Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Proposed guide for newbies - a guide for the perplexed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Proposed guide for newbies - a guide for the perplexed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 03:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,933 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
What is so hard about having a single guide for getting people started? Is recreational cycling such a mystical thing that the very basics are so completely different than other reasons for getting a bike? Is there a requirement to anoint a recreation cyclist's first bike with the milk from a virgin elf and near beer from a dwarf brewery?
Rachel120 ... I think you are the one to write such a guide. Then, when you have a question you cannot answer, as here.

You have the viewpoint most of us have forgotten---before we learned all the stuff that makes us so self-important---- no, I mean helpful and informative.
Old 01-03-18, 05:18 PM
OBoile

Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
In starting this thread, i hoped to answer the questions most often asked by newbies here like how much should i spend, what should I get, and where should I shop? As pertains accessories, people do ask, what do I need? You could say nothing, but I think if someone asks, I stand by my breakdown of things to get right away, then things to get next, and finally, things that would be nice to have. And I stand by what I said. A helmet for safety because why not? And, FWIW, the person most likely to fall over riding is someone new to cycling. A lock if you plan to leave your bike unattended for even a short time. A pump to inflate tires. And a spare tube and tire levers to repair a flat. Flat tires are a random occurence. You can go a year or two without having one, then get flats on two consecutive days. So best to be prepared from day one, IMO. Yes, it is a good idea to have a backup plan, but I would save the emergency backup for something less obvious than a flat tire. And as I mentioned earlier, quite often there are good Samaritans out on the bike path or road willing and able to assist a rider with a flat. But they can't help you if you don't even have a spare tube or patch kit.

I will finish with this. I bought a spare tube, patch kit, tire levers and frame pump when I bought my bike 20 years ago. But my flat repair skills were shaky at best and only got better about 6 years ago. I feel much better about riding longer than I did back then.
Just to be clear, I think your initial list was solid, and everything you have in the "Must Haves" category is something I would recommend to a beginner to purchase right away, even if not absolutely, by definition, necessary.
Old 01-03-18, 05:24 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Sheesh! OP posted what I thought was a good starter list, and I understand the motivation to do it as questions about buying bike from a relative newbie pop up about once a month, and y'all start criticizing the list almost immediately about what's a must-have, nice-to-have, etc. C'mon, folks.

It's not an exhaustive list but it covers the basics, and for most newbies it's more than sufficient.
Old 01-03-18, 05:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,613 Times in 1,061 Posts
From a newbie perspective only, forgetting about anything else, what would be the easiest bike, equipment and accessories req'd to operate, maintain, and start riding (this gets tricky as then terrain ridden is a question), coming from a place of no experience whatsoever in riding or operating a bike?
Old 01-03-18, 06:47 PM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
This is good stuff.

Perhaps including something about finding a co-op would be useful; both for purchase and maintenance. I started riding again four or five years ago. I found this site a little over a year ago; prior to spending time reading the posts (LOTS of time), I would have never known that co-ops existed.

While you listed a handful of quality brands, it also might be helpful to list store-brands (brands to avoid). When shopping craigslist, unless someone indicates where they purchased it a newbie might not know.

Thanks for compiling the list.
Old 01-04-18, 07:57 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
As we start 2018, a proposal. Literally every week, we get new threads from newcomers on what bike, accessories to get. I propose a sticky that will help newbies get started on our sport/hobby/obsession.
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
From a newbie perspective only, forgetting about anything else, what would be the easiest bike, equipment and accessories req'd to operate, maintain, and start riding (this gets tricky as then terrain ridden is a question), coming from a place of no experience whatsoever in riding or operating a bike?
Yes.
Old 01-04-18, 05:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,933 Times in 2,053 Posts
I second the motion to make this stick to something.
Old 01-04-18, 06:08 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
One person's opinion, sure why quibble? But a proposed sticky thread guide for newbies probably shouldn't have controversial recommendations. Most of the original post is pretty good and I'm fine with it. The accessories part, I think would work for some but is just bad advice (no offense intended). The only thing you "must have" is some sort of air pump. The "probably need" isn't really probable, unless you ride like OP probably does. And so on.

