Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How many bikes is reasonable to have?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How many bikes is reasonable to have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 01:10 PM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Space is the limiting factor (and spousal support if that applies, as it does in my case). We (I say we as she is a bike enthusiast as well) got up to around 40 and are now down to 30. There will be some good deals in the classifieds in the coming weeks as I'm trying to get to around 20. 22 seems to be where I'm really headed after looking at the inventory, though she is looking for a gravel bike and a Ti bike.

We have the space for about 30 if I limit my other hobbies.....and I just reignited an old hobby that is the cause of the pending purge. This slightly (?!?!) modified 1958 VW came to a new home yesterday.
Old 01-23-18, 02:15 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; 2004 Kona Caldera; 1986/7 D. Douglas Mtb.

Liked 173 Times in 63 Posts
The maximum I had at one time is 7 - now at 6 and hopefully soon to be 5. At 61 I am at the point where comfort and practicality are the most important so on that basis the reality would be just three bikes, perhaps two but I like the French Peschi road bike and the all chrome Garlatti I re purposed, although it is still a comfortable and useful bike it really comes down to the 650b rando bikes as I do most of my riding between them.

As I age they will become more essential and of course if I move to a smaller place one day that will necessitate selling at least three. and yes maintenance costs are also a consideration although one could argue that if you spread out the mileage between multiple bikes that should actually prolong component life - depends how you look at it. One thing is certain, I love the more expensive 650b tires from Compass and that is somewhat costly when you have them on two bikes, even the Soma ones are up there, especially when one lives in Canada.
Old 01-27-18, 06:20 AM
rustymetal

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 27inch
I've got over 50 bikes if you count those waiting to be put together.
I tend to buy anything that's my size if its cheap.
My ex told me I had too many bikes, too many boats, too many guns, too many trucks, too many trains, too many slot cars, too many motorcycles, and too many fishing rods and reels and I drink too much beer.
She laid down the law 20 years ago and told me to get rid of it all and stop buying beer.
Did you notice that I referred to her as my ex...My house, my rules, my way.
I have a neighbor who's wife kept complaining about his huge pile of old dirt bikes and all the beer he drank, he ditched her and got himself a wife that liked the bikes and beer. Now its 20 years later and he's stuck with a 400 lb wife that lays around the house drunk and complains about everything.

For me, I'm always swapping and trading, if I get one I like, it stays till I like something else better. Then I've got the few bikes that I won't ever sell, those that have been with me most of my life or those that have been handed down over the years. Right now I've got about 10, maybe more if you count the row of frames and wheels waiting for me to build them back into bikes again.
Old 01-27-18, 08:59 AM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
How much room do you have? I think if you reach the point where bikes will rust because you have to put them outside, then maybe. What am I saying?? Build a shed.. Of course I am in accumulation mode, so may not be the best to provide guidance. And I have lots of room. I think the divorce issue would probably stop me. Hmmmm, unless I find that pristine 51cm Cinelli...

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 01-27-18, 09:30 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Liked 324 Times in 126 Posts
Well, I'm currently at six with another build on the way. I get zero grief from my bride of many years because the bikes cost a fraction of the '56 Chevy Bel-Air that previously occupied "my side" of the garage. Just the same, I'm approaching the point where I'll need to be more creative with storage if another good bike comes my way. I dread the thought of selling one to make space.

Dean
Old 01-27-18, 10:42 AM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
I've been trying to downsize for a while now

I wish I could get down to 3 or 4. Not counting bikes I bought to flip or part out, I've sold a no-name single speed, a Technium, LOOK lugged CF, Lemond CF, Viscount, Trek 1400. I have a Viscount frame for sale now.

I have left a Falcon and a Romic which I will never sell, even if I stop riding. That leaves a PX-10, Trek 660 (my favorite right now), GT Talera MTB, Cannondale road and a Shogun 500 touring that I am building up this winter.

Really haven't ridden the PX-10 or C-dale enough to have a strong opinion. The Shogun is an unknown.

So I guess if I take the Falcon & Romic out of consideration, I'm pretty close to reasonable.

Another "First World" dilemma.

Last edited by vtchuck; 01-27-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 11:25 PM
barnfind

Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
My ex said I should be on hoarders.
I've got about 100 or so bikes, but most are in an old shed down back.
I keep about 20 or so of my best bikes in the house, in a spare room upstairs and in the basement.
I could do with about 4 or 5 but bikes don't bring much around here and I'm not giving away a good bike for $50 to $100.
Those out back came from years of picking at yardsales, flea markets, and on CL. I never pay much, $10-$20 is about it for a complete bike.
I buy anything that fits me or for some reason peaks my interest. I'm not too concerned with what it is or who made it.
I've got balloon tire bikes, three speeds, road bikes, mountain bikes, and even a few with wood wheels.