Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Speed 8 vs Dahon Marnier D8

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 12:05 AM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

I am new to the world of folding bikes, so please excuse my newbies questions. I have an opportunity to purchase a used version of either of these bikes. I am going to view both in the next few days. Viewing specs online, I am having a hard time seeing the difference between these two. The cranks, group set, frame, etc appear of similar quality. There weight also looks comparable. Is there significant features (or quality of components) that I am missing? Assuming they are in similar condition, which would you go with? thanks.
Old 12-29-17, 03:02 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Chromoly frame vs aluminum frame. Also qr's on the hubs.

Go with the Speed 8.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 12-29-17, 04:45 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Speed has had some cracking problems. Right in the stress relief hole of seat tube. Right behind it is the seatstay so it is easy to see why.
Attached Images
File Type: png
Clipboard02.png (147.7 KB, 154 views)
Old 12-29-17, 09:02 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Speed D8 is a higher spec bike.

Sealed BB
QR Skewers
Double walled rims.

Frames are diff materials but of comparable quality.

Black Speed
Silver Mariner.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BillyD; 12-30-17 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Sales offer.
Old 12-29-17, 09:20 AM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by L Arnold
Speed D8 is a higher spec bike.

Sealed BB
QR Skewers
Double walled rims.

Frames are diff materials but of comparable quality.

Black Speed
Silver Mariner.

Hope this helps.
I am going to look at the Speed 8 today; asking $300. The seller of the Marnier is sending pics soon. The Marnier asking price is $100. So, there is a large variance on asking price. If the Speed 8 is in nice condition, I will make an offer and see if the Seller is motivated. The Seller of the Speed 8 claims it was used "a couple times".

Last edited by BillyD; 12-30-17 at 01:03 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 12-29-17, 09:42 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
I am going to look at the Speed 8 today; asking $300. The seller of the Marnier is sending pics soon. The Marnier asking price is $100. So, there is a large variance on asking price. If the Speed 8 is in nice condition, I will make an offer and see if the Seller is motivated. The Seller of the Speed 8 claims it was used "a couple times".
Both are Cheap.
Mariner likely a D7.
Speed likely a P8.

Just older veraions of same or very similar. - 7 speed Mariner if course.
Old 12-29-17, 09:50 AM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by jur
Speed has had some cracking problems. Right in the stress relief hole of seat tube. Right behind it is the seatstay so it is easy to see why.
Thanks. This info is very valuable to me. What a great community we have here. I will check this out when I view the bike today.
Old 12-29-17, 09:52 AM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by L Arnold
Both are Cheap.
Mariner likely a D7.
Speed likely a P8.

Just older veraions of same or very similar. - 7 speed Mariner if course.
The owner of the Mariner does not "speak bike". I believe this Seller is selling it for a family member. Very limited info. It may indeed be a 7 speed, or could be older (?), I will find out today.
Old 12-29-17, 10:23 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you need to ask for the color the MAriner real old was basically a Boardwalk 7 speed in BLUE all alloy Mariners are silver brushed 7 speed and real new ones are silver painted 8 speed
The speed p 8 is most likely red and has big apples, if it is red but doesn't have big apples its newer

Both are good bikes
Picture Jur has posted is most likely a Speed Pro of old. The Seat tube most likely has failed because the seatpost was extended too far out for a tall rider. Usually Dahon has taken care of that within the 5 year warranty, or has offered the customer a new frame at cost. It happens with steel or alloy frames once in a very very small percentage of bikes sold. ThorUSA has a longer seatpost which is better than to pull out regular seatpost too much. Meaning same height but more insertion into the frame to distribute the load better. Furthermore on real old bikes the seatpost shim was plastic and could be compressed over the years, more than the later alloy insert sleeves. I know of one person who is using a Dahon as winter beater bike who is using a hose clamp since years due to a small crack. this is not advisable and we offered replacement, but he insists that t was his own fault and watches and is careful, even if it is a beater bike of sorts.

Thor
Old 12-29-17, 01:42 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The Speed is a very nice bike and my favourite of all the Dahons.

