Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

"I Dont Need Torque Wrench, I Go by Feel"

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 08:45 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

"At interbike 2017 PBMA hosted the Attack Torque Survey sponsored by Prestacycle. A test of a Professional's ability to naturally tighten a bolt to exactly 5.00Nm, 78% of participants stated they have worked as a Professional Mechanic. The Average Score was 6.22 Nm, about 25% in excess of the target specification. 56 people scored below the target, 97 people scored above the target. 34 people scored at least 20% below the target. 70 people scored more than 20% above the target. The lowest result was 1.41Nm - scored by more than one person. Seven participants scored within the 13's. The highest score was 13.96Nm."

Read the full post on World Bicycle Mechanic Forum's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AoPB...kw6R8dvZCW3BkI
Old 11-02-17, 11:46 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
"At interbike 2017 PBMA hosted the Attack Torque Survey sponsored by Prestacycle. A test of a Professional's ability to naturally tighten a bolt to exactly 5.00Nm, 78% of participants stated they have worked as a Professional Mechanic. The Average Score was 6.22 Nm, about 25% in excess of the target specification. 56 people scored below the target, 97 people scored above the target. 34 people scored at least 20% below the target. 70 people scored more than 20% above the target. The lowest result was 1.41Nm - scored by more than one person. Seven participants scored within the 13's. The highest score was 13.96Nm."

Read the full post on World Bicycle Mechanic Forum's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AoPB...kw6R8dvZCW3BkI
As expected. However, for practical purposes, not one LBS in my city uses one, most not even have a torque wrench. For steel and aluminium, hand tight seems to work for 99.9% of the mechanics.

For carbon parts, I'd not risk it, but for steel and alu - I think hand tight by feel (and experience) is good enough.
Old 11-03-17, 12:10 AM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Liked 126 Times in 75 Posts
I'm curious to try doing a test like that tomorrow. I have a fancy torque wrench, and it doesn't come out for 90% of the bikes I work on. Anything involving carbon or modern 2-piece cranksets get the torque wrench though.
Old 11-03-17, 06:04 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
As expected. However, for practical purposes, not one LBS in my city uses one, most not even have a torque wrench. For steel and aluminium, hand tight seems to work for 99.9% of the mechanics.

For carbon parts, I'd not risk it, but for steel and alu - I think hand tight by feel (and experience) is good enough.
OTOH - How many threads have been posted about left side crank arms coming loose?
Old 11-03-17, 06:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
OTOH - How many threads have been posted about left side crank arms coming loose?
And distorted square taper crank arms and loose bottom bracket cups, etc........
Old 11-03-17, 06:10 AM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think your sample might be biased but it is or may be interesting that there is a bias towards left side cranks.
Old 11-03-17, 06:29 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by chorlton
I think your sample might be biased but it is or may be interesting that there is a bias towards left side cranks.
That's because the right crank does not transmit drive torque to the spindle as the left crank does.
Old 11-03-17, 06:30 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by chorlton
Well, many ”modern” cranksets have the bb axle permanently bonded to the DS crank, which only leaves the left able to come loose.
For square taper I’ve read an explanation somewhere based on the theory that the DS, being restrained by the chain, doesn’t see forces changing direction between pedalling and coasting the way the NDS does.
Don’t remember the exact phrases, but it sounded good at the time.
Old 11-03-17, 06:46 AM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
That's because the right crank does not transmit drive torque to the spindle as the left crank does.
I think I am going to regret asking that one but your explanation sounds good to me. Now... about greasing the spindle before putting the arm on?
Old 11-03-17, 07:04 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
How many of those were mounted by experienced, whether home, or proffessional mechanics would be the right question.
Old 11-03-17, 07:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

When I first started working on bikes I never thought to get a torque wrench and installed bottom bracket cups (cup-and cone) and crank arms (square taper) by getting them "good and tight". Being a relatively small and light rider I never had one loosen but when I finally did get a torque wrench I was amazed how much tighter I had to go to get to the specified torque.

Newer components like stem bolts on carbon steerers, two piece crank left arms, etc. aren't as forgiving of "close enough".
Old 11-03-17, 07:38 AM
Velocivixen

Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
That’s like trying to judge a tires inflation level by squeezing the tire, IMO. what’s wrong with using a torque wrench? Is it a tool that shops don’t feel the need to spend money on?
Old 11-03-17, 08:02 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
No need for a torque wrench. Just use the German standard of Gudentite.
Old 11-03-17, 08:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,018 Times in 3,452 Posts
Though a torque value is specified for most everything. Many parts probably have a very wide range of torque that is adequate for safe use. I don't think that it is even expected by the manufacturer to use them for everything.

