Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

need some advice about gearing

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 12:16 PM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I just put a Bafang mid drive kit on my 1993 Rockhopper and it's working great! One issue though: I've got a freewheel cassette in the back 13-34t and a 48t ring up front. This is a good range for when I'm using the least amount of assist. however, as soon as I up the level (I'm using the default of 5 levels of power assist) to level 2, I'm barely pedaling and when I hit level 3, even in my lowest gear of 13t, the motor is doing all the work. I'm assuming this will drain the battery pretty quickly. What range of gears would give me the ability to pedal through most of the power levels? If I put a 52t up front and a new cassette in the back with an 11t on it, would that do it? I'm pretty light at 113 pounds and my bike is light so the 48v battery seems really powerful to me. I like doing most of the pedalling with the assist kicking in on hills and on long flat stretches of bike path.

Thanks!

Maria
Old 12-01-17, 01:39 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 198 Posts
Before you change out any gears, set your BBS02 to 9 level PAS. It lets me ride a little slower.

Not all BBS02's allow throttle in PAS 0. They can be programmed (needs cable and PC) by the vendor or owner to do this. If your bike can do that, you can ride under pedal power and only use throttle as needed.
Old 12-01-17, 02:22 PM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I haven't used the throttle at all. I meant to say that while I was pedalling in level 3, my pedalling was not having an impact. I, of course, needed to turn the pedals to make the assist kick in. I think switching out to 9 level PAS should help a lot.
Old 12-01-17, 07:40 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
Doc is correct about the PAS 9 change, but I never did it on my BBS02 build. I just settled on using 1 and 2 for more effort, and saved 3-5 for the monster hills around here. Worked great!