Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Glove Suggestions Please

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter Glove Suggestions Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 03:46 PM
Slash5

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Yep, bar mitts or pogies are the way to go. When I ride the fat bike with them, I find a thin pair of gloves or even summer gloves work fine.
Old 11-22-17, 07:08 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
not sure this helps the OP, but this thread (and today's ride with sweaty gloves) inspired me to order some stuff:
Bar mitts
Semi-warm wicking gloves
Warm wicking gloves

I'll also use the gloves for normal wearing (walking etc.) and it seemed really warm ones like needed for biking would make them too clumsy. so the bar mitt will really help there. and so far the sweatiness of my current leather-covered gloves really made me steer towards wicking type. No matter how well insulated they are, if they are wet they won't be good.
Old 11-22-17, 07:23 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Winter Cycling: https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/
Old 11-22-17, 07:30 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,945 Times in 3,962 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Winter Cycling.
Old 12-02-17, 08:55 PM
Samuraidog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
not sure this helps the OP, but this thread (and today's ride with sweaty gloves) inspired me to order some stuff:
Bar mitts
Semi-warm wicking gloves
Warm wicking gloves

I'll also use the gloves for normal wearing (walking etc.) and it seemed really warm ones like needed for biking would make them too clumsy. so the bar mitt will really help there. and so far the sweatiness of my current leather-covered gloves really made me steer towards wicking type. No matter how well insulated they are, if they are wet they won't be good.
Any feedback you can give on these gloves? Specifically the Plizza Waterproof Windproof Ski Gloves. Thanks.
Old 12-02-17, 09:03 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Samuraidog
Any feedback you can give on these gloves? Specifically the Plizza Waterproof Windproof Ski Gloves. Thanks.
I received all 3 items this week. I returned the bar mitts since they seemed to be just large and bulky and still let the opening open. I think I just deal with gloves as long as I can.

the medium-warm Justkit seem fine. i have L-hands and got the XL, which fits, so they seem to be a size smaller than normal. i rode the bike once since i have the, and they seemed fine.

It is too warm for the Plizza, but they fit well (L-size) and also have the long overlap over the jacket to block cold wind and air. I assume they will be fine, but before it gets cold can't assure.
Old 12-02-17, 10:38 PM
Samuraidog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received all 3 items this week. I returned the bar mitts since they seemed to be just large and bulky and still let the opening open. I think I just deal with gloves as long as I can.

the medium-warm Justkit seem fine. i have L-hands and got the XL, which fits, so they seem to be a size smaller than normal. i rode the bike once since i have the, and they seemed fine.

It is too warm for the Plizza, but they fit well (L-size) and also have the long overlap over the jacket to block cold wind and air. I assume they will be fine, but before it gets cold can't assure.
I'm most interested in the moisture wicking part (and warmth of course). Once you get a decent ride in with the Plizza's, will you please let us know how they fare?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-17, 09:57 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Samuraidog
I finally got to use them at 0-5°F for over an hour. My fingers were still fine. They were a bit wet from sweating, so you need to dry them after the ride. But it didn't impact insulation a lot. I noticed the part that overlaps the jacket is very important. It is easy to tighten and loosen with one hand. if you forget to overlap that, you notice it getting cold there, but properly overlapping keeps it all nice and warm.

Actually my feet were a bigger problem (despite -40°F rated boots, -25°F rated insulation sole and wool socks). So need to try double socks or something before the gloves become the limiting factor.
Old 12-28-17, 09:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
feet were a bigger problem
ever try chemical packs? adhesive toe warmers or taping the better/larger hand warmers to your socks? works great

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-28-17 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-28-17, 11:25 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 1,339 Times in 733 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And the secret to good bicycle operation with mittens? Ride a fix gear. No shifting, no finger dexterity needed.
My winter/foul weather road bike has downtube friction shifters

Note, I hate downtube friction shifters! ...but if you're wearing big clunky mittens or three layers of gloves, beggars can't be choosers. Shimano STI sucks in the winter, and Campy is only slightly less imprecise when you're sporting Homer Simpson fingers.

