Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Those who live near a velodrome, help us understand why you don't care to race there

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Those who live near a velodrome, help us understand why you don't care to race there

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 07:10 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
^^ this guy wonders why more people don't want to come race track with him...

Haha I was thinking that this thread is exactly what my Intro to Track experience was like.
Old 02-21-18, 07:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Haha I was thinking that this thread is exactly what my Intro to Track experience was like.
I apologize for being rude.

I felt like instead of focusing on my questions, he wanted to call me out as a “Track outsider”, (which I felt I was not) and therefore my questions aren’t worth answering.
Old 02-21-18, 07:44 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
hmm I actually thought it was a comment on a 2000k watt sprint.
Old 02-21-18, 07:57 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3378 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I wouldn't want to race a track event as a cat 5. I think that'd be pretty silly.
In case you missed it above:
USAC rules 1E4(c) - With the approval of USA Cycling Staff, riders who are Pro or category 1 on the road may be upgraded to category 2 on the track...
Old 02-21-18, 07:58 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
.... The track I've been to most frequently is in Carson, my fitter is there so I've been there dozens of times. ....
Hey we're fit brothers...or siblings!
Old 02-21-18, 08:00 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm a regular at the SDVA which has great participation among the competitive road community. Most of my racing buddies that live within 20 miles of the track are regulars. It helps that it's centrally located....
Distinct differences in attitude between Carson and San Diego.
Old 02-21-18, 08:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Doge
In case you missed it above:
USAC rules 1E4(c) - With the approval of USA Cycling Staff, riders who are Pro or category 1 on the road may be upgraded to category 2 on the track...
I highlighted the operative phrase. This is a subjective, fast tracked upgrade.

Basically, officials don’t think your son is ready for P/1/2 races. If he were, he’d be granted the upgrade.

If you want to avoid the subjective part, your son should get to a track, get on his bike, kick ass until people complain that he should be upgraded. Rinse. Repeat. Until Category = 1
Old 02-21-18, 08:36 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

All about the politicking.
Old 02-21-18, 08:37 PM
Doge

Basically, officials don’t think your son is ready for P/1/2 races. If he were, he’d be granted the upgrade.

If you want to avoid the subjective part, your son should get to a track, get on his bike, kick ass until people complain that he should be upgraded. Rinse. Repeat. Until Category = 1
I doubt that is the issue, I just brought it up my kid as a example of a number of racers that don't bother, and the upgrades are important to kids. The certification process at the track is also too cumbersome. I am an irritant to many in this forum as well, but most know I track the juniors (now adults) from being a house parent, to trip manager to having house guests. So I get their views.

For upgrades I left it to my kid and I think he did it wrong. I expect if I contacted them it would be done. He doesn't want that. Generally we sit on upgrades about a year or so. It was going into a new discipline that didn't seem made sense to start from the bottom - and that irritates people too "sandbagging juniors" - while no longer juniors, it still holds.

Last edited by Doge; 02-21-18 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 08:52 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 2+ hours from the two velodromes near me.
If it wasn't such a drive, I'd probably only race track.
Old 02-21-18, 08:59 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I raced track a few times when I lived in Seattle. Due to the outdoor track and the unpredictable nature of weather, it was hard to be consistent. I loved racing on the track, and now that I'm not near one I regret not doing it more. The community was always so great and welcoming.
Old 02-21-18, 09:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

All about the politicking.
It's actually all about racing.

Asking for an upgrade is secondary.

Originally Posted by Doge
I doubt that is the issue, I just brought it up my kid as a example of a number of racers that don't bother, and the upgrades are important to kids. The certification process at the track is also too cumbersome. I am an irritant to many in this forum as well, but most know I track the juniors (now adults) from being a house parent, to trip manager to having house guests. So I get their views.
It simply is not. Period. Stop saying that.

This is like saying that having to pass a written test then a driving test to receive a driver's license is "too cumbersome". It's just silly.

