Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Training software

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Training software

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 09:48 AM
valleysuper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training software

I’m going to start training w power using a quarq. I know I won’t understand all the data from the quarq rt away until I have some baselines. But I would like to try inputting all the info I can into 1 training program. I started the training peaks program, as I have used the “bible” to train before. Training peaks looks like it has all the features I need if I go premium. Does it also have a good way to view/help interpret all the quarq data?

I was considering using trainerroad for indoor w the new quarq, but may be redundant if I go premium w TP. If so which do you prefer? More from tracking and interpreting all the data, more than giving me daily workouts, those I can do and enter manually.
Just want 1 place to go to look at it all and I don’t think my 920 w/ Garmin connect will do it for me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-17, 09:08 PM
brycelewis

Bikes: 2018 Scott Genius 900, 2018 Scott Spark Tuned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there!

My name is Bryce and I work for TrainerRoad

Unforuntately, our software will not be a perfect fit for you right now becasue we are currently not able to import outside rides. We currently only track rides completed indoors with the TrainerRoad app, which will not fit your needs effectively. That being said, we recognize this weakness and we are getting close to releasing support of outside rides and performance analytics. These features will not only allow you to import your rides from outside, but also analyze your data in new and impactful ways. Keep an eye out on our social channels to hear all about the new features when they release.

For now, it sounds like TrainingPeaks is likely your best option. Another that you may want to consider is Golden Cheetah. Golden Cheetah is a free software that allows you to dive deep into your power data, but it is less refined and user friendly than TrainingPeaks.

Best of luck with your future endeavors with power!
Old 12-11-17, 08:02 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still very new to having a power meter also, another vote for golden cheetah. It's free and does what I need for now. Lots of graphs.
Old 12-11-17, 11:21 AM
valleysuper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both. I’ll check out golden cheetah for sure.
I got 7 weeks of TP premium for free, so I’m going to give that a shot. I’m gonna do 2 months of trainerroad w money saved and I’ll send it all to golden cheetah and see how they compare.
Appreciate the help.

Thanks
Old 12-11-17, 01:32 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brycelewis
This was not effective shilling.
Old 12-11-17, 01:48 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brycelewis
Hey there!

Unforuntately, our software will not be a perfect fit for you right now becasue we are currently not able to import outside rides. We currently only track rides completed indoors with the TrainerRoad app, which will not fit your needs effectively. That being said, we recognize this weakness and we are getting close to releasing support of outside rides and performance analytics. These features will not only allow you to import your rides from outside, but also analyze your data in new and impactful ways. Keep an eye out on our social channels to hear all about the new features when they release.

For now, it sounds like TrainingPeaks is likely your best option. Another that you may want to consider is Golden Cheetah. Golden Cheetah is a free software that allows you to dive deep into your power data, but it is less refined and user friendly than TrainingPeaks.

Best of luck with your future endeavors with power!
Not sure if this will ever be a thing but... how awesome would it be if you could import TrainerRoad workouts into Zwift?!

I've been training with a Power Meter for about 4 months now and it's been a fantastic experience. Personally, I feel like TrainerRoad is one of the best options money can buy if you're looking for structured workouts.
Old 12-11-17, 01:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I pay for Training Peaks but I also use GC because I like a couple of their charts and the live training mode.
Old 12-11-17, 02:02 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I use TrainerRoad, Training Peaks, and Colden Cheetah. I like that GC is free, but TP is way easier to read. Now that I can import my TrainerRoad plans into Training Peaks, having a full training plan + calendar with all training listed along with TSS goals....is amazing. Might have to spring for another TP subscription. Bummed I didn't jump on the 25% off deal TP had for BF/Cyber Monday.

I love TrainerRoad. The weather was amazing where I was on Thanksgiving, so I just fired up TR and loaded my workout and went outside. I was off a bit on my TSS, but still completed the workout. I'm hoping TR does something more with outside rides, ride analysis and a training plan/calendar.

