Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Considering Moving to a Compact.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 05:54 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts

My trainer bike has 10 speed Ultegra 52-36 crank with a 12-25 cassette. The bike is on a Tacx Neo. I've been doing a lot of hill climbing on Zwift and find myself in the 36-25 more than I care to admit. I can get up the Radio Tower climb but honestly I could use a few more gears. I'm considering swapping out the crankset for a compact (50-34) with an 11-28 cassette. I don't really see any downside to this move. Am I missing something?
Old 01-12-18, 05:57 PM
jch3n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't find yourself spinning out on fast descents too often then, no, nothing wrong with switching to a compact.
Old 01-12-18, 06:07 PM
TCR Rider

That's not too much of an issue for me but I thought about it and going from a 12 to an 11 on the cassette should mitigate that a bit.
Old 01-12-18, 06:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
If you have a braze-on front derailer, check that you can drop it a bit. If clamp on, no problem.
Old 01-12-18, 07:41 PM
TCR Rider

I could adjust the front der but there may be a problem there. To get access to the fastening bolt on the derailleur I need to move the bottle cage out of the way and that bolt is stripped. I was just letting sleeping dogs lie and leave it alone. Now I may have to figure out a way to get it out without damaging the CF frame.
Old 01-12-18, 09:48 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I thought the difficulty setting in Zwift was essentially the same.

Second hand info...
Old 01-12-18, 10:02 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by f4rrest
I thought the difficulty setting in Zwift was essentially the same.

Second hand info...
Difficulty setting explained

https://zwiftinsider.com/using-the-t...ting-in-zwift/
Old 01-12-18, 11:47 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by TCR Rider
I'm just relaying what I read here yesterday. It seems much simpler than swapping the chainring.
Old 01-13-18, 12:09 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Compacts are cool. I can't sprint for **** and I descend like a grandma, so I never spin out anyway.
Old 01-13-18, 12:19 AM
Kontact

Liked 1,852 Times in 1,198 Posts
It seems crazy to have to modify a bike to get it to ride properly in a simulated environment.
Old 01-13-18, 02:19 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why not just try a different cassette in the rear first, maybe something that has a 32 on it?
Old 01-13-18, 03:05 AM
Racing Dan

Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Why cant home trainers be set to emulate a lower gear or emulate any gear for that matter? Lower resistance, but more RPMs is the same thing as High resistance and few RPMs.
Old 01-13-18, 05:48 AM
TCR Rider

I'm just relaying what I read here yesterday. It seems much simpler than swapping the chainring.
Personally I'd rather have a more realistic feel going up the hills since there's no difficulty setting in the real world. After all that's why I ride in the pain cave now to help hit the spring stronger.😉
Old 01-13-18, 06:15 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 740 Times in 377 Posts
Am I missing something?
Some smilies?

Old 01-13-18, 08:52 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Personally I'd rather have a more realistic feel going up the hills since there's no difficulty setting in the real world. After all that's why I ride in the pain cave now to help hit the spring stronger.😉
?

You do know that in the real world, you can't ride bikes inside while outside right?

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you can adjust resistance in Zwift to emulate a smaller gear on climbs but choose not to for some reason, or are you saying that adjustment is not possible?
Old 01-13-18, 10:15 AM
afonsogrf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would not it be better to just change the cassette before and only after changing the crankset?
Old 01-13-18, 10:24 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

That's not too much of an issue for me but I thought about it and going from a 12 to an 11 on the cassette should mitigate that a bit.
I switched from 12-25 39-53 to what you're proposing.

On outdoor rides, it's much easier to get up the mountain, but I do spin out going down.

...or maybe I'm no longer eager to race around blind corners on the open road. Not sure.
Old 01-13-18, 10:39 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, if you don't want to dial your trainer setting back to emulate more gears, why not build a trainer specific bike. Or better yet, dial your trainer back and slowly bring it back up to 100%?

Watts are watts. You have a good trainer, why not dial it back until you become strong enough to climb it at whatever cadence you want?

