Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Permanent Presta to Schrader adapter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-17, 11:09 AM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered. A search didn’t turn up anything.

Does anyone use these permanent presta to schrader adapters? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP7X1NL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1NWHVGANZ971T&psc=1

It looks like the advantage over just leaving the regular adapters on is that you don’t have to screw the valve closed to leave these on without air leaking.
Old 11-12-17, 07:09 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
It's an adapter that you don't have to remove between air ups. It can't be permanent or you may not be able to remove the tube if it was larger than the rim hole for the presta valve.
Old 11-12-17, 07:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
or you can just drill them out & be done w it. 7 bikes, 14 wheels all schrader
Old 11-12-17, 07:49 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
It's an adapter that you don't have to remove between air ups. It can't be permanent or you may not be able to remove the tube if it was larger than the rim hole for the presta valve.
Right. I think it means “permanent” in the sense that you don’t take them off after each time you air up the tires.
Old 11-12-17, 07:52 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I might end up going this way. I’ve gotten weary of how delicate and finicky presta valves can be. (In case anyone thinks I’m giving up too easily I should note that the relevant bike is two years old and turned 7700 miles today.)
Old 11-12-17, 09:40 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 837 Posts
I use the simple sleeve adapters like the photo I attached.

I've never seen ones like you posted. I suppose they'd save couple of steps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
download.jpg (5.4 KB, 136 views)
Old 11-13-17, 04:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
might end up going this way
usually buy my long stem tubes at REI or Amazon
Old 11-13-17, 05:49 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I might end up going this way. I’ve gotten weary of how delicate and finicky presta valves can be. (In case anyone thinks I’m giving up too easily I should note that the relevant bike is two years old and turned 7700 miles today.)
Maybe you just need a better pump. I don’t understand how a schraeder valve is easier to use.
Old 11-13-17, 06:33 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Can one leave the valve open when using those simple adapters? I've never done so, but I recall reading once that it was possible.
Old 11-13-17, 07:39 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Can one leave the valve open when using those simple adapters? I've never done so, but I recall reading once that it was possible.
I don't, but I suppose the valve could stay open, since that is how it is used to fill the inner tube. My only concern would be that vibration or loosening, tightening of the adapter sleeve could put pressure on the presta "plunger" and cause a slow escape of air.
Old 11-13-17, 07:48 AM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use this kind of adapter now, but I do take it off to tighten the valve, which is cumbersome.

Originally Posted by gregf83
Maybe you just need a better pump. I don’t understand how a schraeder valve is easier to use.
No, it’s not the pump. I have two: a Joe Blow and a Park, both are very high quality.

I don't, but I suppose the valve could stay open, since that is how it is used to fill the inner tube. My only concern would be that vibration or loosening, tightening of the adapter sleeve could put pressure on the presta "plunger" and cause a slow escape of air.
I had that same question @JonathanGennick, but share the concern expressed by @BobbyG.

I think I’ll get a set of these and try them out. At $14, it’s a pretty cheap experiment.
Old 11-13-17, 07:58 AM
BobbyG

I use this kind of adapter now, but I do take it off to tighten the valve, which is cumbersome.

No, it’s not the pump. I have two: a Joe Blow and a Park, both are very high quality.

I had that same question @JonathanGennick, but share the concern expressed by @BobbyG.

I think I’ll get a set of these and try them out. At $14, it’s a pretty cheap experiment.
Let us know how it goes.

(You know you're a commuter when a slight variation in valve-stem adapters grabs your interest.)
Old 11-13-17, 08:43 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked 3,230 Times in 1,845 Posts
Yes, you can leave a presta valve open. A guy I used to race with was annoyed at having to unscrew the knurled bit at the top of his presta valves, so he would snap it off. As long as the tube is holding air, the presta valve won't leak.
Old 11-13-17, 10:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
If you've given up on Presta, no reason not to drill the rims.

I don't like the idea of leaving a valve open all the time with an adapter, even if it "shouldn't" ever leak.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-13-17, 10:38 AM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Yes, you can leave a presta valve open. A guy I used to race with was annoyed at having to unscrew the knurled bit at the top of his presta valves, so he would snap it off. As long as the tube is holding air, the presta valve won't leak.
Good to know.
Old 11-13-17, 11:13 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Why give up on them? I bought my first "real" adult bike around 2007, my 90's KHS MTB, but before I started really riding again in 2012 I used those adapter things. And yeah they were a PITA to deal with. But then I got a floor pump that would work with Presta valves and never looked back. They're WAY easier to deal with. All 3 of my bikes use Presta valves. My wife's bike, kid's bike, and cargo trailer tires use Schrader and I hate them.