Also check extras such as mudguards and the rack, the speed is often spec'ed bare bones while the Mariner has the lot. Check the rear derailer, the Dahon own version Neos does not have the best reputation for good shifting. It is recognisable by being mounted in front of the rear axle. That is replaceable by a conventional derailer though.
Old 12-29-17, 05:06 PM
vintagerando

I went and looked at the Dahon Speed P8. As the Seller said, it was hardly used. Couple of scratches on fork and top tube. I bought for $240. I think it was a good purchase, so far. The NEOS rear derailleur looks a bit flimsy. I will see how it performs; maybe swap it out with a Shimano from my parts bin. Thanks to all that added info to this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
05.jpg (610.2 KB, 138 views)
06.jpg (635.8 KB, 129 views)
04.jpg (616.4 KB, 127 views)
02.jpg (656.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 12-29-17, 06:23 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Nice bike at an good price.
Old 12-29-17, 11:07 PM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The Neos is capable of good performance and it is nice an compact, but I can see your frame has the dropout for a standard derailleur in case you want to switch. You got a great price on a great bike - I put more than 14,000 commuting miles on one almost exactly like this. Thor has a great selection of fenders and racks should you need them, and he's got all the special replacement parts you might ever need. Good catch - this is a $500 used bike price in SoCal.
Old 12-29-17, 11:20 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by wernst
The Neos is capable of good performance and it is nice an compact, but I can see your frame has the dropout for a standard derailleur in case you want to switch. You got a great price on a great bike - I put more than 14,000 commuting miles on one almost exactly like this. Thor has a great selection of fenders and racks should you need them, and he's got all the special replacement parts you might ever need. Good catch - this is a $500 used bike price in SoCal.
I cannot wait to get this on the road. From the condition of the stock tires, I bet it was ridden maybe 50 miles. When I went to view it today, I know the bike needed to be rescued from a life of collecting dust in that dark garage. I will give the Neos/grip shifter setup a chance and see the performance. (I wonder if drop bars and bar-end shifters would work on this bike) I have a deep parts bin and enough wrenching knowledge to make modifications. If the darn weather could get out of the teens (11 degrees here in Connecticut), I will get this beauty on the ride.
Old 12-30-17, 10:16 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice bike. Good purchase. I'd say, use the neos for now.

Doea the bike have a further back derailleur mount - you may need a hanger if not - if you go to change it out.

Run with it as is for now. It will warm up soon enough. Congrats.
Old 12-30-17, 12:43 PM
vintagerando

I took my Dahon on its first joyage. Went out in the snow and 15 degree temps. One thing I noticed; the flex in the handlebars; Its a bit scary. Are they supposed to flex like that at the headset? Of course, I have only ridden a folding bike twice, so I have no experience. Please advice.
Attached Images
handlebar 02.jpg (434.6 KB, 106 views)
handlebar 01.jpg (421.1 KB, 109 views)
dahon in snow.jpg (537.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 12-30-17, 01:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
8 speed cassette/ derailleur vs 8 speed IGH, I vote for the IGH. but you went the other way..

Pedal on Garth !

Old 12-30-17, 02:19 PM
vintagerando

yikes, what's an IGH?
Old 12-30-17, 02:43 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
yikes, what's an IGH?
Internal Geared Hub = IGH,...

For the price you paid, who cares. Enjoy the new addition to the family!

PS: My Speed P8 had flex,...but I tightened up all the allen bolts & such, and it lessened it enough to be doable. I'm a big boy, so I need all the strength in a bike that I can get. The Speed is chromoly steel,...nice and STRONG!
Old 12-30-17, 02:47 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
These bikes have flex, yes. Long stalks and single frame tube, nothing to be done. Just make sure all hinges are firmly closed and NEVER ride with sloppy hinges especially the handlepost hinge. Sure fire recipe for breaking off at the pivot.
Old 12-30-17, 02:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Be mindful of bending that derailleur hanger .. that ruins the indexed shifting..

so dont pack stuff on top of the folded bike, fall to the right. etc.
Old 12-31-17, 01:09 PM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Be sure to put a little bit of grease on the clamps, but NOT on the sliding areas of the stem posts themselves. You should have what looks like a thin strip of copper on the quick releases between the cam and the clamp. Grease between the cam and the copper strip and it'll make the QR levels swing smoothly, and make sufficiently tight clamping easy to accomplish WITHOUT bleeding hands. Do the same for the seat post clamp and handlebar clamp too.

If you didn't get a service manual with the bike, which covers how to adjust all the different clamps, you'll want this: https://dahon.com/wp-content/uploads/...structions.pdf

-Warren

Edit: I've seen grease there on the new bikes, but I'm curious to hear what other people use to lube the clamps.
Old 12-31-17, 03:50 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by wernst
Be sure to put a little bit of grease on the clamps, but NOT on the sliding areas of the stem posts themselves. You should have what looks like a thin strip of copper on the quick releases between the cam and the clamp. Grease between the cam and the copper strip and it'll make the QR levels swing smoothly, and make sufficiently tight clamping easy to accomplish WITHOUT bleeding hands. Do the same for the seat post clamp and handlebar clamp too.

If you didn't get a service manual with the bike, which covers how to adjust all the different clamps, you'll want this: https://dahon.com/wp-content/uploads/...structions.pdf

-Warren

Edit: I've seen grease there on the new bikes, but I'm curious to hear what other people use to lube the clamps.
Thanks for the manual