Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BSO: Which way does the fork go?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BSO: Which way does the fork go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 10:38 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 772 Times in 558 Posts
from the images provided, there is no need to worry about the offset of the forks on those 20" Huffys... and that offset will increase as the bike gets ridden.... :-o

sorry 'bout derailing your thread, RubeRad... but even the experts need review from time to time... and sometimes the only way to achieve that is to get them to think they're teaching someone else at times... let's hope some knowledge was gained on this subject.

Last edited by maddog34; 11-08-17 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 10:58 PM
AndreyT

Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
rake3 [reyk] ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycl...cycle_geometry

BTW, I'm actually with you on this. The term "rake" has definitive "angular" roots. It should be used for angles. And it is used much more properly in motorcycle terminology. Using the term "rake" to refer to offset is preposterous. However, that's just the way it is. This term, as many other terms before and after it, fell victim to the typical American lack of basic technical literacy. Various bicycle-riding Billy-Rays-from-Milwaukee-Wyoming used it that way, others learned from them and eventually cemented this ridiculously improper usage. Now we have to live with it.

Last edited by AndreyT; 11-08-17 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 11:03 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
. let's hope some knowledge was gained on this subject.
Only you can answer that/
Old 11-08-17, 11:27 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by AndreyT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycl...cycle_geometry

BTW, I'm actually with you on this. The term "rake" has definitive "angular" roots. It should be used for angles. And it is used much more properly in motorcycle terminology. Using the term "rake" to refer to offset is preposterous. However, that's just the way it is. This term, as many other terms before and after it, fell victim to the typical American lack of basic technical literacy. Various bicycle-riding Billy-Rays-from-Milwaukee-Wyoming used it that way, others learned from them and eventually cemented this ridiculously improper usage. Now we have to live with it.
dig it.

and i refuse to buy boxes of overpriced dirt with a touch of perfume in it, then teach my cat to crap in it. I teach them to crap outside.

what the crowd does has never impressed me one bit. Mosh pits are fun to watch from above, though!

an old, rather sneaky, professor taught me a few things about TEACHING... one of which you all just witnessed. ;-)

to those that didn't catch on, i say ZOOM.... they focused on, and defended, an improperly used term... the real lesson eludes them to this point, sadly...

Last edited by maddog34; 11-08-17 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 12:40 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
dig it.

and i refuse to buy boxes of overpriced dirt with a touch of perfume in it, then teach my cat to crap in it. I teach them to crap outside.

what the crowd does has never impressed me one bit. Mosh pits are fun to watch from above, though!

an old, rather sneaky, professor taught me a few things about TEACHING... one of which you all just witnessed. ;-)

to those that didn't catch on, i say ZOOM.... they focused on, and defended, an improperly used term... the real lesson eludes them to this point, sadly...

Do you believe your own crap? That's pretty sad. We caught on when you demonstrated how little you comprehend about basic bicycle geometry. Terms aside.
Old 11-09-17, 08:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Liked 2,557 Times in 1,441 Posts
and in the future, use "steeper" or "shallower" when referring to offset... this will avoid confusion, eh? "More" is kinda ambiguous.
Really?

Making up and using new terminology that nobody else in the industry uses, in place of terminology long agreed upon and currently understood by all (except for you), will AVOID confusion?

And seeing how offset is a measure of distance, not angle, your terminology does not even make sense. All it will do is make people confuse offset/rake with head angle (just like you have done).

And "more" is not in any way ambiguous. Everybody who actually understands what rake or offset is will know exactly what that means.

The only confusion here is being generated by you.
Old 11-09-17, 08:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

If you are trying to insinuate that the nonsense and misinformation you have written in this thread was an intentional teaching tool..... nobody is buying it.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-09-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-09-17, 10:26 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,541 Times in 2,627 Posts
Just to stir the pot, here are the top 5 results from searching for "bicycle geometry chart" at images.google.com

Old 11-09-17, 10:29 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

#2 just calls it "I", but the value of 39 is a linear, not angular measure. #4 is poorly labeled, with the label "Rake" simply pointing at the line which is the steering axis., I'm guessing that arrow should have pointed at the line on that diagram that all the other diagrams calle Rake.

Google confirms that (not surprisingly) Dave Moulton is right.

"when referring to bicycles, rake and offset are different terms for the same thing. Both are the term for the distance the wheel center is set from the steering axis, regardless of the head angle."

Sometimes you gotta just let language be what it is, instead of trying to force it to keep being what it was.
Old 11-10-17, 09:41 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by RubeRad
#2 just calls it "I", but the value of 39 is a linear, not angular measure. #4 is poorly labeled, with the label "Rake" simply pointing at the line which is the steering axis., I'm guessing that arrow should have pointed at the line on that diagram that all the other diagrams calle Rake.

Google confirms that (not surprisingly) Dave Moulton is right.

"when referring to bicycles, rake and offset are different terms for the same thing. Both are the term for the distance the wheel center is set from the steering axis, regardless of the head angle."

