Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kickr v. Kickr Snap

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Kickr v. Kickr Snap

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 06:48 PM
RShantz

Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by D.zo
I can't speak much for the snap but I have had the KICKR for about a year and a half and I love it. Bought it used for pretty cheap and have used it with both zwift and trainer road.

I like not having to worry about tire pressure, tension, etc. My favorite part about the thing is automatic resistance.

I use the powertap p1 pedals that track power during indoor workouts. Keeps it consistent with my outdoor work outs.
You mention that you use your KICKR with TR and seem satisfied. I love mine while using Zwift if simply riding around or even doing races, but my KICKR sucks on TR workouts or custom Zwift workouts.

I guess it doesn't suck on all workouts, just those with sharp intensity peaks. Say 150W to 300W - it takes forever to get the resistance up to 300W. My old Computrainer handled quick, large intensity changes much better.
Old 10-31-17, 07:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,298 Times in 3,298 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Wahoo responded to the effect that the 11s cassette that ships with the kickr would work with 11s campy drivetrain. 10s is an issue they're working on.

However this is marginally helpful. I'm doubting that my chain sized for my bike's 12-29 cassette will work well on the stock 11-25. So I'd have to shop for a nearest neighbor sram cassette that would work with my chain, and just getting an extra campy 12-29 is currently out of the question I guess.
I may opt for the direto which does offer a hub adapter for campy.
My Kickr came with an 11 speed SRAM 11-26 cassette. It works fine with my Campy drivetrain, which is normally set up for a Campy 12-29 cassette. No adjustments were needed.
Old 11-01-17, 07:43 AM
Dreaded1

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by green123
I'd like to get the Kikr but prefer to avoid mounting and unmounting my rear wheel everytime.
Would it be reasonable to use it on my hybrid bike (Sirius) that I haven't used much lately? Or should I stick to my road bike?
If the hybrid is geared similarly I would go that route. I have been using my old road bike on the trainer so I didn't ahve to worry about tire wear, and now with the Kickr I wont have to worry about removing the rear wheel. I am doing for fitness during the winter and it doesn't matter to me if I am using the same bike that I ride during the summer.
Old 11-02-17, 05:52 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
You mention that you use your KICKR with TR and seem satisfied. I love mine while using Zwift if simply riding around or even doing races, but my KICKR sucks on TR workouts or custom Zwift workouts.

I guess it doesn't suck on all workouts, just those with sharp intensity peaks. Say 150W to 300W - it takes forever to get the resistance up to 300W. My old Computrainer handled quick, large intensity changes much better.
How long is "forever"? Mine needs maintenance after a few years but still only takes a couple of seconds to make a jump like that. Are you saying 10-15s to ramp up, or 3-5s?
Old 11-02-17, 06:03 PM
RShantz

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
How long is "forever"? Mine needs maintenance after a few years but still only takes a couple of seconds to make a jump like that. Are you saying 10-15s to ramp up, or 3-5s?

Forever is 10-15s - on the KICKR

The CT would make the jump in 3-5.

I've just learned not to do pre-set workouts on the KICKR. I still like the KICKR - just pointing out a negative or at least a negative on mine.
Old 11-02-17, 07:40 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My kicker changes within 3 seconds..not sure what’s going on with yours or your network//wifi...kickr/17
Old 11-03-17, 06:05 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Forever is 10-15s - on the KICKR

The CT would make the jump in 3-5.

I've just learned not to do pre-set workouts on the KICKR. I still like the KICKR - just pointing out a negative or at least a negative on mine.
I wouldnt take that to mean not to do them... just add 10 seconds when defining any 1 minute intervals.

Longer intervals, 10s doesn't even matter.
Old 11-03-17, 07:13 AM
Dreaded1

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up the kickr last night and it is in excellent condition, no noticeable wear on the drive belt and everything seemed ducky. When I got it home the first thing I did was check the firmware and it was way out of date, it went fro v1.3xxx to 1.5xxx. Then I went to make sure the right cassette was installed, yup 10 speed. Oh wait here comes the problem, I recounted the cassette on my bike and it is a 9 speed . I throw the bike on anyway just to give a try and of course the shifting is off.

Now I thinking what do I need to replace? Shifters, chain, are the 9 speed shifters and chain compatible with a 10 speed cassette. What would be the cost of converting the bike to 10 speed? In short, too much. A quick search of the Wahoo page today I found out the Kickr will accept a 9 speed cassette, so I will be at my LBS tomorrow picking up a new cassette and using their tools to change it out. Which actually works out, because my friend picked up a Kickr this year and needs the 10 speed I no longer need.

