Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could We Talk About My Butt?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 12:04 PM
GGDaddy

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

So all this talk about the Selle Anatomica, I thought I'd throw my saddle question out there.

I'm 49, have recently returned to cycling after a couple of decades away from it. I started up in April and have done about 1,300 miles since then--am now at about 80-90 miles a week. I'm 6'4", 195 pounds. Not overweight, but still planning to lose about 10 pounds before the spring season.

My down & front usually goes numb after about 60 minutes in the saddle (the Selle Italia that came stock on my 1986 Bianchi Premio), so I recently upgraded to a Specialized Body Geometry Toupe Expert Gel Saddle. I purchased one with a Padding Level 2 (on a 1-3 scale).

So I put it on my bike at the same time I took my bike indoors to ride on a trainer through the winter. I've ridden on it for about 2 weeks now. I really like the feeling of sitting on my two "sit-bones" and feel like that is the right way to go. So I want to HTFU and get more comfortable on a real saddle, because I'm planning to aim for 150-200 miles a week in 2018.

So here's the problem: my backside has been getting uncomfortably sore around the sit-bones after about 25-30 minutes. If I move around and stand up etc. it helps, but the idea of sitting in that saddle for 120 minutes+ really makes me nervous. I don't know if the problem is worse because I'm using it indoors, so more stationary position etc., or if I'm just not ready yet for a saddle this advanced.

My dilemma is I need to decide now whether to keep the saddle, because my return window to the LBS closes Dec 10. I don't really feel like exchanging it for a padding level 3--I'd prefer to tough it out until the 2 is a good fit.

I'm willing to put up with the soreness for the next couple of months if I come out on the other side with stronger sit-bones. A friend of mine has basically given me his 2007 Cervelo Soloist, which has a Selle Italia seat that looks/feels a lot like my Specialized seat, so toughening my sit bones is probably a good thing.

So my question: should I "tough it out" over the winter to get hardened? Or swap out the saddle and find something more friendly to my sitter?

Many thanks for any perspective you can share!
Old 12-01-17, 12:18 PM
Lazyass

Liked 647 Times in 402 Posts
I don't know. It sounds like with your original saddle you just needed to adjust the tilt down a little. When the nose is too high it will cause the problem you stated, even a couple of degrees makes a big difference. Maybe the new saddle just doesn't fit your butt. If you're up to the mileage you say you are now then the flesh covering your sitbones should be toughened up already.
Old 12-01-17, 12:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,404 Times in 3,729 Posts
So my question: should I "tough it out" over the winter to get hardened? Or swap out the saddle and find something more friendly to my sitter?
Were you ever comfortable on this saddle when you got the bike? If so, changing adjustment both in tilt and fore/aft might help considerably. There is a lot to be said for toughing it out when you are starting back cycling. Some parts of you just have to get used to things that they have not had to do or endure in a long time.

Getting a saddle that's more friendly with your sitter is always an option too. You can do like many of us and start your saddle collection. I had a gel saddle once for a very short time. It seemed very comfortable for the first hour or so, then got very uncomfortable for the remainder of the ride. It wasn't an expensive saddle, but at the same time I read other posts and reviews that expressed similar things about gels. Maybe that prejudiced me. I never tried another.
Old 12-01-17, 12:43 PM
GGDaddy

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I don't know. It sounds like with your original saddle you just needed to adjust the tilt down a little. When the nose is too high it will cause the problem you stated, even a couple of degrees makes a big difference. Maybe the new saddle just doesn't fit your butt. If you're up to the mileage you say you are now then the flesh covering your sitbones should be toughened up already.

Thanks for commenting!

I seriously considered that my original saddle might be tilted. But the flip side is I also had too much pressure on my hands to point of numbness, and tilting it more forward would make it even worse. And when my LBS helped my with seat height they said the tilt was definitely right.

The old seat was mushy, so I wasn't on the sit bones. Do you really think they're as tough as they're going to get? (Not a sarcastic question, just hoping they might get tougher). I really like the fit of the new seat except for the soreness which I figure is more of a me-thing than a seat-thing. But I might be wrong, hence my question...
Old 12-01-17, 12:44 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Just hang on, the recumbent guys will be along shortly to explain the error of your ways.

