Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best smart trainer to get started with Zwift

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best smart trainer to get started with Zwift

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 08:54 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Hrmm interesting...you can use zwift with just a power meter? I have a cheap/dumb wheel on trainer, and have been thinking about getting a powet meter.

Would I need anything else?
I’ve been Zwifting with some cheap Travel Trac rollers from Performance, a 4iiii Viiiiva HRM to serve as a ANT+ to Bluetooth Bridge and a Watteam PowerBeat power meter since the iOS version came out.

Only problem I have is not enough resistance on the rollers. I top out (cadence limit) at about 400w on the rollers. But on a turbo, I suspect it would work just fine. Well, that and getting Bluetooth to connect can sometimes be an issue, but that’s kinda a side issue.

Technically, if you have a good compatible turbo trainer, you can do a “spin down” test and it will estimate your power. All you need is a speed sensor assuming it will connect to your computer/tablet/phone. Most of those are fluid trainers that are very consistent on the resistance. I picked a compatible trainer up for my wife for $75 on Craig’s List last week.

Oh, and are you THE Abe Froman? The sausage king of Chicago?
Old 12-04-17, 09:23 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by pesty
I’ve been Zwifting with some cheap Travel Trac rollers from Performance, a 4iiii Viiiiva HRM to serve as a ANT+ to Bluetooth Bridge and a Watteam PowerBeat power meter since the iOS version came out.

Only problem I have is not enough resistance on the rollers. I top out (cadence limit) at about 400w on the rollers. But on a turbo, I suspect it would work just fine. Well, that and getting Bluetooth to connect can sometimes be an issue, but that’s kinda a side issue.

Technically, if you have a good compatible turbo trainer, you can do a “spin down” test and it will estimate your power. All you need is a speed sensor assuming it will connect to your computer/tablet/phone. Most of those are fluid trainers that are very consistent on the resistance. I picked a compatible trainer up for my wife for $75 on Craig’s List last week.

Oh, and are you THE Abe Froman? The sausage king of Chicago?
Thanks.

And yea, yiu got the right Abe Froman
Old 12-04-17, 09:42 PM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Bought the Kinetic Rock and Roll Smart Control on Cyber Monday, should be arriving soon. Looking forward to getting a great workout on it. Zwift, TrainerRoad and Kinomap are my apps of interest and what my friends have been using. Getting nippy this time of year and night riding has been less appealing as such, so just what i need for a few midweek workouts leading up to my my weekend group rides.
Old 12-05-17, 06:07 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 126 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by pesty

You can add more resistance to the rollers in the fashion that the video below shows with magnets. I've done it and it does help.

Old 12-05-17, 09:21 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
You can add more resistance to the rollers in the fashion that the video below shows with magnets. I've done it and it does help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMh7y2fEOE
Yea, I’ve done similar with a magnetic broom and was able to get another 200-300w if resistance, but noting permanent in place.
Old 12-05-17, 01:08 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
I personally bought a Magnus 2 months ago and have been using the heck out of it. One piece of advice that no one ever told me, and I only found out after melting a tire, CALIBRATE BEFORE EVERY RIDE. None of the documentation says this, Zwift doesn't say this, but it is imperative in order to have accurate readings and a fun time. Also, I prefer trainerroad over zwift, but that's just me, especially since zwift just raised their price from $10 a month to $15 dollars a month.
How are you calibrating your trainer through Zwift? My Magnus isn't supported through the Zwift Calibration system yet. Are you going into Rouvy first each time?
Old 12-06-17, 05:21 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I would recommend the Kickr snap. I use it via blue tooth to my IPad Pro. An awesome setup. Zwift is a real game changer. It has increased my speeds 1.5 to 2 mph in just one season. I average 200-250 miles a week and love every one of them. The days of riding in rain or in winter cold are over. Zwift is a real joy. I would not get the rock and roll. The motion becomes a distraction and there are problems with the welds breaking.
Old 12-07-17, 02:50 PM
em.jay.el

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert | Specialized Crux Elite | Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
How are you calibrating your trainer through Zwift? My Magnus isn't supported through the Zwift Calibration system yet. Are you going into Rouvy first each time?
I calibrate using the Rouvy app first each time and then switch over to Zwift and all is good. I have a Magnus as well.
Old 12-08-17, 05:48 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
I would recommend the Kickr snap. I use it via blue tooth to my IPad Pro. An awesome setup. Zwift is a real game changer. It has increased my speeds 1.5 to 2 mph in just one season. I average 200-250 miles a week and love every one of them. The days of riding in rain or in winter cold are over. Zwift is a real joy. I would not get the rock and roll. The motion becomes a distraction and there are problems with the welds breaking.
I hate trainers. At 30 minutes I am bored, at 45 minutes I am ready to kill myself.
Zwift has changed and a smart trainer has now changed that. I spent an hour riding last night before I realized how long I had been on the trainer. I work 12 hour shifts and don't have two hours to spend on the road. I do have an hour or so for the trainer.
Old 12-13-17, 02:44 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turkey9186
I hate trainers. At 30 minutes I am bored, at 45 minutes I am ready to kill myself.
Zwift has changed and a smart trainer has now changed that. I spent an hour riding last night before I realized how long I had been on the trainer. I work 12 hour shifts and don't have two hours to spend on the road. I do have an hour or so for the trainer.
Right there with you. I've been on Zwift for the last week or so because I've got a cold and I don't want to make it worse by riding outside in the 30s-40s (already done that once this month). I'm bored off my ass riding indoors. I'm to the point that I'll turn on Zwift, start riding, and just start watching Netflix. Still bored off my ass, but at least now I'm getting caught up on The Punisher.
Old 12-13-17, 02:49 PM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 99Klein
The biggest being to use the big gear and a smaller sprocket in ERG mode....helps avoid the death spiral :-)
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. What is this death spiral you speak of?
Old 12-13-17, 03:53 PM
green123