If your son is interested in racing on the track, he'd do it. Period. Like every other person who has a certification. If 50, 60, and 70 year old people can do it, your son can do it. It sounds like you and/or your son simply think that you are better than the prescribed system and think that the rules simply don't apply to you. Cool. You can enjoy watching us race

If he were as good as you say he is, he'd have the upgrade. You can make your case here until your fingers are blue (you did this in the Track forum, too). It simply won't help.

It seems like you are very proud of your son and he seems like a fine, accomplished young man. But, not having time to complete an intro course is not everyone else's problem. It's not even your problem. t's your son's problem. If it were a big deal to him, he'd get it done. If he is in COS like you say he's been for over a year, then he could have easily gone to the OTC velodrome and to get certified.
Old 02-21-18, 09:15 PM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If your son is interested in racing on the track, he'd do it. Period.
Seems like you have your answer as to why people don't race track.
Old 02-21-18, 09:21 PM
carleton
Elitist

Further, Doge, what you haven't experienced is a few veteran racers coming off the track and saying to the director, "You gotta pull that guy. He's gonna take us all out. If he lines up on the boards for the next race, I'm going home."

With all due respect, I don't think you've ever ridden a track. Just because you think your son would be good at it isn't enough to get him into P/1 races.

The nicest thing I can say is you simply have no effing clue what you are talking about.

There is a reason that only a CAT4 is needed for Time Trials at Elites yet a CAT2 is needed for mass start races. Your son has only done one junior team sprint. He simply isn't qualified.

You can be "that parent" all you want. And the upgrade will simply stay "pending"...until your son proves he can do it.
Old 02-21-18, 09:22 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Ygduf
Seems like you have your answer as to why people don't race track.
You haven't answered. What's your reason? Or are you here just to comment on the comments
Old 02-21-18, 09:28 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
You haven't answered. What's your reason? Or are you here just to comment on the comments
I think he did answer.

Read the replies.
Old 02-21-18, 09:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

I think he did answer.

Read the replies.
Doh. My bad.

Unfortunately, no one can bring a velodrome to people.

This is like saying, "I'd swim if an Olympic pool were closer." Cool. But what about the people who live near the pool. That's the first step. Get them in.
Old 02-21-18, 09:41 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I wouldn't want to race a track event as a cat 5. I think that'd be pretty silly.
You would be a 3 at worst, since you’re a 1 on the road. (after a written quiz - it depends on the track)

That said, in my experience racing the 3’s in the track is more similar to 4’s on the road. It was scary, but maybe that’s just me.
Old 02-21-18, 09:50 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I was thinking about this, and I found the (my?) answer.

Pros like Cav & Viviani mainly do track during the winter - when it’s cold. They aren’t racing on outdoor tracks - that’s a huge factor.

Marymoor is practically unusable in the winter (due to rain), and we Californians are so spoiled/weak that riding Hellyer (also uncovered) is less than ideal.

Every track should have a roof and heating. I’d race a ton at Hellyer if it was warm!! There’s your solution!
Old 02-21-18, 09:55 PM
therhodeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can be "that parent" all you want.
Like telling water it can be wet.
Old 02-21-18, 10:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by mattm
I was thinking about this, and I found the (my?) answer.

Pros like Cav & Viviani mainly do track during the winter - when it’s cold. They aren’t racing on outdoor tracks - that’s a huge factor.

Marymoor is practically unusable in the winter (due to rain), and we Californians are so spoiled/weak that riding Hellyer (also uncovered) is less than ideal.

Every track should have a roof and heating. I’d race a ton at Hellyer if it was warm!! There’s your solution!
Then how do we explain Florida's dilemma? National teams from other countries (FRA, RUS) go there to train in the winter.

I'm willing to accept that the sport simply isn't interesting to many (any?) of you. But, I also want to ask before I assume.

I had gripes about TTown's race programs. As a fat boy (read: sprinter), I suffered every Saturday in "long" mass start races where a 10 lap scratch was the shortest of the day. I'm sort of a one-trick pony when it comes to Track talent. They didn't even offer any sprints at any time except for the Pros during their pro race series in the summer. I'm grateful to DLV and Alpenrose for their sprinter-friendly programs which are somewhat popular. Those programs listen.