Seriously, as mentioned above ^ slight adjustments in saddle tilt or fore/aft adjustments, and seatpost height can make big differences. When I slight, I mean slight. Like a few mm's. 1/4" of height or fore/aft adjustment can be huge. 1/8" of saddle tilt can make all the difference in the world.
But of those, I agree with Lazyass above, I'd start with tilt adjustment.

And FWIW. The idea of sitting in ANY saddle for 2+ hours makes me nervous. Without changing position, standing, taking breaks, I'm convinced my arse will be complaining loudly. I was "in the saddle" for over 4 hours last weekend but I wasn't "in the saddle" that whole time. I will say, my but usually gets a bit sore at around 20 minutes but it usually passes.
I would think on a trainer one would tend to just sit and spin with much less "moving around" as would happen out on the road. But I've never ridden a trainer.

In the end, only you can decide if that particular saddle works for you.
Old 12-01-17, 12:49 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
And strangely, I have just recently discovered I prefer my saddle slightly nose up. I have carefully monitored this to make sure it isn't causing any issues in that areas "down there" between point A and B. I put a torpedo level on my saddle, tilt it nose up and measure the drop at the rear. I've been tweaking up and down by 1/8" increments trying to zero in on the sweet spot.
Old 12-01-17, 01:42 PM
GGDaddy

Thanks for the great responses gang. This is my 9th post. The next one I'm allowed to post URL's
Old 12-01-17, 01:43 PM
GGDaddy

I think the old saddle was as comfortable as it was going to be. The fitters at an LBS helped with tilt, fore/aft, and height, but it's fairly rounded with too much pressure on my naughty bits.

So I really like the fit of the new saddle. Except the getting sore part at the sit bones. But if I can get over that, it's a great fit. WNCgoater--I hear you on 2+ hours in the saddle. I'm training for a 3 hour event The Armed Forces Cycling Classic | CyclingClassic.org so I'm trying to get past the soreness thing.

Lazyass raises a good question about whether I'm likely to get any tougher down below. That's really the heart of my question. As I mentioned, I'm up to 80-90 miles/week, but that's hardly an average. Here's what it looks like (the recent values near zero are because I'm indoors):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36av5rqrca...53.11.png?dl=0

(Ignore the "half-marathon" thing, I'm using a jury-rigged running app)
Old 12-01-17, 02:15 PM
PaulRivers

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GGDaddy
My down & front usually goes numb after about 60 minutes in the saddle (the Selle Italia that came stock on my 1986 Bianchi Premio)
First, if one saddle works for you I'd say just use the same saddle on all your bikes.

But I went through all of this, numerous fittings, numerous saddles, etc and never found a saddle that magically made things perfect.

In my experience the root cause of numbness downstairs is poor core strength. You end up putting pressure where it shouldn't be because your core isn't holding you upright. What initially fixed it for me was this workout warmup routine called Limber 11:

For me at least, after I did that for a while I changed to where any decent saddle worked fine.

Core Strength + Biking is annoying - you need core strength to bike well, but biking doesn't build it.
Old 12-01-17, 02:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
at my Local they have a box of saddles removed from new bikes,

they are new but came with new bikes and the bike buyer wanted something else

so they're cheap, and you can try one for a few days ans swap it for another in the box.

Your LBS probably has similar...

you have to sit on it to know.

Old 12-01-17, 03:47 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
I had similar issues and found a harder saddle relieved the pressure once adjusted properly. Getting the right width helped my sit bones. Everyone is different.
Old 12-01-17, 03:59 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Liked 125 Times in 56 Posts
I've got a toupe on the bike I ride lots of long rides with. For me that's up to seven hours of saddle time so I think it's right for my butt, YMMV.
One thing I can say for sure is that when I ride in the basement, I get some discomfort in less than an hour.