Are you using cheap tubes? I've never once had a Presta valve wear out or break, or feel otherwise delicate or finicky, and my road bike has over 13,000 miles on it currently. Schrader valves, on the other hand, have failed on me twice. I went to pump the tires, pulled the pump head off and the entire valve ripped out of the tube, still attached to the pump head.

Now my floor pump, which works with both valve types, has a replaceable seal inside. It's starting to leak a bit while the pump head is attached to the Presta valve. I can usually get the tire pumped up before too much air leaks around the seal. But I really just need to replace that seal in the pump head and all should be good.
Old 11-13-17, 11:38 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Schraeder valves aren't all peaches and cream, I've had a few flats with the tube ripping by the Schraeder valve after many weeks of checking the pressure.
Old 11-13-17, 11:42 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Won't it weaken the rims?
Old 11-13-17, 12:21 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by hermanchauw
Won't it weaken the rims?
the difference in diameter is insignificant
Old 11-13-17, 01:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 2,624 Posts

I have used those types of adapters in the past, and left them on long-term, and never noticed a problem
Old 11-13-17, 04:16 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Why give up on them? I bought my first "real" adult bike around 2007, my 90's KHS MTB, but before I started really riding again in 2012 I used those adapter things. And yeah they were a PITA to deal with. But then I got a floor pump that would work with Presta valves and never looked back. They're WAY easier to deal with. All 3 of my bikes use Presta valves. My wife's bike, kid's bike, and cargo trailer tires use Schrader and I hate them.

Are you using cheap tubes? I've never once had a Presta valve wear out or break, or feel otherwise delicate or finicky, and my road bike has over 13,000 miles on it currently. Schrader valves, on the other hand, have failed on me twice. I went to pump the tires, pulled the pump head off and the entire valve ripped out of the tube, still attached to the pump head.

Now my floor pump, which works with both valve types, has a replaceable seal inside. It's starting to leak a bit while the pump head is attached to the Presta valve. I can usually get the tire pumped up before too much air leaks around the seal. But I really just need to replace that seal in the pump head and all should be good.
I’ve been using Schwalbe or Conti inner tubes, though I’ve also used Q tubes. My pumps are good too: Topeak Joe Blow and a Park Tool. This bike has 7800 miles on it after about 2.5 years. I love everything about this bike except the inner tubes.

The other issue for me is that my frame pump is set up for a Schrader valve (my other bike has Schrader), so if I do get a flat on the way to work, I have to put the adapter on anyway.
Old 11-13-17, 04:34 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Schraeder valves aren't all peaches and cream, I've had a few flats with the tube ripping by the Schraeder valve after many weeks of checking the pressure.
I know I've seen Schraeders threaded all the way down, with a ring just like a Presta to hold them in place on the rim. Not sure what tube brands use them, but they're great for many of the same reasons that we like Prestas; no chasing the stem to get the air chuck on it when the tube is completely flat, and less prone to ripping the tube like that.
Old 11-13-17, 04:50 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

I’ve been using Schwalbe or Conti inner tubes, though I’ve also used Q tubes. My pumps are good too: Topeak Joe Blow and a Park Tool. This bike has 7800 miles on it after about 2.5 years. I love everything about this bike except the inner tubes.

The other issue for me is that my frame pump is set up for a Schrader valve (my other bike has Schrader), so if I do get a flat on the way to work, I have to put the adapter on anyway.
Well the easy solution is to get a Presta frame pump... right?? I just like the ease of Presta valves, with the threaded nut holding the stem in place when pumping up from flat, and the fact that no separate valve cap is needed (the plastic cap on a new tube is to keep the metal valve end from puncturing the tube during shipping, nothing more). I've had 2 flats out on the road I think, and both times my Topeak Road Morph-G mini pump worked just fine to get the Presta tubes pumped back up again.
Old 11-13-17, 04:59 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Well the easy solution is to get a Presta frame pump... right?? I just like the ease of Presta valves, with the threaded nut holding the stem in place when pumping up from flat, and the fact that no separate valve cap is needed (the plastic cap on a new tube is to keep the metal valve end from puncturing the tube during shipping, nothing more). I've had 2 flats out on the road I think, and both times my Topeak Road Morph-G mini pump worked just fine to get the Presta tubes pumped back up again.
Ha! Buying more equipment is *always* the right solution! By the way, the Topeak Road Morph-G is exactly the pump I use. I think I’ve had mine for 18 years now. It is one of those rare perfect things.
Old 11-15-17, 08:12 AM
PatrickGSR94

Ha! Buying more equipment is *always* the right solution! By the way, the Topeak Road Morph-G is exactly the pump I use. I think I’ve had mine for 18 years now. It is one of those rare perfect things.
Dang I didn't know they had been around that long. I bought mine about 3-4 years ago I think. And just a couple of weeks ago I finally ordered 2 more brackets so I can transfer the pump easily between bikes. I keep it mounted underneath the downtube on all my bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.