During the brief ride last night I figured out the resitance on the Kickr is def more true to road than the old mag trainer I had been using. Now I just need to figure out if I am going with TR or Zwift for the Winter.

Last edited by Dreaded1; 11-03-17 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-03-17, 09:00 AM
RShantz

Originally Posted by nycphotography
I wouldnt take that to mean not to do them... just add 10 seconds when defining any 1 minute intervals.

Longer intervals, 10s doesn't even matter.

Wasn't talking about longer intervals.

And the delay does matter for training.
Old 11-03-17, 10:04 AM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP here. Thanks everyone for the comments; very enlightening. However, what I was looking for was advice as to whether the 2017 Kickr is so much better than the 2017 Snap that it's worth the $600 up-charge. Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-17, 11:53 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Yes KICKR is worth $600 over the SNAP.

Assuming you can drop the $600 together without budget damage.

Of course this just my opinion. If it were an absolute fact, then nobody would buy the snap and it would be discontinued.
Old 11-03-17, 12:26 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I would agree with NYC. If your budget allows it buy the KICKR over the Snap. Function is fantastic and you never have to worry about stuff like tire wear or inflation or roller tension. Just get on and go.

That said...if your budget doesn't allow it the Snap is a great unit at it's price level.
Old 11-03-17, 01:16 PM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I wish I never opened this thread, now I NEED a Kick 17 and the soon to be released Climb add on.
Old 11-03-17, 01:49 PM
RShantz

Originally Posted by Hunterdog
OP here. Thanks everyone for the comments; very enlightening. However, what I was looking for was advice as to whether the 2017 Kickr is so much better than the 2017 Snap that it's worth the $600 up-charge. Any thoughts?

Here's one way of looking at it.

Most would agree the KICKR is the better product.

Then, are you the type that can be satisfied with the lessor product? Only you can answer this. If so, consider how often you are going to use a trainer. Once a month - probably not worth the $600. Three or four times a week in the winter - likely so.
Old 11-03-17, 02:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,613 Times in 1,061 Posts

Then, are you the type that can be satisfied with the lessor product? Only you can answer this. If so, consider how often you are going to use a trainer. Once a month - probably not worth the $600. Three or four times a week in the winter - likely so.
There are multitudes of comparisons possible. For example you could compare either of these to the Direto, which splits the cost difference to $300 more (snap) vs. $300 less (kickr).
Old 11-04-17, 12:24 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having just set up and gone through some "set up issues" with my new KICKR, let me give you my 2 cents worth.

1. The new KICKR '17 IS NOT designed to have a Campy freehub. The freehub adaptor you may see in some places is for the previous generations. Most retailers don't even know this. I bought mine from Competitive cyclist and ordered the freehub adaptor for Campy. Wouldn't fit. After a few calls and some research from CC and Wahoo, we all found out.

2. The KICKR has a spacer that is meant for the use of 10 sp cassettes. Put the spacer in and then the cassette. I use a Campy 10 sp drivetrain bike on it. Haven't tried the 11 sp on it yet. Likely never will really.

3. There is a bunch of campy 10 and 11 sp conversion cassettes on the web that have Shimano spline and campy spacer cogs. Most have been discontinued and are difficult to find in stock. I found 2 for 10 sp and one for 11 sp. Ultimately, a huge waste of money as the 10 and 11 sp Shimano or sram cassettes work more than well enough on campy 10 and 11 sp drivetrains. ESPECIALLY if the trainer is set in ERGO mode, which will control the resistance regardless of what gear you are on. In other words, you won't be shifting much, if at all!!

4. I have only used mine with the Sufferfest app so far. Works very well. Now I have every metric known to man screaming at my face YOU SUCK!!!!

5. KICKR is best used, in my humble opinion, for structured work outs and intervals. While I want to use it eventually to do pre-recorded rides of epic climbs and such controlling the resistance and grade in the trainer, I suspect the majority of people will use it for structured work out.

6. Getting it level in my garage floor has been a bit of a challenge. This remains unsolved other than using a variety of stuff under the leg pods to get it level.

7. I had a hard time (never happened) pairing the Garmin HR monitor strap to the Sufferfest or Wahoo app, so ended up ordering the wahoo HR monitor strap to go with it.

