Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a disk brake climbing wheel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 02:40 PM
kromozome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to get a pair of wheels for a new build I am working on. I already have deep section disk wheels (Enve 5.6 SES Disk) but want to use the bike in the mountains too. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 03-06-18, 05:43 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I like my ENVE SES 3.4 Discs. I used them first on my gravel bike. For the last 4 months, they've been permanent residents on my BMC SLR01 Disc. They're light, they look great, and they have proven to be extremely strong. Great wheels!

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 03-06-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 06:35 PM
RedBullFiXX

Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Been riding on HUNT 30Carbon Aero Disc
Very well built, light for a Disc wheel at this price point, sub 1400g
Old 03-06-18, 06:44 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Zipp - Speed Weaponry | Wheels | 202 NSW Carbon Clincher Tubeless Disc brake
Old 03-06-18, 08:42 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
"You all are fools if you don't buy this cheap hub, rim, and spokes and build it up yourself for under $500."

Am I doing this right?
Old 03-06-18, 08:48 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Am I doing this right?
Maybe.

Tell you what though, it's amazing how many (virtually all) supposedly high-end manufacturers can't do hubs right.

Shimano splines in aluminium? Fail.

DS axle bearing inboard of the cassette? Fail.

Cartridge bearings? Fail.

Last edited by Kimmo; 03-06-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 10:40 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Love my 4.5 ARs. I've taken them all up and down the Cascades. If I already had a set of 5.6s and wanted something climbing specific I'd be real tempted by the 3.4 Discs.
Old 03-07-18, 03:15 PM
Dave Mayer

Liked 493 Times in 287 Posts
Best climbing wheels:
  • Tubulars (big weight savings)
  • Carbon (ditto)
  • Rim brakes (ditto)
  • Low profile rims (ditto)

Worst climbing wheels:
  • Clinchers or tubeless
  • Alu
  • Disc compatible
  • High profile/aero

So I've been watching Paris-Nice. Even with the little hills they've been climbing so far, I see medium profile rims, zero discs, and all carbon.
Old 03-07-18, 04:41 PM
Dean V

Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Best climbing wheels:
  • Carbon (ditto)
  • Rim brakes (ditto)

Worst climbing wheels:
  • Clinchers or tubeless
  • Alu
  • Disc compatible
  • High profile/aero

So I've been watching Paris-Nice. Even with the little hills they've been climbing so far, I see medium profile rims, zero discs, and all carbon.
And when you go out on your long mountainous ride with no support vehicle and get your 2nd puncture??
Old 03-07-18, 08:14 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Doesn't climbing imply descending?

The thing about discs, is that your carbon rims don't have to mean your braking sucks.

And it seems to me, that a through axle could do for handling what a 1.5" crown bearing does.
Old 03-07-18, 11:33 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 375 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by kromozome
Looking to get a pair of wheels for a new build I am working on. I already have deep section disk wheels (Enve 5.6 SES Disk) but want to use the bike in the mountains too. Any suggestions? Thanks!
ax-lightness. Click through and get the non VAT price

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Doesn't climbing imply descending?
It depends. The way up is not always the way down and some ways need very little brakes.
And some - don't descend.
Old 03-08-18, 03:53 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You know guys, this thread could easily devolve into rim versus disc brake thread.

My stance:
Mountain riding...what the OP asked about...disc brakes. (I know many will disagree)

Flat land riding, small hills and rollers...rim brakes (what I ride and prefer if not in the mountains)

Even though pros routinely descent the Alps in the wet at high speeds on rim brakes, doesn't mean average Joe can handle it...or as safely. Disc brakes in the mountains to me makes sense.

In other words, horses for courses.

OP, likely any name brand carbon wheel with rotors is going to be fine...any of the name brand players.

Most important thing for climbing is, build the lowest overall bike weight you can and yes, wheel weight contributes to that and lower weight wheels generally cost more...disc or rim brake.
Old 03-08-18, 12:57 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
The OP asked for recommendations for a disk brake climbing wheel.

I think that probably disqualifies rim brake wheels. Also, handlebars, seatposts, and bottom brackets.

Reading Is Fundamental!
Old 03-08-18, 01:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Old 03-08-18, 08:32 PM
RedBullFiXX

Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Best climbing wheels:
  • Carbon (ditto)
  • Rim brakes (ditto)

Worst climbing wheels:
  • Clinchers or tubeless
  • Alu
  • Disc compatible
  • High profile/aero

You sure you're watching 2018 Paris-Nice ?
There are disc bikes there from Specialized, and Trek
Look closer...
Old 03-09-18, 11:58 PM
Dave Mayer

Liked 493 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
You sure you're watching 2018 Paris-Nice ?
There are disc bikes there from Specialized, and Trek
Look closer...
I have spent many hours watching the race; all stages. No disks. The promo or 'trade show' bikes targeted at dentists may have disks, but not the actual race bikes.