Buying a step up, I can certainly respect OP's opinion on that, but I and others would pretty strongly advise against it. It shouldn't be in a sticky "Guide for Newbies", since it's not really a consensus - maybe even a minority viewpoint.
Old 01-04-18, 07:43 PM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as a sticky, I hope the OP posts a new post with the original information and anything additional in this discussion that was generally agreed upon and then the post locked and sticky'd. The bickering we did in this thread is best not sticky'd and not labeled for new people to read. It could scare some people off.
Old 01-05-18, 12:31 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Good idea, Rachel - if the OP has that much time.
Old 01-05-18, 08:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

In starting this thread, i hoped to answer the questions most often asked by newbies here like how much should i spend, what should I get, and where should I shop?
So the only minor niggle I had with your OP, is I think based on and because of the first part of the above sentence. I do maintain that you don't know where a person is coming from when they decide to take up (again) or get serious about bicycling. Most people learned to ride a bike as a kid; they are the true newbies and truly probably have no money and likely they aren't posting on BF. I'd guess most people posting here are adults and have ridden a bike before.

So, section #2 -- how much to budget. I think most folks would already know what they want or can spend. Perhaps a minority do want to know how little they can get away with spending to achieve X. Suggestion would be to rephrase lead-in to something like "a serviceable and well-operating bike can be obtained for as low as $400 at an LBS, but depending on features and construction, spending 10x this amount is likewise easily possible". Your other sections can touch on what those features/construction variances are if you like.

Section #5, your lead-in again of "What you can expect for your money is a basic, probably aluminum bike." You don't know this and this presumes on the reader. I'd suggest rephrasing to mention new bikes under $1K are generally likely alloy or low-grade steel, $1-2K could be any material, and over $2K are likely CF or Titanium, etc... This is still generalizing, but is more of a "guide" than presuming to tell a reader what they can afford.

Anyway, I generally like most of what you wrote.. I think there's room for a Sticky of this sort (not sure you're aware, but Road Cycling forum has one .. you may want to borrow some of this thread's links that are not road-bike specific? https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ered-here.html
Old 01-05-18, 08:49 AM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OBoile
As for water, I purchased a bottle immediately. But most new riders aren't going out for several hours at a time. If they are, they could always plan a quick pit-stop at home to chug a glass or two. Not ideal by any means, and certainly not optimal but doable.
I've never actually purchased a water bottle. I do have a half dozen Gatorade bottles with squirt tops that I've refilled countless times and keep in my refrigerator.
Old 01-05-18, 08:59 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 209 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
One person's opinion, sure why quibble? But a proposed sticky thread guide for newbies probably shouldn't have controversial recommendations. Most of the original post is pretty good and I'm fine with it. The accessories part, I think would work for some but is just bad advice (no offense intended). The only thing you "must have" is some sort of air pump. The "probably need" isn't really probable, unless you ride like OP probably does. And so on.

Buying a step up, I can certainly respect OP's opinion on that, but I and others would pretty strongly advise against it. It shouldn't be in a sticky "Guide for Newbies", since it's not really a consensus - maybe even a minority viewpoint.
You think so? It is just a suggestion but my thought went to future proofing the initial purchase so the newbie doesn't feel the need to upgrade within a year of purchasing their new bike. And, most bike riders who are not enthusiasts tend to keep their bikes a long time, maybe 7 to 10 years, and over the course of those years, an extra $80 to $150 spend upfront will not be felt, but the benefit of a slightly upgraded bike will be. If we were to agree examples of an entry level $400 bike is something like the Giant Escape 3 at $380 retail or the Trek FX1 at $399. Both decent examples of entry level bikes with 7 speed freewheels. Decent name brands and nothing really wrong with 7 speeds. In both cases, an additional $80 or $100 up front gets you an 8 speed freehub and equivalent shifters and if someone can find a sale, maybe even 9 speed, disc brakes or carbon fork.
Old 01-05-18, 09:01 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Tape2012
I've never actually purchased a water bottle. I do have a half dozen Gatorade bottles with squirt tops that I've refilled countless times and keep in my refrigerator.
Whatever works for you. I am not sure if you should re use plastic bottles made for a single use.
Old 01-05-18, 09:09 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So the only minor niggle I had with your OP, is I think based on and because of the first part of the above sentence. I do maintain that you don't know where a person is coming from when they decide to take up (again) or get serious about bicycling. Most people learned to ride a bike as a kid; they are the true newbies and truly probably have no money and likely they aren't posting on BF. I'd guess most people posting here are adults and have ridden a bike before.