Sometimes you gotta just let language be what it is, instead of trying to force it to keep being what it was.
In #4, rake is indicating the distance between two parallel lines, one of which is a little hard to see, but goes through the dropout of the fork..... the same measurement as all the others except #1 which indicates the distance is parallel to the ground, rather than perpendicular to the head tube angle as in the other 4.

Also, I would not assume (as one or two others in this thread have) that this terminology was ever any different for bicycles. Nor do I understand why it is assumed that the terminology for motorcycles is any more legit or unchanging than for bikes. They have both been around for a very long time.
Old 11-10-17, 10:25 AM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Entering the danger zone... This bloke also gets it wrong on TED.

https://bicycle.tudelft.nl/schwab/Pub...b2013rider.pdf

Of course I would not wish to argue the point that he has missed because everyone misses it and accepted knowledge is irrefutable. After all everything has already been done and there is nothing that can be contributed to the sum of knowledge by questioning its original basis...
Old 11-10-17, 11:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bottom line: caster comes from the combined effect of head tube angle and rake (whether rake is defined as linear or angular deviation from head tube angle/steering axis). So 0 rake is possible; head tube angle alone provides caster/trail/stability, and kids are not gonna die from a straight fork, or from a fork so near straight that it might get installed backwards causing negligibly negative rake instead of negligibly positive rake.
Old 11-10-17, 12:03 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Really?

Making up and using new terminology that nobody else in the industry uses, in place of terminology long agreed upon and currently understood by all (except for you), will AVOID confusion?

And seeing how offset is a measure of distance, not angle, your terminology does not even make sense. All it will do is make people confuse offset/rake with head angle (just like you have done).

And "more" is not in any way ambiguous. Everybody who actually understands what rake or offset is will know exactly what that means.

The only confusion here is being generated by you.
Zoom.
Old 11-10-17, 12:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by chorlton
Of course I would not wish to argue the point that he has missed because everyone misses it and accepted knowledge is irrefutable. After all everything has already been done and there is nothing that can be contributed to the sum of knowledge by questioning its original basis...
As much as I support the "Question everything! Challenge your assumptions!" philosophy, sometimes you have to take a break from that and deal with the world as it is, not as you imagine it should be.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-10-17, 01:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Zoom.
See post #57.
Old 11-11-17, 08:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
That's it, I'm going to go offset some leaves in the yard.
Old 11-12-17, 04:39 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Obviously it's a common problem.

Saw this hanging on the wall at Target:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
target.jpg (169.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-12-17, 04:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One measurement is worth a thousand assumptions (or in this case two measurements)

With front wheel secured in fork and pointing straight ahead... measure from the BB to the front axle. Swing the front wheel and fork 180* and re measure. Are these dimensions the same? If not there is a rake, even if not obvious. Andy.
I assume it would follow that one half the difference in these 2 dimensions is the amount of fork rake there is?
Old 11-12-17, 09:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 3,999 Times in 2,378 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I assume it would follow that one half the difference in these 2 dimensions is the amount of fork rake there is?

No, but close to the rake (as defined as a dimension from the steering axis to the axle and 90* to the steering axis). What my suggestion will allow to be measured (and then split in half) is along a horizontal to the ground, not perpendicular to the steering axis. The 20* (plus/minus) of difference between these two lines of dimension will produce a different number. If one knew the steering angle and BB drop the real rake is mere trig math away.

Since the OP's question was rake or no rake I offered a quick method of finding that out. Andy
Old 11-12-17, 10:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 3,999 Times in 2,378 Posts
Wow, my computer's freeze up really effected my posting here. So here's the post that was lost-

Some bike builder/designers call castor the angle between the horizontal and a line connecting the point on the ground that the steering axis intersects and the front axle. Attached is a freehand drawing from nearly 45 years ago showing this, in the red. It was Bill Boston who brought this dimension to my attention. He kept this angle to around 81* for his handling goals (and not discounting other frame dimensions and their effect on handling).

Steering geometry and handling is far more complex yet trial and error simple then most are willing to take on competently. Andy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Steering geometry diagram.pdf (156.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 11-13-17 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Totally messed up posting attempts
Old 11-13-17, 09:41 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by 700
Saw this hanging on the wall at Target:
wow, a straight-fork 29er!
Old 11-13-17, 09:42 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Wow, my computer's freeze up really effected my posting here. So here's the post that was lost-

Some bike builder/designers call castor the angle between the horizontal and a line connecting the point on the ground that the steering axis intersects and the front axle. Attached is a freehand drawing from nearly 45 years ago showing this, in the red. It was Bill Boston who brought this dimension to my attention. He kept this angle to around 81* for his handling goals (and not discounting other frame dimensions and their effect on handling).

Steering geometry and handling is far more complex yet trial and error simple then most are willing to take on competently. Andy
Thx Andy, this makes me note that I find it odd it seems that more than half of the diagrams about fork rake/offset/trail, have the bike pointing to the left, instead of to the right. I would never make a left-facing bike diagram, unless it's about disc brakes
Old 11-13-17, 09:59 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,017 Times in 4,261 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
wow, a straight-fork 29er!
With lowrider mounts!

* it's a straight bladed fork, not a straight fork, BTW.