I'm pretty sure I don't adjust my position nearly as often on the rollers as I do on the road, but it could just be boredom too.
Old 12-01-17, 04:25 PM
providencebikes
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my question is how do pros ride level saddles when they are not allowed to tilt , i usualy just tilt my saddys forward until it feels better , but some riders cant , and they race at high levels , it must really suck , but have you tired cycling shorts or pants with pads , could be a good investment >>???
Old 12-01-17, 04:46 PM
GGDaddy

Great advice gang, thank you!

A couple of specific comments--

PaulRivers, thanks for the stretching/strengthening routine. It looks very helpful, I'll check it out.

Mercator--THANK YOU -- that is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for when posting the thread, to see if the soreness might go away in the spring. Excited to hear that your Toupe works for 7 hours, even if it makes you sore indoors in less than an hour.

Providencebikes--yep. Definitely on padded cycling shorts.
Old 12-01-17, 06:47 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I second EVERYTHING [MENTION=413312]WNCGoater[/MENTION] said, including about nose up. To me it sounds more of an adjustment issue than a saddle issue. It took me a while of dicking around on multiple bikes to learn what saddle position is comfortable to me, and it did end up involving a fair bit of nose up.

Originally Posted by providencebikes
my question is how do pros ride level saddles when they are not allowed to tilt , i usualy just tilt my saddys forward until it feels better , but some riders cant , and they race at high levels , it must really suck , but have you tired cycling shorts or pants with pads , could be a good investment >>???
They can tilt, and they aren't as concerned with comfort. Trying to extrapolate what a top end pro does in a race setting and use it for advice for a new ride recreationally is bad.
Old 12-02-17, 12:42 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
In my experience, an hour indoors is like three outside as far as saddle pain is concerned.

Also, be careful trying to toughen up the sit bones. Don't overdo it, especially if the pain seems to get worse over time.

It's possible to inflame the tissues to the point of causing calcium deposits in the tendons or bursae. Look up "Weaver's bottom".
Old 12-02-17, 09:43 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think that you have to be extremely careful of people who recommend a specific saddle instead of the traits you need in a saddle. We ALL have different shapes.

The correct saddle doesn't rub on the inside of your thighs when you are riding. And it is wide enough near the back so that your sit bones are on the padding and holding the rest of your anatomy off of it.

There used to be a limited number of saddles with these traits but now they are common.

As some suggested perhaps you have a properly fitting saddle and merely have it adjusted improperly. If the nose of the saddle is too high it will press on the center of your crotch with uncomfortable results. But more likely you could have the saddle adjusted too far back so that you aren't sitting on your sit bones.

Last edited by cyclintom; 12-02-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-02-17, 02:13 PM
Arthur Peabody

Liked 117 Times in 68 Posts
I switched to a noseless saddle a few years ago and have been happy with it, have less butt pain. (I ride about 5K/year.) I tried a padded saddle once and added padding another time; both made it worse. Different people have different experiences: I don't prescribe.
Old 12-02-17, 06:15 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
No specific saddles to recommend, as said above, that is personal choice. If you haven't already visited a Specialized LBS, they have a butt pressure point analysis as part of their fitting system. It was mentioned above to find a shop with trial saddles they have collected from take offs, that is a good way to work through different configurations of saddle.

Best of luck on finding the magic one, it is out there despite what some individuals that feel no Diamond Frame bicycle can be comfortable. Ignore the white noise.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-02-17, 07:15 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Liked 64 Times in 49 Posts
I am 64 years old and 175 pounds. I started with a stock Specialized saddle on my Specialized Hybrid and it was good for 25 to 30 miles. Anything longer than around 30 miles caused pain that was bearable. But I wanted to be able to say I never thought of my saddle on any length ride that some folks have stated in this forum. I also have an allergic reaction to biking pants and the chamois padding that comes with them. So, I only wear nylon shorts with nylon briefs. No spandex. So, I am starting off with no cushion at all with my bike shorts.