Will the end all to this be that we start using a torque wrench for everything and then still find us in court because we didn't get the wrench re-calibrated every six to twelve months? Will it go to the extreme of having to document what torque wrench was used to torque what bolt/nut.
Old 11-03-17, 08:22 AM
AndreyT

Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
"...The Average Score was 6.22 Nm, about 25% in excess of the target specification. 56 people scored below the target, 97 people scored above the target. 34 people scored at least 20% below the target. 70 people scored more than 20% above the target. The lowest result was 1.41Nm - scored by more than one person. Seven participants scored within the 13's. The highest score was 13.96Nm."
Now they should repeat the same test with torgue wrenches. I'm sure the results and their distribution won't be much different.
Old 11-03-17, 08:24 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
No need for a torque wrench. Just use the German standard of Gudentite.
Often followed by gebroken.
Old 11-03-17, 08:41 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
But then you get to use your bolt extractor and other ez out tools you bought and never use and then get to break those as well.
Old 11-03-17, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,008 Times in 1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Now they should repeat the same test with torgue wrenches. I'm sure the results and their distribution won't be much different.

Probably no difference on the high side, but a torque wrench should reduce under-torqueing.

I've heard of a study the local calibration lab did on fasteners tightened with torque wrenches. Interestingly enough, those tightened by skilled mechanics with a beam-type wrench were the closest to the specified values. Less skilled (ahem) and skilled mechanics had reproducible results with the click type torque wrench -- they almost always came in high. Apparently when the torque wrench "broke" the landing on the next pawl overtightened the fastener to the next highest click torque level. That was reproducible with every operator and almost every fastener.
Old 11-03-17, 09:24 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Mechanics (IME) are the absolute worst at this, because they have to work on everything. I work on three bikes. The carbon always gets the torque wrench. The steel and aluminum get "feel" because they're more forgiving and the bolts don't move around due to flex. All I know for sure is that carbon is annoying-- definitely not a "set it and forget it" situation. The bike only gets the torque wrench, and I have to re-torque things like stem and seatpost binder bolts weekly at least.
Old 11-03-17, 09:32 AM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,124 Times in 776 Posts
^^^Yeah, the beam wrenches tend to stay calibrated longer and tolerate more abuse. Not as convenient to use but generally less expensive and if you only occasionally have to torque something would be the best choice IMO. As mentioned already, many of the cheaper clicker torque wrenches that find their way into a cyclists tool box can be off by quite a bit when new and continue to get worse with use.
Old 11-03-17, 09:41 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Kersnapen.
Old 11-03-17, 09:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,018 Times in 3,452 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The carbon always gets the torque wrench. The steel and aluminum get "feel" because they're more forgiving and the bolts don't move around due to flex. All I know for sure is that carbon is annoying-- definitely not a "set it and forget it" situation. The bike only gets the torque wrench, and I have to re-torque things like stem and seatpost binder bolts weekly at least.
Good point about the material differences. I'd be more likely to worry about torque on aluminum and carbon frames because over-torquing the material can be more disastrous.

I've also wondered about the torque on things such as carbon frames and seat posts that are actually built to be truly light. Not the cheap ones that are carbon just to get a sale from those that are "marketing" oriented and not "performance" oriented.

I thought I'd noticed some mechanics on professional teams seem to give a lot of attention to seat posts and wondered if the differnce between the torque to hold your seat post securely and not damage the carbon was such that it loosened over time. Therefore it needs to be checked regularly.
Old 11-03-17, 09:48 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Apparently when the torque wrench "broke" the landing on the next pawl overtightened the fastener to the next highest click torque level. That was reproducible with every operator and almost every fastener.
Thank you. I'm glad I read this. When using the torque wrench that I have (click), it has always "felt" like I was going a bit far.
Old 11-03-17, 09:50 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
That’s like trying to judge a tires inflation level by squeezing the tire, IMO. what’s wrong with using a torque wrench? Is it a tool that shops don’t feel the need to spend money on?
Pride, I guess? A torque wrench allows anyone who can fog a mirror to torque a square-taper crank correctly, so then the shop rats would have to find something else to feel superior about.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-03-17, 09:51 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
and I have to re-torque things like stem and seatpost binder bolts weekly at least.

Seriously? That often? I don't have a CF bike or any CF components so I have no experience with that. Seems like that would be very annoying after a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.