Obviously, the answer is eTap.
Old 12-28-17, 11:32 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have cheap gloves that are used by people who work/pack frozen food in deep freezers ....

https://www.glovesnstuff.com/work-gl...er-gloves-gfm2

Old 12-28-17, 12:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

just cuz you have gears doesn't mean you have to use them. is this weather we're not going as fast, not shifting as much, no catlike gymnastics, etc. you can get a cpl gears? stay out for an hour or two? you're golden!
Old 12-28-17, 12:21 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by dim
cheap gloves that are used by people who work/pack frozen food in deep freezers ....
nice!
Old 12-28-17, 01:27 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
I use
Pearl Izumi winter gloves with temp in the 35-40 deg F.
Marmot ski gloves 25-35 deg. F.
When it gets really cold below 20 deg F. I use these military style trigger gloves over the regular winter cycling gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-US-M.../dp/B0036ZTDYA

They are huge and hands stays very warm in them. Can not ride longer that an 1.5 hours in temperature like that because my feet could not handle it longer.

I also carry chemical warmers, just in case, but never used them with trigger gloves. At times I use chemical warmers with regular winter cycling gloves with temp. in the 30s.
Old 12-28-17, 01:36 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Andrey
I use

When it gets really cold below 20 deg F. I use these military style trigger gloves over the regular winter cycling gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-US-M.../dp/B0036ZTDYA

They are huge and hands stays very warm in them. Can not ride longer that an 1.5 hours in temperature like that because my feet could not handle it longer.

I also carry chemical warmers, just in case, but never used them with trigger gloves. At times I use chemical warmers with regular winter cycling gloves with temp. in the 30s.
Can you still shift and brake properly with those gloves? (and do you have SRAM or Shimano.... because i think SRAM is more difficult since both triggers are next to each other)
Old 12-28-17, 02:24 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Can you still shift and brake properly with those gloves? (and do you have SRAM or Shimano.... because i think SRAM is more difficult since both triggers are next to each other)
I use Campy on all my bikes now, but I used to have Shimano STI 9 speed before and I had no problems shifting. They are not as flexible as regular gloves but OK, "the trigger" makes it possible to shift.
Old 12-28-17, 04:10 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
ever try chemical packs? adhesive toe warmers or taping the better/larger hand warmers to your socks? works great

Do they last long and are they thick to fit in tight shoes?
Today I rode 1.5 hours in ~9°F and it was fine. I was smarter today and used 2 pairs of woolsocks (last time only one). But if a heating pad is too thick, it would be mutually exclusive to the 2nd pair of socks.
I'll definitely consider those, but for now will try to get by with the double-socks.
Old 12-28-17, 04:38 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Liked 239 Times in 134 Posts
Today I rode 1.5 hours in ~9°F and it was fine. I was smarter today and used 2 pairs of woolsocks (last time only one). But if a heating pad is too thick, it would be mutually exclusive to the 2nd pair of socks.
I'll definitely consider those, but for now will try to get by with the double-socks.
Personally I've never used them but my wife really likes them. They advertise 6 hrs but heat output probably drops off towards the end. I've read that a lot of times the chem packs are duds so test them before you leave the hous.
Old 12-28-17, 07:38 PM
rumrunn6

adhesive toe warmers are quite thin, easy to fit w just 1 pair of socks. when colder I use a thin sock liner, then the warmer, then winter socks. another recipe is winter socks then toe warmers. but when the mercury really dips, only the thicker hand warmers taped to your choice of socks will do. the hand warmers last waaay longer & are warmer. but they do require more room, so use bigger shoes. go buy a cpl sets of each & do a few tests. you'll be glad you did

no matter what they say toe warmers are only good for an hour or two. hand warmers however can keep your feet alive for 4 hrs