8. I had my bike on a Lemond Revolutions trainers before. The KICKR is at least half as loud as the Lemond even when you account for the extra fan I have running now. Still, my set up is in the garage.
Old 11-06-17, 06:58 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
There are multitudes of comparisons possible. For example you could compare either of these to the Direto, which splits the cost difference to $300 more (snap) vs. $300 less (kickr).
Of note here though is something that I just learned this last week. The KICKR is in a league of it's own in terms of ERG mode. Just about every other trainer out there, including the much vaunted Neo, is inferior to the KICKR if ERG mode is a key consideration. He Direto and Flux both have a wattage floor that one must be under in order for ERG mode to function.

If ERG mode is critical to you...then there can be only one...and it's the KICKR.
Old 11-06-17, 09:22 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Do you have any references for the NEO issues?

As far as I am aware, both the Kickr and the Neo are excellent in erg mode.

https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/er...-tacx-neo-2469
Old 11-07-17, 09:32 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Liked 53 Times in 38 Posts

But what makes it the better product? I don't have a basis for saying it's not, but is it the direct drive aspect? Is it something beyond that? And if it's just direct drive, what's better about that in the general case - yeah, I get that you don't wear out your tire, but $600 is at least 10 new tires, which is *a lot* of trainer riding.
Old 11-07-17, 10:53 PM
nycphotography
NYC

It (Kickr) is less hassle changing tires, it's quieter, it never slips due to tension, it never scratches up your frame or skewer by clamping over it, it never wears out the tire, it works better in erg mode due to the heavier flywheel effect, and in general it works (slightly) better.

That said, all of those "benefits" are really conveniences, and you can train 100% as effectively with the snap.

The question is, how much is convenience and aesthetics worth to you? To me, spending the extra $600 was a no brainer. To someone else, saving the $600 is a no brainer.

The challenge is if you're in the middle... then it's a decision. And it's a decision based on value considerations that nobody can answer for you.
Old 11-08-17, 06:06 AM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Mine arrive Tuesday.
Old 11-08-17, 07:19 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Liked 53 Times in 38 Posts
Thanks nycphotography - helpful assessment.
Old 11-08-17, 02:44 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunterdog

Okay . . . let me be the voice of dissent. I bought the Kickr Snap over a year ago. It works great. (I use Zwift.)

For me, having to use a trainer tire (and wheel) isn't a big deal. I use the same trainer tire and wheel today that I bought several years ago. It used to be red. Now, it's pink. But it isn't close to needing replacement and it still works great. Adjusting the pressure on the wheel isn't a big deal, either. Crank until it touches, then two full turns. Done. And tire pressure? I would be airing up the tire if I were riding outdoors, so why not?

Once you're on the trainer and turning pedals, you won't know which Kickr product you're using, so why pay the extra money?

But, how many days per year do you plan to be on the trainer? If you're on it 120+ days per year, maybe the Kickr is worth the extra money. You'll never have to check the pressure in your back tire -- and you can amortize the extra cost that first year at $5 per ride. It's like tipping your personal valet $5 a day to air up your tire and turn the trainer's tension screw.

I always HOPE to be on the trainer fewer than 20 times per year. Sometimes I make it and sometimes I don't, but I'm always close. At that volume, the cost difference is $30 per ride. That's waaaay too much to pay to avoid turning a knob and airing up a tire.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 11-08-17 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 07:01 PM
Athens80

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Once you're on the trainer and turning pedals, you won't know which Kickr product you're using, so why pay the extra money?
I always HOPE to be on the trainer fewer than 20 times per year. Sometimes I make it and sometimes I don't, but I'm always close. At that volume, the cost difference is $30 per ride. That's waaaay too much to pay to avoid turning a knob and airing up a tire.
Very reasonable assessment.

Zwift riders have more reports on the Zwift forums of issues with the Snap than with the KICKR. There appears to be more difference, at least in Zwift, than having to air up the tire on the Snap occasionally.
Old 11-08-17, 08:01 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Very reasonable assessment.

Zwift riders have more reports on the Zwift forums of issues with the Snap than with the KICKR. There appears to be more difference, at least in Zwift, than having to air up the tire on the Snap occasionally.

Since the two products use the same technology and are manufactured by the same company, I don't think Quality Control is very likely a meaningful difference. I suspect they are pretty close to being equally good. If I (for sake of argument) agree with your assertion that there are more Zwift forum complaints about the Snap, how could it possibly be that the two products are equally good?

If the Snap and the KICKR are equally good, it would only make sense that the number of complaints concerning the Snap would be a MULTIPLE of the number of KICKR complaints. In fact, if the number of complaints were equal, I would be extremely concerned about the quality of the KICKR. Why? Because Wahoo sells several Snaps for every KICKR they sell. If they are equally good, there should be several complaints about the Snap for every complaint about the KICKR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.