Sorry, this makes no sense to me. You'd be surprised at how many have their trainer setting dialed back. It is a VIDEO GAME after all.

Not trying to impress anyone, I'm out for the workout and to stay in shape in the off season.
Old 01-13-18, 10:47 AM
TCR Rider

So, if you don't want to dial your trainer setting back to emulate more gears, why not build a trainer specific bike. Or better yet, dial your trainer back and slowly bring it back up to 100%?

As I said in my initial post this is a trainer specific bike.
Old 01-13-18, 10:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Why cant home trainers be set to emulate a lower gear or emulate any gear for that matter? Lower resistance, but more RPMs is the same thing as High resistance and few RPMs.
Effectively, this is what the "trainer difficulty" setting does. Although using lower trainer difficulty setting will make hills feel easier than in the real world if going by Zwift's gradient indicators, just because you can spin well or run a lower gear, won't make your speed in Zwift any faster than what Zwift is calculating your speed should be based on the watts/kg you're putting out for the gradient shown.

Personally I'd rather have a more realistic feel going up the hills since there's no difficulty setting in the real world. After all that's why I ride in the pain cave now to help hit the spring stronger.��
This implies you already have your trainer difficulty set at 100%. If your outdoor riding actually contains much of the same gradients as Zwift's courses do, then by all means get a different chainset for your bike, or cassette for your trainer. What does your road bike have for gearing? There's probably some sense in having your trainer and trainer bike configured similar to your outdoor bike.
Old 01-13-18, 10:53 AM
TCR Rider

I switched from 12-25 39-53 to what you're proposing.

On outdoor rides, it's much easier to get up the mountain, but I do spin out going down.

...or maybe I'm no longer eager to race around blind corners on the open road. Not sure.
I'm not overly concerned with spinning out on descents just climbing for the moment. I'm still coming back from a knee replacement so my normally piddly wattage output is further compromised while I work on getting back my leg strength.
Old 01-13-18, 10:55 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As I said in my initial post this is a trainer specific bike.
My bad. Sorry I missed that. Than I say do it if that's what you want.
Old 01-13-18, 11:46 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,826 Times in 3,124 Posts
I find myself in the 36-25 more than I care to admit. I can get up the Radio Tower climb but honestly I could use a few more gears. I'm considering swapping out the crankset for a compact (50-34) with an 11-28 cassette. I don't really see any downside to this move.
Let me get this right; you want to change your gearing to make the Radio Tower climb easier, but you don't want to change the setting on the trainer to make the climb easier, because that wouldn't be realistic?

Am I missing something?
Yes.
Old 01-13-18, 05:58 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Let me get this right; you want to change your gearing to make the Radio Tower climb easier, but you don't want to change the setting on the trainer to make the climb easier, because that wouldn't be realistic?

Yes.
Not to necessarily make it easier, I can get up all the climbs in Zwift with the 36-25 combo, but to be able to do it at a higher cadence instead of grinding it out at 65 rpms. I hope that clarifies it for you.

Last edited by TCR Rider; 01-13-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 06:08 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Effectively, this is what the "trainer difficulty" setting does. Although using lower trainer difficulty setting will make hills feel easier than in the real world if going by Zwift's gradient indicators, just because you can spin well or run a lower gear, won't make your speed in Zwift any faster than what Zwift is calculating your speed should be based on the watts/kg you're putting out for the gradient shown.

This implies you already have your trainer difficulty set at 100%. If your outdoor riding actually contains much of the same gradients as Zwift's courses do, then by all means get a different chainset for your bike, or cassette for your trainer. What does your road bike have for gearing? There's probably some sense in having your trainer and trainer bike configured similar to your outdoor bike.
My outdoor bike has DA Di2 11 speed with the gearing I am looking at putting on the trainer ride. 50-34 with 12-28. That's as close as I can get to the outdoor bike without upgrading to an 11 speed which I couldn't justify doing on a trainer bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.