Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will on purpose overinflation seat my new tire on the bead?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 03:29 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Liked 459 Times in 327 Posts

So I'm mounting a new Michelin Power All Season 700 x 25 tire onto a new Velocity A23 rim with a new velox 19mm rim tape. The tube is a pink Vitoria latex. After one pinched tube accidental blowout, I successfully patched the blowout with an ordinary Rema Tip Top patch. The Vitoria tube did not blow out this time and I deflated it and pushed the tire bead in around the perimeter in order to assure that no pink inner tube was showing. I was satisfied that it was pinch free so I took the pressure up to about 75 psi and mounted it back in my frame. Unfortunately, part of the bead has now dropped into the lower part of the interior of the rim causing a pronounced wheel hop. I deflated it one more time and tried to manipulate the tire bead in that low section to try to make it rise up to the higher part of the inner rim side wall. But it didn't work! So I walked away in order to seek guidance here. Can somebody give me some advice on how to get it to rise up where it should be? I thought of pumping it up past the max psi (which is marked 109 on the sidewall) until it pops out but I fear this could cause another blowout. Another idea is to just ride it like this and let my body weight while it is rolling try to make it settle in. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-07-17, 03:37 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Pump up to max.
Old 11-07-17, 03:39 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by trailangel
Pump up to max.
OK - I'm feeling kind of skittish about this but will take it up to like 120 psi next & see what happens.
Old 11-07-17, 03:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,214 Times in 2,041 Posts
with psi 1/2 to rating; try rolling the wheel firmly on the flat ground back & forth making passes over the area in question. Bounce it some on the opposing end. Lastly, try massaging the tire toward the dropped area in the wheel.
Old 11-07-17, 03:44 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 780 Times in 565 Posts
rim tape is too wide.... and old school THICK.

i gave up on velox tape years ago... i like being able to reuse a rim band instead of throwing 5 bucks or more in the trash every time a spoke or nipple needs replaced
Old 11-07-17, 03:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
So I'm mounting a new Michelin Power All Season 700 x 25 tire onto a new Velocity A23 rim with a new velox 19mm rim tape. The tube is a pink Vitoria latex. After one pinched tube accidental blowout, I successfully patched the blowout with an ordinary Rema Tip Top patch. The Vitoria tube did not blow out this time and I deflated it and pushed the tire bead in around the perimeter in order to assure that no pink inner tube was showing. I was satisfied that it was pinch free so I took the pressure up to about 75 psi and mounted it back in my frame. Unfortunately, part of the bead has now dropped into the lower part of the interior of the rim causing a pronounced wheel hop. I deflated it one more time and tried to manipulate the tire bead in that low section to try to make it rise up to the higher part of the inner rim side wall. But it didn't work! So I walked away in order to seek guidance here. Can somebody give me some advice on how to get it to rise up where it should be? I thought of pumping it up past the max psi (which is marked 109 on the sidewall) until it pops out but I fear this could cause another blowout. Another idea is to just ride it like this and let my body weight while it is rolling try to make it settle in. Thanks for any suggestions.
From the Velocity website:

A tubeless ready design makes this rim ideal for road and cyclocross applications.

Tight tolerances require the use of a low profile rim tape like Velotape to avoid tire installation issues.
That means no Velox.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-07-17, 03:50 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Good idea that, after putting in your tube, you pump it up, deflate and pump it up again to the desired pressure-- nothing to do with seating the rubber. You're having a problem no one ever has... could be the tire is not seated all-around like you think it is and no way it should blow off the rim at 120. It might be time to look for another tire.
Old 11-07-17, 03:52 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by McBTC
You're having a problem no one ever has... might be time to look for another tire.
On the contrary, he's having a problem that lots of people have faced when they try to use Velox cloth tape on modern rims. The rim and tire would likely be fine together otherwise.