So, section #2 -- how much to budget. I think most folks would already know what they want or can spend. Perhaps a minority do want to know how little they can get away with spending to achieve X. Suggestion would be to rephrase lead-in to something like "a serviceable and well-operating bike can be obtained for as low as $400 at an LBS, but depending on features and construction, spending 10x this amount is likewise easily possible". Your other sections can touch on what those features/construction variances are if you like.

Section #5, your lead-in again of "What you can expect for your money is a basic, probably aluminum bike." You don't know this and this presumes on the reader. I'd suggest rephrasing to mention new bikes under $1K are generally likely alloy or low-grade steel, $1-2K could be any material, and over $2K are likely CF or Titanium, etc... This is still generalizing, but is more of a "guide" than presuming to tell a reader what they can afford.

Anyway, I generally like most of what you wrote.. I think there's room for a Sticky of this sort (not sure you're aware, but Road Cycling forum has one .. you may want to borrow some of this thread's links that are not road-bike specific? https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ered-here.html
I am not sure most newbies do. It seems to me a lot of folks who haven't ridden in 25 or 30 years truly don't know what they can get. Every couple of weeks, you get a person looking to spend no more than $200 on a new bike. On the other hand, there is a minority of newbies looking to spend more than they need, and if they do not get unbiased advise someplace, might get taken advantage of at some bike shop that will be more than happy to sell that person a $2,500 bike when maybe, the person only needs to spend $1,000 or less.

That said, I would wager there are a lot more newbies who need to be talked into spending more than $200 on a new bike than there are newbies who need to be convinced that they don't need to spend as much for a new bike as they would for a decent used car.
Old 01-05-18, 09:17 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,868 Times in 2,510 Posts
Helmets required for cycling?
Most bicycle accidents result in road rash and broken bones, so full body armor with neck brace is a very, very good idea. Lightweight carbon fiber body armor, of course. Think of all the hospital visits avoided. Save the nation.
Old 01-05-18, 09:20 AM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do like the idea of a sticky for new riders. Good plan. I also agree that every newbie comes to the sport for different reasons, knowledge, experience and budget.

I also think that the give and take debate atmosphere of the forum probably doesn't lend itself well to reducing confusion for new members. Maybe the mods can facilitate getting newbies genuinely seeking help teamed up with an experienced BF member as a mentor for some one-on-one guidance to get them headed in the right direction before they get thrown to the wolves.
Old 01-05-18, 09:20 AM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever works for you. I am not sure if you should re use plastic bottles made for a single use.
As long as you clean the bottles to the same standard as plastic drinking glasses it would be fine.
Old 01-05-18, 09:38 AM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps. My ex-fiance used to get on me about that as well.

But I'm pretty sure some day when medical students are carving up my body, their conclusion as to cause of death won't be "He shouldn't have reused those Gatorade bottles".
Old 01-05-18, 09:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You think so?
I do, but whether I'm right or not is not really the point. There are enough good points on either side, and enough disagreement there, that it's not a generally "this is true" rule worthy of your guide for newbies. Someone said simple is better, and I agree.

Personally I wouldn't want a 7-speed freewheel setup because I'd upgrade, but even that eliminates some bikes that would do well for a newbie as you mention here. It seemed to me that your "components" recommendations, for a freehub/8 or 9 speed bike, which I don't quibble with, is already recommending "a step up".

