Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trouble Installing GXP Crankset with Enduro Bearings XD-15 BB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 10:26 PM
Chili Cheesy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started a thread a while back, trying to find the right 3x10 crankset. I eventually settled for a Sram X7 GXP triple crankset.
I then bought an Enduro XD-15 ceramic bearing bottom bracket. (I bought this tank of a BB to avoid the longevity issues of most external bearing BB's. It'll pay for itself soon enough)

I think I'm gonna need someone who actually has experience with this combination.
They are compatible. That's not in question...
But I can't find for the life of me, any actual guidance for this specific combination!

My frame has a 68mm BB shell. The crankset is an MTB one. My XD-15 BB works for both 68mm and 73mm.

So the problem is I can't find the information on how I'm supposed to combine these spacers and such.
The BB came with three 2.5mm cup spacers that go between the BB cups and the frame. And there are six thin plastic spacers/washers that go on the spindle. Three are 0.5mm and three are 1mm I believe. And there's 1 metal wave washer.
All I know for sure is the wave washer goes on the drive side of the spindle.
I don't know if I'm supposed to just put 1 cup spacer on each side of the BB or two on the drive side and 1 on the non-drive side...
It also seems that the BB was supposed to come with 2 wave washers, one slightly thicker than the other. And I think I have only the thinner one.
I was told by a guy at Enduro that I should use the thicker one for GXP, so I ordered that piece from him...

Anyway....!
I feel that there is only really one right way to put this all together, give or take a thin plastic spacer on the spindle...

Please help.

Much appreciated,
Ryan
Old 10-23-17, 11:05 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 777 Times in 563 Posts
set it up with a spacer per side...

eyeball the crank arms compared to the chain stays...

look centered? leave the spacers alone...

look not centered? try another combo.

and those "washers"... is one of them actually a SEAL, by chance? smear some waterproof grease on it.... the GXP spindle will only allow it to be installed correctly on one side.... same for the shims. have fun.

Last edited by maddog34; 10-23-17 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 05:19 AM
dsaul

Liked 809 Times in 481 Posts
I have the same bottom bracket (without the ceramic bearings). Mine came with 2x 2.5mm and 2x 1mm bottom bracket spacers. For a 68mm with a MTB crank, the instructions say to use one of each spacer on each side. It appears that they have changed the design and the website says they ship with 2x 2.5mm spacers, so you would use one 2.5mm spacer per side. The thin plastic spindle spacers go between the wave washer and the drive side arm. They are for fine tuning the side play(preload) of the spindle. Its a trial and error thing to figure out the proper number of spacers for your setup. Start with no spacer and install the crank with just the wave washer. Check for side play and keep adding spacers until there is no play. I had to add a spacer after a few months of riding and all is good since then.
Old 10-24-17, 10:02 AM
Chili Cheesy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
...and those "washers"... is one of them actually a SEAL, by chance?
No. They're definitely all the same kind of spindle washer/spacer.

Originally Posted by dsaul
I have the same bottom bracket (without the ceramic bearings).
dsaul, did you also use a GXP crankset with that BB?
Old 10-24-17, 10:09 AM
Chili Cheesy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also...
When I did try installing the crankset with one 2.5mm BB spacer on each side, the wave washer hadn't even STARted to compress by the time the non-drive side crank arm was tightened the whole way on.
This makes me think I'll need the other BB spacer on the drive side, maybe.
I would have already tried this out if I'd had any free time since the last. I'll get a chance in two days from now. I just want to get as much input from you guys as I can before that.
Old 10-24-17, 11:07 AM
dsaul

Liked 809 Times in 481 Posts
Yes. Mine was installed with a GXP crankset. I'm surprised that the BB didn't come with installation instructions. If the wave washer is not close to touching the drive side, I would try using 2 spacers on the drive side.
Old 10-24-17, 07:06 PM
Slash5

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Since you are installing MTB cranks on a 68mm frame you will need a 2.5 mm shim on each side. Then you will add your shims etc. to preload the bearings.
Remember though, due to their design, a GXP crank will never have play.
The Enduro instructions say:
As a rule of thumb, you will want to preform the first installation using all thin/light spacers and spring washers (24x0.5mm, and 0.4mm). GXP cranks take a bit of experimentation in order to get the torque correct, so try several different combinations of spacers until you find one that works for your particular frame shell. Do note that the spring washer, of any thickness, must be used in the installation of GXP cranks in order to preload the bearings (on the DRIVE side)
Old 10-25-17, 06:11 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
Outboard bearing bottom brackets for mountain bikes are made to work with a shell width range from 68 to 75.5mm (the overall width of a 73mm with E type derailleur )
With a 68mm shell, you need two of those spacers on the drive side and one on the non drive side. An E type derailleur eliminates one drive side spacer.
With a 73mm shell, one spacer is used on the drive side, except with E type derailleur, in which case, no spacers are used.