Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

People have started noticing in the office

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 07:48 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 493 Times in 386 Posts

After the last few rides in, my co-workers have started to notice that I've been cycling. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Do I look that bad? I try to clean up, but I'm also riding harder so I'm probably still sweating after.
Old 11-04-17, 08:06 AM
VRC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe it's your bicycle giving you away?
At my work, when people hear or see you coming on a bike one day that becomes their #1 topic of conversation from there on out. "Did you bike today?" "Do you ride on the bike I saw in your office?" 😂

Anyway, if you are riding harder you should go faster and have more time to clean up!
Old 11-04-17, 08:16 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe you just look happy and relaxed after enjoying a pleasant morning ride instead of being trapped in a smoggy can of road rage
Old 11-04-17, 08:45 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Maybe you look healthier and have a toned physique. Are you radiating hormones as well?
Old 11-04-17, 08:48 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Liked 3,681 Times in 1,685 Posts
you're happier... they notice that a lot.
Old 11-04-17, 09:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,611 Times in 2,359 Posts
you can avoid more comments from colleagues by arriving before them. but you can't avoid talking about it altogether. most comments are probably positive but there always seem to be some skeptics. plus there are those that are jealous, intimidated or feel more insecure about themselves. try to stay humble & modest. used to work with a female bloodhound. one time after a lunchtime walk she said: "oh you're sweaty" & made a weird face. I didn't smell but she was perturbed by the possibility I think
Old 11-04-17, 01:05 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Someone I have worked with for 20 years recently asked me if I am now riding my bike to work most days now. Um, well, this is a small office, I park my bike in the hallway, potential clients are shown my bike (and he is in sales), I wear full kit to morning meetings, and have been doing so daily for 8 years. Maybe he might pick up on a clue now and then?
Old 11-04-17, 02:04 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
After the last few rides in, my co-workers have started to notice that I've been cycling. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Do I look that bad? I try to clean up, but I'm also riding harder so I'm probably still sweating after.
13 years on this forum, and 5000+ posts, and your co-workers have just now noticed that you ride a bike?

A few different jobs over the years, a lot of people noticed my bike. It wasn't too hard to spot, especially at some places when I was the only one that rode.

I'm pretty much car-free now, but generally just doing errands. Some store employees have noticed me. A few things give me away. Backpack, bike helmet, cycling jacket, right pants cuff stuffed in the sock. That little clickity-clack of cleats on the floor. Tights? Skunk stripe? Drenched to the bone

Oh, and then there is buying a little tiny item and asking for it to be put on hold since I wasn't prepared to carry it home.
Old 11-04-17, 03:19 PM
zacster

I'm on the 31st floor of my building, nobody sees the bike, and I've already changed. It is only recently that I started riding hard enough that you can tell that I've been cycling in. No tights, although I wear them, no stripe, I have fenders, drenched, well yes. That I think is the clue.
Old 11-04-17, 03:45 PM
Iridium56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could commute by bike. But I'm scared of becoming road kill. San Antonio,TX is not the most bike friendly city. I have even had jerks in cars yell at me to "get out of the street and on to the sidewalk." While I was on a bike lane.... on a residential street..... while I had right-of-way. Whatever.
Old 11-04-17, 04:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
I commute year round and occasionally see coworkers in the elevator.

In the spring: are you still riding your bike? it's so windy!
In summer: are you still riding your bike? it's so hot!
In the fall: are you still riding your bike? it's so rainy!
In the winter: are you still riding your bike? it's so cold!
Old 11-04-17, 05:18 PM
PortlandEddie

Bikes: Fuji cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as you took the precautions for you not to be "smelly" that's probably not it. Maybe they want to ask you about biking to work. Maybe they want a bike too? I'm sure with the recent events with bicycles in New York they want to know more...? Always assume they have good intent. If they snub their nose at you then they wouldn't be asking. I ride 3ish times a week and other's love asking how was the ride?, what bike do i have, other's have started riding too!
Old 11-04-17, 06:33 PM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,561 Times in 1,063 Posts
Take a toothbrush with you and brush when you get to work. You're probably happily smiling while riding in and your co-workers are probably noticing the bugs that have splattered on your teeth.

(old 'happy motorcyclist' joke)
Old 11-04-17, 07:52 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

It also gets dark from time to time, that really blows the minds somehow.
Old 11-04-17, 08:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
You are in NYC. It is the temporary good will one experiences after a terrorist attack. For a few weeks after Sept 11th, for example, people were happy to see me flying with kids, the idea being, I suppose, that you don't bring the kids along for a hijacking.
Old 11-04-17, 10:04 PM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
The pile of cycling clothes and towel on my chair at work. helmet on the desk and the collection of lights and gps charging on the desk give me away.
Old 11-05-17, 04:42 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iridium56
I wish I could commute by bike. But I'm scared of becoming road kill. San Antonio,TX is not the most bike friendly city. I have even had jerks in cars yell at me to "get out of the street and on to the sidewalk." While I was on a bike lane.... on a residential street..... while I had right-of-way. Whatever.
I had no problems taking the san antonio river greenway from downtown to brooks city base for a couple years.

I took the leon creek greenway from De Zavala/10 to whatever mall it ends at as well, and then to downtown. I think I only had two or three heckling incidents.

The most aggressive heckling I got was downtown when I was walking on the sidewalk and refused to yield to a cyclist.
Old 11-05-17, 04:44 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaelen
It also gets dark from time to time, that really blows the minds somehow.
God, I love it when it's dark. I hade the greenway to myself for miles at a time. It was glorious.

Now I just live in the middle of nowhere with no traffic, which is also glorious from a cycling perspective.
Old 11-05-17, 05:31 AM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Own it. Be proud of what you are doing. Find a way to eliminate smelling like a chest beating gorilla.
Old 11-05-17, 06:03 AM
work4bike

Liked 1,087 Times in 821 Posts
My bike is my primary form of transportation and I'm kind of easy to spot from other cyclists, since I'm the only one that has large panniers (and I'm always in the road; never on the sidewalk/bikepath). It's quite common for people (I don't even know) come up to me and ask me how many miles I ride per day and other questions. I've even been asked these questions at stop lights.

We dedicated cyclists are a curiosity.
Old 11-05-17, 06:35 AM
zacster

I think one thing to watch for is the helmet. They are a ***** to get the smell out.
Old 11-05-17, 10:33 AM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I think one thing to watch for is the helmet. They are a ***** to get the smell out.

I usually take my helmet off when I get to my desk. YMMV
Old 11-05-17, 11:10 AM
tengtengvn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bike to work when I can. The reaction from other co-workers has been positive (I think). But it's kinda sad that we have a big office and I'm the only one riding a bike. Occasionally, I ride my Segway to work.

Last edited by tengtengvn; 11-05-17 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 11:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,630 Times in 1,530 Posts
It might be admiration. Anyway, you're in NYC, and bike commuting isn't weird here any more. Anyone who still thinks it is will be left behind.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-05-17, 12:48 PM
rjmeyer67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

Ditto! Then the assumption that I've had too many DUIs. So many just don't get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.