It is just a suggestion but my thought went to future proofing the initial purchase so the newbie doesn't feel the need to upgrade within a year of purchasing their new bike. And, most bike riders who are not enthusiasts tend to keep their bikes a long time, maybe 7 to 10 years, and over the course of those years, an extra $80 to $150 spend upfront will not be felt, but the benefit of a slightly upgraded bike will be. If we were to agree examples of an entry level $400 bike is something like the Giant Escape 3 at $380 retail or the Trek FX1 at $399. Both decent examples of entry level bikes with 7 speed freewheels. Decent name brands and nothing really wrong with 7 speeds. In both cases, an additional $80 or $100 up front gets you an 8 speed freehub and equivalent shifters and if someone can find a sale, maybe even 9 speed, disc brakes or carbon fork.
Old 01-05-18, 10:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I am not sure most newbies do. It seems to me a lot of folks who haven't ridden in 25 or 30 years truly don't know what they can get. Every couple of weeks, you get a person looking to spend no more than $200 on a new bike. On the other hand, there is a minority of newbies looking to spend more than they need, and if they do not get unbiased advise someplace, might get taken advantage of at some bike shop that will be more than happy to sell that person a $2,500 bike when maybe, the person only needs to spend $1,000 or less.

That said, I would wager there are a lot more newbies who need to be talked into spending more than $200 on a new bike than there are newbies who need to be convinced that they don't need to spend as much for a new bike as they would for a decent used car.
Sorry, but I don't recall a lot of these threads you think exist (people looking to spend $200 on a new bike).. I had to hunt a bit for a 'newbie' purchase type of thread and found this one, which I think is somewhat typical. Lots of good and not-so-good advice. The point though is I don't think a sticky buying guide should take the stance that all newbie rider/bike questions are coming from the same set of personal circumstances.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...just-hype.html
Old 01-05-18, 11:41 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Helmets required for cycling?
Most bicycle accidents result in road rash and broken bones, so full body armor with neck brace is a very, very good idea. Lightweight carbon fiber body armor, of course. Think of all the hospital visits avoided. Save the nation.
Road rash will heal in a week or two. A broken bone will heal in a couple of months. Even a torn up knee or shoulder can be repaired and be good as new in a few months. A brain injury could be a life changing event

That said, you are right. Unless the law requires it, you don't have to wear a helmet. But, IMO there is no (good) reason not to.
Old 01-05-18, 11:56 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Tape2012
Perhaps. My ex-fiance used to get on me about that as well.

But I'm pretty sure some day when medical students are carving up my body, their conclusion as to cause of death won't be "He shouldn't have reused those Gatorade bottles".
This is going way off topic, but I've never understood the idea that it was bad to reuse those bottles. "They" say chemicals will leach into your drink, but my question has always been: if, when I reuse these, chemicals leach into my drink after having water in it for an hour or two, why don't chemicals leach into the original contents which are in there for several weeks before being consumed.

To me, if you were concerned about this, the smart thing to do would be to immediately empty the original contents upon opening and then put in a new drink that hasn't had chemicals leaching into it for weeks.
Old 01-05-18, 11:59 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
The experts in the field disagree with you.

Recyclable plastics, like those used in water bottles and Gatorade bottles, break down over time and release BPA and or BPS.
As I said in my post above, if anything, this should be incentive to not drink the original contents of the bottle which have been exposed to the release of BPA or BPS for a far, far longer time.
Old 01-05-18, 12:22 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by OBoile
As I said in my post above, if anything, this should be incentive to not drink the original contents of the bottle which have been exposed to the release of BPA or BPS for a far, far longer time.
Disposable plastic bottles don't are hard to clean. That would be my biggest concern. Besides, reusable plastic bottles are fairly cheap. I buy at least 3 or 4 new ones a year, an thus own t least a couple of dozen, even accounting for the ones I lose or discard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.