still are folks who head out with zero planning, folks that plan in intricate detail, and everything in between. Some use the technology to allow for more planning and some less.

There are folks who rely heavily on the new technology, folks who don't, and again everything in between.

Also folks may take one approach for one trip (or portion of a trip) and another for a different one.

Personally I don't plan any detail of things like overnight stopping points and prefer to choose where to stop on the spur of the moment. Some times I follow a predetermined route and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I avoid planning by using planning someone else already did (AC maps, etc) and some times by choosing the route on a whim as I go.

For me there is usually some of both staying with a plan and winging it on various sections of any longish tour.
Old 10-09-17, 10:50 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
like the sound of stopping where ever your fancy.
Old 10-17-17, 08:49 AM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Well.. that's not true at all. Everyone could tour back in the day too. In fact, that was the appeal.

Having actually toured I can say most of the people I meet along the way seem to be pretty happy doing what they are doing. You can do a fully loaded tour and only travel a few miles each day (which is pretty easy) or do a credit card style tour and cover more than 100 miles every day (which is quite hard) and everything in between.

The only real tough thing about touring in the past for me was the weight of my gear and the fact that I had a 2x5 gaspipe mtb. I don't miss that so much.

There are two ways that I seek and gain a feeling of accomplishment from a tour. One is to have an element of "I'm not sure I can do this" involved, which has little to do with modern or old school, and the other is to have an element of social interaction such as a vacation with friends or doing a ride to support a cause.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-17-17 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-17-17, 08:56 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta admit, the best trips are when you go out somewhere, see a road you've been down and suddenly you're 50 miles away from where you were destined to go. I've rode the Trans Pennine Trail through the UK, but ended up adding over 150 miles due to not sticking to the path, wondering off to various villages/towns I never knew existed before coming back on it again.

Technology stops you getting lost. Curiosity gives you an adventure.
Old 10-17-17, 09:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
So any of you guys ever think to hell with this planning and gadget stuff like phones satnav and just pack a few panniers and hit the road.

I see two questions: (1) Do you skip the planning and hit the road and (2) skip the gadget stuff (electronic aides).

When I went to Iceland in summer 2016, I wanted to see the interior. I did some additional planning and internet research (where the grocery stores are, etc.) but I had no route planned until after I got there. Upon arriving there, loaded up the bike with two weeks of groceries and hit the road.

But, I brought a cell phone (was unable to buy a SIM card, so it was only a wifi device) and a vintage GPS (so old that the display is black and white).

Thus, I skipped the planning, but I brought the gadget stuff.

That was my only solo biketrip. When traveling with others, I think it important to have plans and destinations planned out. Thus, all my other trips had a route planned.

When I went on a solo kayak trip a couple months ago on Lake Superior, I also had no route planned. But when you can't see where you are going in the fog (see photo) you better bring a GPS along with you if you ever want to see land again. Thus, once again I skipped the planning but brought the gadget stuff.
Attached Images
20IMGP3795.JPG (227.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-17-17, 04:08 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow i wouldn't chance that trip if you paid me.
into the unknown scary stuff i'm in my old age a complete wuss.
Old 10-19-17, 12:20 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I like paper maps, topo stuff is great for things like streams and rr tracks. Really helpful when bikepacking. My favorite? The street sign, the paper map and the ride with gps maps all say different street.? Hmmm, what next? Rivers, streams and rr tracks usually don't change. Sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Followed some of the XVT bikepacking route this summer, somewhat rough. Enter a forest service road gate, follow up hill for 6 miles, 10 total. 2 VAST signs( Vermont area snowmobile trail) total. Went from over grown single track, double track, atv track, dirt bike track and back to dirt road. And back again. A plan B and a plan C are always good for wayfinding, even if not used. When you stop to take a breather on an uphill and see a giant pile of poo, do you stop to figure out if it is bear or moose? Nope, full speed ahead.

Last edited by Leebo; 10-20-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 01:57 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Old style means you have to be tougher and strong to do it.
It was a accomplishment.

Now everyone can do it...not the same feeling.
Probably shouldn't respond to a troll...but...

I call BS.

Old style touring was an accomplishment and now it is not? BS.

Not everyone could tour before but now they can? BS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.