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I ordered an Elite Smart roller last week, was on sale for around $450.
Can't wait to try it out on Zwift.
Elite Arion Digital Smart B+ Rollers review - BikeRadar USA
Old 12-13-17, 06:28 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 547 Times in 429 Posts
Every time I read a thread like this I start changing my mind again on a smart trainer vs. a power meter. I'm using Zwift now with my Fluid 2 trainer and sensors for virtual power and I want to feel the effort change instead of having to spin the wheel faster to hit a target A power meter won't change that, except to be much more accurate. What a power meter will do though is work outside so I can do drills outdoors. And of course having that info will change the way I do my long rides. Maybe the 24mph that I'm doing is deceiving and that I'm on a slight downhill (yes in one case I found out).
Old 12-13-17, 06:56 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,569 Times in 4,424 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Every time I read a thread like this I start changing my mind again on a smart trainer vs. a power meter. I'm using Zwift now with my Fluid 2 trainer and sensors for virtual power and I want to feel the effort change instead of having to spin the wheel faster to hit a target A power meter won't change that, except to be much more accurate. What a power meter will do though is work outside so I can do drills outdoors. And of course having that info will change the way I do my long rides. Maybe the 24mph that I'm doing is deceiving and that I'm on a slight downhill (yes in one case I found out).
Tough call. I have a smart trainer but no power meter. The change in resistance is pretty cool but IMO not worth paying $500+.
Old 12-14-17, 06:50 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the Kinetic with the inride smart power sensor. I bought the Kinetic used on craigslist and it's been great.

One of my friends has the same setup. He also has a power meter on his bike. He told me that when he compared the virtual power numbers on Zwift with the power meter numbers on his bike, the Zwift numbers tended to be about 15-20% high.

But either way, the extra training time is great. And it's a lot of fun getting on there when the roads are busy with other riders.
Old 12-14-17, 07:19 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 126 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Tough call. I have a smart trainer but no power meter. The change in resistance is pretty cool but IMO not worth paying $500+.
I'm not really sure it is as it depends on ones needs/wants. I went dumb trainer/dumb trainer with a power meter/smart trainer.

If you want power on the road, then by all means get the on-bike power meter. If you want the more realistic road feeling on Zwift, get the smart trainer. It is much different feeling the inclines with the smart trainer over using a high gear with the dumb trainer. The one nice thing of a dumb trainer over the smart trainer is being able to hold a steady power number over any incline/decline, whereas the smart trainer will change resistance, so to put in a steady effort, you really have to have a custom workout that keeps the power steady for the time you want.

I probably won't go back to the dumb trainer again.
Old 12-14-17, 09:44 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Square Wheels
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. What is this death spiral you speak of?
In ERG mode, when your cadence drops, it will increase power and you will have trouble getting on top of the gear. It gets to the point where you can no longer pedal.
Old 12-14-17, 09:48 AM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 99Klein
In ERG mode, when your cadence drops, it will increase power and you will have trouble getting on top of the gear. It gets to the point where you can no longer pedal.
I've noticed that. So, keeping it in the 50 / 11 combo will reduce that problem?
Old 12-14-17, 09:53 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It will help as the faster flywheel speed carries more momentum. Check out Shane at the daily lama.
Old 12-14-17, 12:00 PM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Posted my early impressions of the Kinetic Rock and Roll Smart Control here, so far very happy with it and have been sweating buckets:

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...pressions.html
Old 12-14-17, 12:07 PM
softreset

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
I went with a Fluid2 (dumb) & Stages power meter combo for about $650 via Craigslist/eBay and I'm 4 days into riding on Zwift with the combo. So pretty happy with it, I feel that I'm getting a good work out and the mechanics in Zwift have been enough motivation for me to ensure that I'm in the hardest gear I can handle and I stay with the guy ahead of me. In a 50/11 combo at 250w+ for any sustained amount of time is plenty challenging for my current level of fitness.
Old 12-14-17, 01:45 PM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Elite Qubo Smart Trainer on Nashbar, some of the drawbacks that I have is that it being magnetic, it is weight-bearing so you lose traction when you stand up. Upsides are it having a free one-year subscription to Elite training app (zwift alternative) and the price point. Nashbar also has a lifetime guarantee on their products and you don't get charged for tax.

RETURNED: Elite Qubo Digital Interactive Trainer - Nashbar