Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Carbon Dropbar? Yay or nay?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Carbon Dropbar? Yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 07:29 AM
bonsai171

Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is a gross generalization. Untold numbers of carbon parts will never break. Carbon parts breaking isn't a given.

Are you aware of the forces exerted on carbon bikes and components by pro riders? Ordinary mountain bikers?

-Tim-
I wouldn't disagree with that. However, saying that aluminum corroded is a generalization too. I have 30 year old aluminum bars and no corrosion whatsoever.

Dave
Old 12-31-17, 01:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,254 Times in 2,845 Posts
Zipp Service Course SL-70 Ergo bars are the best bars out there in terms of drops that my hands love. They have now made a carbon version and I am slightly tempted but not enough to go carbon. They are a reputable manufacturer and one I would trust with carbon but I am not swayed quite yet to carbon bars. I certainly wouldn't even keep cheap carbon from no-names or counterfeit/knock offs anywhere near the table as they can be more dangerous and poorly made.
Old 12-31-17, 01:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Some of the 3T aero top bars are really sexy.

-Tim-
Old 01-01-18, 05:59 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some of the 3T aero top bars are really sexy.

-Tim-
That's precisely why my Little Wing is currently wearing one.

Old 01-01-18, 11:33 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
The majority of my bikes have carbon handlebars.

I am weary of off-brand carbon however. Not all carbon is made equal.
Even coming out of the same factory, different quality controls/ manufacturing specifications are present. All for the sake of cost cutting, especially for off-brand/ unauthorized copies.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-05-18, 10:00 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by JeremyLC
That's precisely why my Little Wing is currently wearing one.
Is your handlebar available for a date this Saturday night?
Old 01-05-18, 10:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Here is the solution.

Alloy wrapped in carbon - the worst of both worlds for only $55.

Deda Ultra Carbon Wrapped Road Drop Handlebar: Anatomic - 44cm (c-c) x 31.8mm (Near Mint) - Bike Recyclery

-Tim-
Old 01-05-18, 11:18 AM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're gonna go with carbon drop bars for the "bling factor", get the ENVE SES Aero bars and be done with it

Old 01-05-18, 06:19 PM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
I have a full carbon fork, carbon handlebar and a carbon seatpost on my Cross Country mountain bike, a while ago I hit a rock hard enough to dent my rim and the carbon parts were fine. If you are buying carbon from a reputable brand and doing the correct assembly with fiber grip and a torque wrench, it`s all good.
Old 01-07-18, 06:12 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
for the carbon vs AL argument

Carbon can damp vibrations pretty well so there is an advantage to the extra cost apart from weight. This is especially true of seatposts and my Niner carbon seatpost was less expensive than my Thomson alloy post, and a lot more forgiving.

-Tim-
^ that would be my reason for buying carbon bars. which Easton bar did you buy? I have my eye on the EC70 AX
Old 01-07-18, 09:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Metieval
^ that would be my reason for buying carbon bars. which Easton bar did you buy? I have my eye on the EC70 AX
Yes, the EC70 AX.

I can't say much about it other than the moderately shallow reach and drop suit me. It sits under the tape, does its job and I don't think about it much.

There are a bunch more photos and some detail close up shots in the Niner RLT 9 RDO Build thread.

It was $205.99 but I've forgotten where I got it. Probably one of the UK sites.

-Tim-
Old 01-07-18, 10:43 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 767 Times in 432 Posts
I have an Easton EC90 TKO carbon road drop bar that I put on my Bianchi Pista Concept after I retired it from track use and repurposed it as a road bike. I don’t remember exactly how much I paid for it, but I’m pretty sure it was less than $100. Anyways, it’s the only carbon bar that I currently have on any of my 28 bicycles. I used to have an aerus C4 road drop bar on my old aluminum geared road bike, that I changed out with aluminum simply because it was too wide for me and I couldn’t find anything narrower in carbon. The aerus did survive several bad crashes w/o any structural damage.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-07-18, 11:01 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperPershing
i know a brand called Toseek. Its a Taiwanese brand dedicated to make carbon components. But regardless of brands (i know they make good quality carbon components)

is a carbon dropbar a yay? because it cost as same as one of the good alu ones. And i saw the GCN's review on carbon handle bars. But im still on convinced on their conclusion?? thats why im asking you guys

is a carbon dropbar a yay? for the long run? and if i crash. Would it have a cracked already for the first time? and would a thick bartape help to absorb the impact?

Rethinking this.
I am going with it depends on your bike and where you ride and what your purpose is.

