Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

request bike recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 01:01 PM
Tony G

Bikes: Crown Jewel,Serotta ottrott, Serotta CSI and a few more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My garage was broken into and they got my Serotta Ottrott, a custom cross bike and a Mt bike.

I’m not too worried about the off road bikes but I do need to hunt down a replacement for the Serotta. I’ll miss that one . I’m insured for current replacement cost so I’d guess I have about a $9,500 budget for the road bike.

Although I have been racing/riding bikes all my life; over the past 7-10 years I have not kept up with the bike industry (I just ride) and I no longer know who are the go-to builders for a bike like a Serotta. I’m not going to race again so comfort is just a little more important than performance. Seven years ago I would have just ran out to get a Parlee but that technology has been around for a while and while I’m sure they still make great bikes I wonder what else is out there.

I’d want to stay away from things like Specialized, Giant and Trek they just don’t touch my soul. For mainstream bikes I could see a Colnago or BMC but I’m much more likely to pick something like Alchemy for carbon or Mosaic for Ti. Although in my area the Mosaic dealer isn’t a shop I’d do business with… I was bummed about that!

I do have a IF Crown Jewel from about 10 years ago so my Ti itch isn’t as itchy as my carbon itch. Although, a Ti gravel bike may replace both the cross and MT Bike.

Anyway, I’m just looking for information as to what builders out there today build solid bikes and can actually deliver within say 3 months.

Thanks
Old 11-20-17, 01:06 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Liked 3,753 Times in 1,716 Posts
if you want to go old school steel and just need a frameset bob jackson is cool. they can make you a smokin frameset from 853 for under a grand. i bought a 631 world tour this year and couldnt be happier.
Old 11-20-17, 01:16 PM
Tony G

Bikes: Crown Jewel,Serotta ottrott, Serotta CSI and a few more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
if you want to go old school steel and just need a frameset bob jackson is cool. they can make you a smokin frameset from 853 for under a grand. i bought a 631 world tour this year and couldnt be happier.
Thanks,

I have a nice steel bike and I'm probably going to limit my search to carbon or Ti.
Old 11-20-17, 01:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Calfee is there in SF for the carbon..