OP, check out Wattsboard too, it's simpler in look and even with a free account (pro is $5 per month) you get some pretty good features.
Old 12-11-17, 03:06 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 71 Posts
I currently use Trainerroad and find it to be one of the very best options with an ERG trainer. Since you are using a power meter and presumably a non-erg trainer, maybe today's plan (haven't used it, but have heard good things)?
Old 12-11-17, 03:24 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
I currently use Trainerroad and find it to be one of the very best options with an ERG trainer. Since you are using a power meter and presumably a non-erg trainer, maybe today's plan (haven't used it, but have heard good things)?
I have a Stages Power Meter and Stages Dash. Their training platform, Stages Link, is a version of Today's Plan. I have only used it seriously for two months or so, but I would say it is a good platform.
Old 12-11-17, 03:33 PM
bluescatjm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use TrainerRoad and I love it. I can track my TSS using the calendar on the free version of Training Peaks so my outside rides are included as well. Golden Cheetah is great because it allows me to track my power PRs for any ride I track with my Garmin.
Old 12-11-17, 07:00 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MattyMurdah
Not sure if this will ever be a thing but... how awesome would it be if you could import TrainerRoad workouts into Zwift?!
Not quite the same, but...do you use a smart trainer with Bluetooth and ANT+? If so, I use my iPad running TrainerRoad to control the trainer via its Bluetooth channel, while the trainer's ANT+ channel reports power to an old computer that is simultaneously running Zwift. (The HR and RPM are also reported in to the computer via ANT+ by those respective gadgets.) Works great. There are other methods too...using two ANT+ dongles on the computer, etc.

Keith

Last edited by trainsktg; 12-11-17 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 12-12-17, 01:06 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trainsktg
Not quite the same, but...do you use a smart trainer with Bluetooth and ANT+? If so, I use my iPad running TrainerRoad to control the trainer via its Bluetooth channel, while the trainer's ANT+ channel reports power to an old computer that is simultaneously running Zwift. (The HR and RPM are also reported in to the computer via ANT+ by those respective gadgets.) Works great. There are other methods too...using two ANT+ dongles on the computer, etc.

Keith
Thanks for sharing! I've been looking for an excuse to get an iPad so may have to try this out .
Old 12-12-17, 03:29 PM
valleysuper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I use TrainerRoad, Training Peaks, and Colden Cheetah. I like that GC is free, but TP is way easier to read. Now that I can import my TrainerRoad plans into Training Peaks, having a full training plan + calendar with all training listed along with TSS goals....is amazing.
This seems to be the direction I’m headed. Use trainerroad for winter and TP for the year.
Hoping they do a New Years or Holiday pricing break for the TP.

I feel as though the paying for TP will help if motivation wanes at times throughout the year. I’m the guy who goes to the gym at times just to stretch and do mobility work, just because I pay a dollar a day for it.
Old 12-13-17, 11:40 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've used them all and hands down my favorite is Cyclinganalytics. Easy to use, customizable tools, and a good interface.
Old 01-01-18, 11:23 AM
alfman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you import the TrainerRoad plans into Training Peaks?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I use TrainerRoad, Training Peaks, and Colden Cheetah. I like that GC is free, but TP is way easier to read. Now that I can import my TrainerRoad plans into Training Peaks, having a full training plan + calendar with all training listed along with TSS goals....is amazing. Might have to spring for another TP subscription. Bummed I didn't jump on the 25% off deal TP had for BF/Cyber Monday.

I love TrainerRoad. The weather was amazing where I was on Thanksgiving, so I just fired up TR and loaded my workout and went outside. I was off a bit on my TSS, but still completed the workout. I'm hoping TR does something more with outside rides, ride analysis and a training plan/calendar.

OP, check out Wattsboard too, it's simpler in look and even with a free account (pro is $5 per month) you get some pretty good features.
Old 01-01-18, 01:44 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by alfman
How did you import the TrainerRoad plans into Training Peaks?

Thanks.
https://github.com/pchalacis/trainer...-trainingpeaks

It took a few times for me to get it, but this works amazingly.
Old 01-05-18, 09:18 PM
alfman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!