I started with a Selle Anatomic X1, all leather with a cutout, and never could get used to it. I had contusions on my sit bones after a long ride. I really tried to get this to work but it never did get more comfortable. I gave each saddle at least 200 miles and if things were not getting better then I gave up on it. Or if the saddle never was any better than my stock saddle then it was a wash and I stuck with the stock saddle. After seven different kinds of saddles, and each one having more cushion, I ended up with this:

https://www.rei.com/product/736824/s...er-saddle-mens

It looks dorky to say the least, but I can actually say that I forget about the saddle now on a ride. I have done up to 50 miles with no pain at all. Also, this saddle has a suspension and it does work. Riding on a Rail-to-Trail surface now is much easier on my lower back. My LBS measured my sit bones and helped me on each saddle selection as I rejected them after the X1 which I purchased online.
Old 12-03-17, 07:53 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,822 Times in 2,502 Posts
With all the talk of saddle, Did anyone mention shorts? Try some different shorts to find a pad your bottom appreciates.

For me it's all about changing positions and off the saddle - on long rides (as mentioned by [MENTION=413312]WNCGoater[/MENTION] and others) . i try to raise my butt about 1.0mm (or so) off the saddle for periods of time when riding at about the 18 - 20 mph range. This shifts the burden of weight bearing to the legs but ever-so-slightly, practiced regularly it almost becomes second nature. I also like saddles with long noses for facilitating different positions. And sometimes you just need to get out of the saddle for better air flow in that region to maximize cooling. A short break off the bike, only a minute or 2, every hour really helps, too.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-03-17 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-03-17, 08:17 AM
Lazyass

Liked 647 Times in 402 Posts
Another thing that most people don't think about in respect to sitbone pain is saddle height. Lowering the saddle relieves pressure off the sitbones. Just because a fitter or online calculator tells you your saddle needs to be X centimeters high and your knee has to have X degrees of bend doesn't mean it's correct. Not everyone has the exact same body structure. My saddle is almost a full 2 centimeters lower than what it's "supposed" to be. I'm no slower, just more comfortable. You have to lower it a tiny bit at a time, just a couple of mm's.
Old 12-03-17, 08:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,760 Times in 872 Posts
Everyone's different. Light "dished out" gel cover on the daily commuter for the last two years. Two gel seats on the old road bike. And a padded long-nose seat with springs for the MTB-based commuter/winter bike. It's usually 40-60 minutes commute time each way, with longer weekend rides up to 5 hrs. No soreness, no chafing. This all started in my 40s when I discovered I also had to start padding the handle bars. It's not sexy, but it works for me.

Along with developing "achy hands" I began switching grip positions frequently on my two drop-bar bikes, and put inboard bar-ends and an aero bar on the MTB-commuter. Again, not sexy, but it works for me.

Sometimes I wonder if the switching of hand positions and the resultant posture changes, also help with seating comfort.

If you're a sport rider, competitive rider or in training, your options may be more limited, and then there's peer pressure and vanity. But as a daily commuter, I place a higher premium on comfort. My saddle may be soft, but I'm not. I ride in a hilly city in all weather, rain, wind, ice and snow up to 3" and temps down to 10F, which when done right...is comfortable in all conditions.
Old 12-03-17, 09:00 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Liked 169 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Just hang on, the recumbent guys will be along shortly to explain the error of your ways.
Darn it! Check mated too early in this thread. Well played!

To the OP, I have the same issues on my road bikes. I just take motrin and tough it out. I've also nearly ditched my aluminum framed bike and gone solely back to my old Peugeot steel ride for when I'm not on my recumbent. The steel absorbs much of road bumps. The aluminum bike just seem to transfer the bump shocks right into my seat.

When I was young, in my teens and 20's, I could go out all day on my roadie. In my 40's, my sit bones take a punishing. Hence, why I own a 'bent.
Old 12-03-17, 09:42 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Liked 351 Times in 191 Posts
This may be lost in all the noise...

Millimeters Matter. Just a few mm one way or the other can make a world of difference. Height, tilt, fore/aft, etc. Often, the most effective changes are counter intuitive.

-Kedosto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.