Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How do I clean my chain?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

How do I clean my chain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 12:07 AM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How do I clean my chain?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've been riding my Bafang mid-drive conversion for 3 weeks now and just went to clean the chain only to realize that I can't just clip my chain scrubber on the chain and pedal backwards anymore. Just wondered if there was a simple way to handle this task as we're heading into rainy, slushy, muddy road conditions here and I'll need to clean my chain at least every other week. Thanks!
Old 12-17-17, 12:37 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Lift the wheel and pedal forward?
Old 12-17-17, 03:36 AM
Mark Mandolin

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go to a coin car wash and basically power wash my chain gears and derailier on all the bicycles I've ever ridden in winter and never had an issue. Not familiar with mid drives but obviously motor must be water proof maybe don't spray directly on motor and concentrate on chain sprockets and derailier? Just a suggestion.
Old 12-17-17, 09:07 AM
2old

Bikes: DIY

Liked 937 Times in 706 Posts
You can "pull" the chain and it will rotate slowly. Clean a portion with something like White Lightning, then move on.
Old 12-18-17, 09:56 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have never liked using a chain cleaner to clean chains. I use old socks and spin the chain around while wiping down the chain. You probably need another person to hold the ebike---or break down and buy a good repair stand---don't buy the basic ones---they won't handle weight of your ebike.

When you use liquid chain cleaner you take all the lube out of the chain. Then when you add lube it doesn't penetrate as well as the cleaner did and the inner parts of your chain will be unprotected. I wipe them down really well and then add lube.
Old 12-18-17, 09:59 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can also hang your ebike either build a couple of shelf brackets or a rope from a rafter in the garage---and then spin the chain.
Old 12-19-17, 03:52 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Liked 64 Times in 51 Posts
DONT use the power wash. You will force water into places it doesnt belong. You will find out later after a large repair bill where that water went.

An easy cleaning method is a rag and WD40. It will clean all the crud off and remove water that causes rust. Then use a good chain lube. Boeshield would be a good choice for this seasons weather.

-SP
Old 12-21-17, 03:31 PM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree with Speedy25 on the car wash but I have found wd40 removes and breaks down all lube because it penetrates so well. The lube you add after WD40 will not penetrate as well. Residual WD will also break down the lub you add afterwards. Winter is really hard on chains ---spring will be here eventually---grin---then it is time for anew chain and cassette.
Old 12-22-17, 10:02 AM
lmike6453

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Make this the last time you ever need to clean it. I cleaned mine with a chain gang cleaner, let it dry.

Then lubed with White Lightning Clean Ride, wax based. It brings dirt to outside of chain and only needs to be wiped and lube again for life of chain.
Old 12-22-17, 10:22 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Liked 232 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
DONT use the power wash. You will force water into places it doesnt belong. You will find out later after a large repair bill where that water went.

An easy cleaning method is a rag and WD40. It will clean all the crud off and remove water that causes rust. Then use a good chain lube. Boeshield would be a good choice for this seasons weather.

-SP
only good advice here. If its a little dirty outside it doesn't matter, only the rollers matter.
In addition use a clean shop towel after or before every ride to wipe the chain down. Every few weeks or as needed scratch the crud from the jockey wheels and cogs.