Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1974 Crescent Pepita Professional DeLuxe 320

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1974 Crescent Pepita Professional DeLuxe 320

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 11:54 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just dropped the frame/fork off for powder. Woo hoo!

Last edited by khatfull; 10-03-17 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-03-17, 12:34 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Another question for Crescent owners...anyone ever get one with the original bar tape on it? Was it cloth or something else?
Old 10-06-17, 10:43 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yet another question...

If someone back in 1974 wan't enamored with stretched leather saddles, like the Ideale on the Crescent, what would have been popular and period correct back then?
Old 10-07-17, 03:40 PM
juvela

Liked 3,523 Times in 2,292 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
Another question for Crescent owners...anyone ever get one with the original bar tape on it? Was it cloth or something else?
-----

Tressostar, IIRC

---

"If someone back in 1974 wan't enamored with stretched leather saddles, like the Ideale on the Crescent, what would have been popular and period correct back then?"

Nitor/Unicanitor (Cinelli)

-----
Old 10-08-17, 08:32 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I should have guessed that on both. Tressostar, easy, Unicanitor...a nice one not so easy. Sigh.
Old 11-21-17, 05:10 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Liked 317 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
My white 318 has black cloth which looks original.
Old 11-22-17, 02:50 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Liked 442 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by 76SLT
My white 318 has black cloth which looks original.
While I would put Tressostar on the rebuild, my recollection was that they came with white plastic tape in a diamond pattern. If you go back at one of the Crescent ads from the era( Google woman on Crescent bike ad), and zoom in on the bars, the tape has very close spacing between the turns. Ya just can't do that with cloth tape. You'd need a roll about 3x the usual length.
And why do I remember the ad? Was thinking about a Crescent for my first real bike. Local shop was big on them. Showed the ad my Mom. She had much to say, ending with something to the effect of you will not give your money to sexist pigs.
Old 11-28-17, 06:34 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Liked 317 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
While I would put Tressostar on the rebuild, my recollection was that they came with white plastic tape in a diamond pattern. If you go back at one of the Crescent ads from the era( Google woman on Crescent bike ad), and zoom in on the bars, the tape has very close spacing between the turns. Ya just can't do that with cloth tape. You'd need a roll about 3x the usual length.
And why do I remember the ad? Was thinking about a Crescent for my first real bike. Local shop was big on them. Showed the ad my Mom. She had much to say, ending with something to the effect of you will not give your money to sexist pigs.
Here's mine. Pretty tightly wrapped.
Old 11-30-17, 12:13 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
-----

Mom quote sounds like a fine example of early '70's rhetoric.

Regarding young ladies shown on Crescent cycles - this 1969 catalogue cover is an image not so often encountered -
in case anyone is curious the cycle shown is model 92027. oh, you hadn't noticed there was a two-wheeler in the picture...
Attached Images
Old 02-01-19, 10:54 AM
spokealong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there's any activity on this thread, I have a question about the Pepita. From all the research I've done, I'm thinking the bottom bracket is French treaded, but head set is British. Could anyone confirm?
Old 02-01-19, 11:39 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by spokealong
If there's any activity on this thread, I have a question about the Pepita. From all the research I've done, I'm thinking the bottom bracket is French treaded, but head set is British. Could anyone confirm?
paging [MENTION=436667]styggno1[/MENTION]
Old 02-01-19, 11:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,175 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Mom quote sounds like a fine example of early '70's rhetoric.

Regarding young ladies shown on Crescent cycles - this 1969 catalogue cover is an image not so often encountered -
in case anyone is curious the cycle shown is model 92027. oh, you hadn't noticed there was a two-wheeler in the picture...
No doubt you're collecting old Crescent bike catalogs because you like the pretty pictures of their bikes . . . .

Old 02-01-19, 11:46 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Liked 1,116 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by spokealong
Yes, as I wrote in this threads first page..
Old 06-18-20, 03:16 PM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everybody!

I was reading this thread and it seemed like a very interesting project, is there any progress or update on it?

I recently got my hands on a similar one, an orange crescent, it has serial number slightly below the one in this thread, starting by 42... The bike has "idéale" sadle, "huret" shifters, CLB brakes, "atom" pedals. Back wheel and back derailleur are modern but the front rim is "fiame" and on the front hub it is stamped "Normandy" .

Does anyone has some clue about the year of this one? The brandings on the components suggest it might be the model from 1968, but since the serial number starts by 4, I am not sure.

Best regards and I hope to see the final result of the bike in the first post!
Old 06-19-20, 12:28 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by DarkSqrBishop
Hello everybody!

I was reading this thread and it seemed like a very interesting project, is there any progress or update on it?

I recently got my hands on a similar one, an orange crescent, it has serial number slightly below the one in this thread, starting by 42... The bike has "idéale" sadle, "huret" shifters, CLB brakes, "atom" pedals. Back wheel and back derailleur are modern but the front rim is "fiame" and on the front hub it is stamped "Normandy" .

Does anyone has some clue about the year of this one? The brandings on the components suggest it might be the model from 1968, but since the serial number starts by 4, I am not sure.

Best regards and I hope to see the final result of the bike in the first post!
-----

kitting described sounds like it would be a model below the level of a 319

there is a discussion thread on a 319 from near to the time you suggest here -

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cr...pepita.171900/

-----
Old 06-20-20, 02:31 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answer, I think I forgot to illustrate it with a picture this is the bike as I got it. (Can't upload photos yet)

It is quite dirty and has many paint chips everywhere, the decals have suffered a lot also. At least there is no rust...

The back wheel, back derailleur and freewheel are not original, Moreover, when I got it, the dropouts had been spaced to 135mm and then a few washers and nuts were added in the axel to fill in the space. Additionally It was very assymetric, it feels almost like if only one side was bent.

I have already squeezed it together to a more normal size of 126mm and removed the spacers in the axel.

This is it as for now, I think I should open a new thread....