As in I wouldn't put one on my current Single speed. but IF I had a Wabi Lightning or something with the Wabi sub15, then I'd consider a carbon bar. or if I was building light and comfy
I wouldn't put a carbon bar on my himod supersix either, but it has a Canndale alloy c1 bar that works just fine.
but I'd most definitely put a carbon bar on my next gravel bike.

I ran heavy tires on my SS just because they were colored.........LOL it is your money. your bike, your ride. If it makes it more enjoyable for you to ride, regardless of reason. Do it!!!
Old 01-07-18, 11:45 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Zipp Service Course SL-70 Ergo bars are the best bars out there in terms of drops that my hands love. They have now made a carbon version and I am slightly tempted but not enough to go carbon. They are a reputable manufacturer and one I would trust with carbon but I am not swayed quite yet to carbon bars. I certainly wouldn't even keep cheap carbon from no-names or counterfeit/knock offs anywhere near the table as they can be more dangerous and poorly made.
I have the carbon Zipp SL70 Aero bars and couldn't be happier. I'm near 100kg and I have no fear of getting out of the saddle and really torqueing the bike in a sprint or climb. So far, I've seen no issue with the Zipp bars. I was hesitant to go with carbon, but after having an aluminum bar snap on me at the stem, I figured it couldn't be any worse than what I've already been through.
Old 01-07-18, 04:50 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I have an Easton EC90 TKO carbon road drop bar that I put on my Bianchi Pista Concept after I retired it from track use and repurposed it as a road bike. I don’t remember exactly how much I paid for it, but I’m pretty sure it was less than $100. Anyways, it’s the only carbon bar that I currently have on any of my 28 bicycles. I used to have an aerus C4 road drop bar on my old aluminum geared road bike, that I changed out with aluminum simply because it was too wide for me and I couldn’t find anything narrower in carbon. The aerus did survive several bad crashes w/o any structural damage.
28 bikes? WOW. Do you ride them all? I will mention that the next time the wife complains about my 4 bikes lol.

Dave
Old 01-07-18, 04:58 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by bonsai171
28 bikes? WOW. Do you ride them all? I will mention that the next time the wife complains about my 4 bikes lol.

Dave
I ride about half of them on a regular basis, but they all get ridden at least once a year. Some are very nice custom vintage bikes that I keep as collector items. Since I am single and live alone, I don’t have to explain my habits to someone else.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-07-18, 06:15 PM
bonsai171

I ride about half of them on a regular basis, but they all get ridden at least once a year. Some are very nice custom vintage bikes that I keep as collector items. Since I am single and live alone, I don’t have to explain my habits to someone else.
How do you decide which one to ride?

Dave
Old 01-07-18, 06:53 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by bonsai171
How do you decide which one to ride?

Dave
Depends on the conditions, the activity and my mood that day. If it’s not really windy, I’ll ride one of my SSFG bikes, otherwise I’ll use one of my geared rigs. If I’m just riding a few miles around my hood, I’ll jump on a bike with riser or flat bars, and platform pedals with street shoes. If going to ride more than 20 miles, I’ll take a bike with bullhorns or drop bars with hooded brake levers, and wear cleated cycling shoes with clipless pedals. If I’m going grocery shopping, I’ll take the Motobecane Messenger, because it has a rear rack and saddlebags. In wet weather, I’ll ride one of my bikes with fenders. Nontheless, there is definite redundancy in my collection, and I could easily get along with half as many.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-07-18, 06:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

He does "eeny, meeny, miney, moe, catch a tiger by the toe, if he hollers let him go, my mother say to pick the very best one and you are not it!" twenty seven times.

-Tim-
Old 01-07-18, 07:29 PM
Altimis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, don't wanna make a new thread.

Any 25.4-25.6mm carbon drop bars? I try search for one but seems like its not exist or rare. I don't want to put on threadless conversion things.

Would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-18, 07:32 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I wouldn't expect to find any.
Old 01-07-18, 07:54 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Also, using a carbon bar with a quill stem would be courting disaster.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-07-18, 08:07 PM
Altimis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also, using a carbon bar with a quill stem would be courting disaster.
Alright, I gave up that idea now.

Its not like i will find any too. I am done lol.
Old 01-07-18, 08:15 PM
bonsai171

He does "eeny, meeny, miney, moe, catch a tiger by the toe, if he hollers let him go, my mother say to pick the very best one and you are not it!" twenty seven times.

-Tim-
Lol. I haven't got quite to that point, but sometimes it is really hard. For me, 2 bikes have spd pedals, and one is look pedals. So one way to figure out which bike to ride is which set of shoes to wear

Dave
Old 01-14-18, 05:49 AM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lost my internet for a while and getting back with a lit forum. Nice! So many info!-w-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.