Again, I'm not necessarily recruiting people over to the track. I was just wondering if there were some things (small or medium) that would make the addition (not transition) easier.

I've heard:

- Longer races.
- More friendly and inviting intro classes

as things that are pretty easy for directors to implement.

Moving a velodrome closer to everyone's home isn't so easy.
Old 02-21-18, 10:37 PM
Doge

You can be "that parent" all you want. And the upgrade will simply stay "pending"...until your son proves he can do it.
His license is pending because he hasn't signed his racing wavier. I'm at venues all the time without my kid, before I had kids, before I was married. I've always been "that guy" which is why I get piles of free stuff, but that has little to do with your question. Forget my kid and re-read what I posted above. It is not worth the hassle.

If you could show me the U23 Cat 1 road riders coming in at track Cat 5,4 and moving up, I'll say my info is just a regional one from spoiled SoCal kids. I tried to give you data points from the many low 20/teen elite racers I know and speak to. Seems getting new talent into track (from top road talent) is not working out, but maybe I'm wrong.

I've had a houseful of Cat 1 kids who think the track is cool, track riders - not-so-much. They don't want to deal with the process. That should, if you are listening, be data for exactly to what you asked. It was not distance, they love to get into cars and drive 4 hours. Going through a track cert class - nope.

As another example kid's collegiate club is/was 46 members with bike lockers and bike at the COS velodrome. If just 3 cadets would go to the Velodrome - they get to take the government van, paid for by you (there is also an endowment, the you part just sounded cool). But...none of them want to go through the process of getting on that track. We discussed this. So they take vans and trailers and piles of racers other places - but don't touch the COS Velodrome, 20 min away.
Boulder is closing too most likely (real estate) - right near CU. CU has a great team, they don't do track. Why? I talk to their coach a lot, not their riders, so I can't say. I just have not seen that Elite road riders think the barriers are worth it. Even Cat 1 track kids and national champs are leaving. I think (my guess, not told), they want to go where the competition is. The track is pretty closed to youth that want to transfer in, and you have validated that. So the new ones don't come, younger national champions leave, masters track guys stay and have their friends, and it slowly dies.
If you could show me different, I think you would not have posted here.

The track venues need to make it easier to welcome others in. So far, they seem the most closed and the most elite, but I don't know who buys it is all so difficult. Maybe open the doors and prove it is.
Old 02-21-18, 10:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

I haven't validated a god-danged thing you've ever written, doge.

You KEEP fussing about how the certification process is suuuuch a bother. OK. Fine. Move on then. JESUS CHRIST.

Here is some crazy math for you. You've been participating in this thread for 10 hours (check the time stamp on your first post). The normal weekend cert class at DLV is two 4-hour sessions. Some lecture, mostly riding.

You and your son LITERALLY could have finished the certification process with two hours to spare. But, nope. You'd rather fuss about it for 10 hrs...and counting.

Last edited by carleton; 02-21-18 at 10:54 PM. Reason: toned it down
Old 02-21-18, 11:32 PM
Andy STi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the track and miss it dearly. Grew up racing Northbrook, Kenosha and Indy. All had great programs in the late '80s and '90s. Big fields and a nice variety of races. I lived between Northbrook and Kenosha in Northern IL. Took about 30ish min to get to either. Tuesday Kenosha, Thursday Northbrook and sometime Friday Indy. Best weeks were two nights of track and an MTB race on Sunday - now that screws with your body! Now the closest track is 3 hours away and it's program pales in comparison.
Old 02-22-18, 01:05 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
For me at Hellyer, the 4 Saturday sessions required was a bit tough. I tend to do real rides or races on Saturdays, so spending 4 weeks of saturdays getting very little training or fun long rides in was a PITA. I get that getting comfortable on track is a good thing to do before racing of course. But regardless, its a pain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.