Or are you playing dumb?
RUSA #7498
Old 11-07-17, 03:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,023 Times in 3,457 Posts
Sometimes. I did this on an old Schwinn with steel rims. I went quite a bit over max up to around 150 psi. Most of the time it didn't work. A few times, it blew off the rim destroying the tube. For the few times it did work, it wasn't worth the chance of blowing more tubes. So I experimented with various low pressures and pushing in on the sidewalls where it wasn't at the proper seat depth. That was time consuming at first, but I got better at it. A little soapy water or talc helps too
Old 11-07-17, 04:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,023 Times in 3,457 Posts
I saw someone else mentioned it, but yeah, 19 mm rim tape is way to wide. You probably only need something like 11 mm to 13 mm at the most. Rim tape should only be wide enough cover the spoke ends or spoke holes on a double wall by about a mm or so on either side. It should never be outside the narrow channel. So with tape running up on the part of the rim where the tire is going to have to seat, you will have issues.

It's getting harder to find the narrow tape lately. Not sure what's up with that.
Old 11-07-17, 04:11 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I too experienced this years (and I do mean YEARS) ago. In my infinite wisdom and stupidity I shot a bead of WD40 all the way around the tire seating area. Tire popped right up into place and I never had a problem with it shifting or leaving the rim. Now that I'm hopefully a little wiser, I'd try soapy water or corn starch in place of the WD40.
Jon
Old 11-07-17, 04:32 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
On the contrary, he's having a problem that lots of people have faced when they try to use Velox cloth tape on modern rims. The rim and tire would likely be fine together otherwise.

Or are you playing dumb?
So, you saying these 25 tires with their low TPI extra thick puncture-resistant sidewalls will work fine on 23 rims so long as Velocity's proprietary tape is used? Good to know...
Old 11-07-17, 04:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by McBTC
So, you saying these 25 tires with their low TPI extra thick puncture-resistant sidewalls will work fine on 23 rims so long as Velocity's proprietary tape is used? Good to know...
It doesn't have to be Velocity's, just thin enough that it doesn't add much to the BSD.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-07-17, 04:37 PM
altenwrencher

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
When no one's looking, I slobber some spit into the troublesome area of tire-rim interface, then pump it up, maybe even somewhat overinflated, temporarily. It's always worked.
Old 11-07-17, 04:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,482 Times in 1,975 Posts
Squirt a little dish detergent in some water, swish it around to mix, then use a paint brush to apply it to the tire bead when its on the rim but the tube is fully deflated. Inflate the tube slowly and the soapy water will help lubricate the tire bead as it moves to the properly seated position.
Old 11-07-17, 05:24 PM
masi61

Good news! The bad spot resolved itself! I pumped it up to about 105 psi, rolled the wheel in the frame & observed that the low spot was still there. I didn't panic. Instead I walked away. I went out and ran my lawn mower over leaves, mulching until after dark. Following up, I went back to the bike & spun the wheel. The low spot is gone! Presently the wheel/tire is really round - hopefully when I test ride tomorrow all will be well.
Thanks everybody for your quick responses. In the future I may go with the velo tape, & who knows - tubeless tires might even be tried.
Old 11-07-17, 09:38 PM
Yellowbeard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a word, yes.
Old 11-07-17, 10:33 PM
steppinthrax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if rim sealer can be used on bicycle tires.
Old 11-08-17, 09:09 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,097 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It doesn't have to be Velocity's, just thin enough that it doesn't add much to the BSD.
I have standardized on Continental Easy Tape. It is thin and slick which makes tire mounting easier, and it comes in numerous widths to properly fit into the rim channel, 14 to 26mm in ISO 622. The standard style is good for up to 116psi; if that is not enough they have a high-pressure version which is rated to 220psi.
Old 11-08-17, 10:15 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I have standardized on Continental Easy Tape. It is thin and slick which makes tire mounting easier, and it comes in numerous widths to properly fit into the rim channel, 14 to 26mm in ISO 622. The standard style is good for up to 116psi; if that is not enough they have a high-pressure version which is rated to 220psi.
I've not heard of that product. I'll check it out. But for the time being, the tire is mounted & holding air. So it appears that Velox 19 mm tape is going to be deployed once again.
Old 11-08-17, 12:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Nice! I have not tried that one yet, but I have been impressed by the blue Pacenti tape thus far. I have a roll of Tesa tape which is supposed to be the same as Stan's, which I haven't had occasion to try yet.
RUSA #7498