Perhaps the riders with discs have already been shelled off of the back and missed the time cuts; given that disks are a big performance penalty.
Old 03-10-18, 03:13 AM
Dean V

Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have spent many hours watching the race; all stages. No disks. The promo or 'trade show' bikes targeted at dentists may have disks, but not the actual race bikes.

Perhaps the riders with discs have already been shelled off of the back and missed the time cuts; given that disks are a big performance penalty.
They can get a disc bike down to the UCI weight limit. They can make them as aero as a rim brake bike.
So what is the big performance penalty?
Old 03-10-18, 04:30 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Inevitably discussion would go back to disc versus rim brake...latter we all grew up riding and somehow survived...so a few words in this regard in an evenhanded attempt to discuss why individual camps can't see the other point of view.

You made the dentist comment about disc related to dentists and not directed toward actual race bikes. True. Will see what 2018 brings and of course many of us interested in the sport of cycling saw the female pro Cx rider with a groove in her knee.

So maybe a bit of separation is in order on the subject. Will preface and say 'on road' all I ride is rim brakes and have no desire for disc...but 'only' because of where I live which is flat.

Discussion has wrought, I believe it is very wrong to extrapolate what pros ride when it comes to 'us mortal bike riders'. A false comparison really.

If you think about it, most amateurs ride differently than pros. Lets say you live on a large hill or on a mountain...or you ride all the time in the wet. How do pros ride? Letting the bike run. They race on dedicated race courses including in the mountains. They get paid to 'not brake'. If they ride their brakes down the mountain, they lose the race. How do amateurs ride when out on the mountain along with cars and everything else encountered on a road that hasn't been closed for racing? They sometimes ride their brakes down the mountain. Exactly the opposite of how pros ride. So pros compared to average cyclists out on their ride are opposites in many ways.

I know most feel either or about disc versus rim. I don't think many can step away from the lens they look through...their personal experience. But experience of different riders is broad. Average cyclist like me doesn't really relate to how pros ride. Our priorities are different. I am sure if I am descending the Alps along with cars, I maybe riding the brakes a fair amount. For this kind of riding, I really want disc brakes on my road bike. Again, I own only rim brake bikes because for the few small hills I encounter, they work fine. But big hills and mountains are completely different and to me require better braking....even though pros survive just fine on closed race courses letting their bikes run down the mountain with minimal braking on rim brakes.

The issue of weight difference, aerodynamics etc...this line is becoming more blurred with each year...becoming less important.

But...there is a real cost difference. For those that want big braking on big descents however, this will be money well spent IMO. Worth it.

The issue of getting hurt in races by spinning rotors also have little relevance to a dentist or architect or average Joe that wants a disc brake bike and stronger braking. We just don't get in pile ups like pros racing for the glory like they do. So this issue is real and so far hasn't been addressed satisfactorily IMO for pros. For average cyclists, I believe the chance of getting hurt by a spinning disc is extremely low. But not for pros. Sadly I predict if rotor guards don't come to the fore in the 2018 and beyond, I see this as a problem that won't go away in cycling until changes are made that yes, maybe contrary to added weight albeit fractionally and aerodynamics because a rotor guard will likely block more wind than no guard.

My advice and only a suggestion is...don't put down what the other guy likes whether you are in the disc or rim camp and the two camps are clearly divided. Like discrimination, some opinions are unfounded for sure. But much of the divide I believe portends to the environment we ride, whether we race or not, biases we bring from the past and even risk tolerance. Some guys/girls like to ride the brakes more than others...no different than driving an automobile. Again, for the type of riding I do, I see absolutely no reason for disc brakes. But if living in the mountains, I likely wouldn't own a rim brake bike. Horses for courses.

Last edited by Campag4life; 03-10-18 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 08:59 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I recently got a set of 2017 Enve 3.4 Discs. Sadly, they are the non-tubeless version (unlike the 2018s) but are fantastic wheels and I got them new from a shop at a clearance deal for $1,750. I feel that they are the best climbing wheels I have owned. I am not sure if shallower wheels will be faster overall but lighter wheels will help uphill as long as they are stiff enough. Without going tubular or extremely expensive light carbon wheels, I am not sure I could find better climbing wheels. The 2.2s would probably climb a bit lighter so there are those. I have to do a lot of descending too, so I thought the 3.4s would make up time on the downhills and flats.