Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Helinox Cot Lite...Anyone use a cot when touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 05:05 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

At age 61, the ground just isn't as comfortable for tent camping as it was years ago. I seen a mention about a Helinox lightweight cot for camping. It's under 2 lbs, 10 oz. I'm planning a trip this summer, they are a bit expensive, but I'd be willing to pay it for a good night's sleep.
Just wonder is anyone has experience with this particular tent. Any drawbacks?
I've wondered if with long-term use, it might eventually compromise the floor of the tent (holes).

https://www.rei.com/product/889599/helinox-cot-lite
Old 01-30-18, 05:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
you going to tow a trailer? one problem with a cot is air circulation under it and you are compressing the sleeping bag insulation under you..
then you need an insulating quilt suspended under the cot....

For Comfort, and packing small & light, I'd Suggest an insulated air mattress.. the insulation is in the air filled tubes,
so it is an insulating dead air space..
Old 01-30-18, 05:37 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
you going to tow a trailer? one problem with a cot is air circulation under it and you are compressing the sleeping bag insulation under you..
then you need an insulating quilt suspended under the cot....

For Comfort, and packing small & light, I'd Suggest an insulated air mattress.. the insulation is in the air filled tubes,
so it is an insulating dead air space..

No, won't be towing a trailer.
What wrong with air circulation under the cot, when touring in warm to hot weather?
Old 01-30-18, 06:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
knock your self out then, you go to it.. BTW hammocks are comfy too ..

I went to Ireland last week of February, loved my warm bag with its down filled air mattress
Old 01-30-18, 07:22 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I don't have any experience with that particular cot but I have used a ground level cot like that on a pack-in hunting trip in the Sawtooths of Idaho. Night and day difference in the quality of sleep. Used with an insulating pad and I believe it is the best sleep you'll get in a tent. OTOH, as fietsbob mentioned, unless it is warm (which you indicated) you will lose all of your insulating value of your sleeping bag underneath if used without a pad. If you have the room and the legs for an extra 2 1/2 pounds of weight and can swing the coinage necessary to acquire it, I'd bet you will be happy on that vs. on a ground pad. As far as holes in the tent floor, I doubt that would be an issue unless it sits in exactly the same place every time. Or get a sheet of Tyvek to set it on.
I should mention we packed in with llamas. No way would I personally carry 2 1/2 pounds extra in a backpack.

You DO have a quality inflatable pad right? I highly recommend a therm-a-rest neoair. Beats the heck out of one of those thin foam pads.

ETA: After saying all that, again I agree with [MENTION=197614]fietsbob[/MENTION]. If it's warm weather and trees available get a hammock. Very comfy. But learn how to hang it correctly and how to lie in it correctly. Does away with the need for a cot AND a pad. Again assuming it's warm enough out so you don't need insulation underneath.

Last edited by WNCGoater; 01-30-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 07:39 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 550 Times in 301 Posts
I third the hammock suggestion. There's a bit of research in getting a good understanding of the gear and how to do it right, but it's way more comfy than sleeping on the ground once you figure out how to make it work for you.
Old 01-30-18, 08:49 PM
jay1680

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I own a Helinox cot and use it for car camping. They are great, easy to set up and comfortable. I wouldn't want to carry one on my bike though.
Old 01-30-18, 09:55 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm I've been thinking about a cot too. Had a Hennessy Hammock before, absolutely hated it, never got more than an hour of sleep in it and there are tons of places with no trees so you have to carry all the extra crap to prop it up and all that just like a tent. a cot would be good cause in theory you could lay perfectly flat and it'd be brilliant in hot weather. Please let us know how you like it if you get one.
Old 01-30-18, 10:14 PM
alan s 

Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
A quality air pad such as Thermarest works great. As long as you are off the ground, there is little difference in comfort between a cot and an air pad. I tried one out that a friend had who was going motorcycle touring. It was nice, but totally unnecessary. If you can’t find a good place to set up your tent and end up sleeping on rocks, a smooth surface would be a plus.
Old 01-30-18, 10:16 PM
DanBell

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I used the thermarest cot at the start of this tour. I slept really well on it, better than I ever have on a camp mattress. On a very cold night up in Yosemite I stuffed my spare clothes under the cot to trap the air and keep me warm. Worked perfectly. That particular cot absolutely will wear out the floor of your tent though.

I eventually gave it up because it's just too big and heavy.
Old 01-31-18, 06:08 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
At age 61, the ground just isn't as comfortable for tent camping as it was years ago. I seen a mention about a Helinox lightweight cot for camping. It's under 2 lbs, 10 oz. I'm planning a trip this summer, they are a bit expensive, but I'd be willing to pay it for a good night's sleep.
Just wonder is anyone has experience with this particular tent. Any drawbacks?
I've wondered if with long-term use, it might eventually compromise the floor of the tent (holes).

https://www.rei.com/product/889599/helinox-cot-lite
I'm your age, and I must say that cot does indeed look comfy. Were I car-camping or touring by motorcycle I'd go for it in a heartbeat, but any added comfort would be outweighed by the extra weight. The irony is that as we age, our metabolism slows down. We tend to gain weight easier. By hauling around the extra two pounds, you'll get more fit and you'll sleep better anyway! Gravity is the old man's enemy, lol!

Seriously, I'd just opt for the nicest, most comfy air mattress.
Old 01-31-18, 08:20 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I'm 58, skinny as a rake, my bones have no flesh to protect them and I would definitely, buy a cot if I could afford it. The extra weight to me would not be a problem as I tour with a dog in a trailer and you can imagine the weight I am pulling, but I am in no hurry to get anywhere when I tour, so I take gear for my comfort level. I do use a 3 centimetre self inflating mattrest and it does the job, even in winter. Take what you want to take, just put something ender each leg to stop holes forming in the floor of your tent.