Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GoPro-mounted front bike light recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 08:41 AM
kromozome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to get a long-lasting moderate to high powered front light for my bikes. I'd like to mount it on underside of my combined Wahoo / Go Pro K-Edge mounts. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 03-15-18, 09:25 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Liked 1,877 Times in 1,066 Posts
The Expelion 850 comes with a helmet mount. Remove the half that straps to the helmet and you have a go-pro light mount for your k-edge. It's exactly what I have on my commuter.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Expilion-Light-Helmet-Mount/dp/B00LXTOPNU&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjnn_nK0e7ZAhUC62MKHWFNCswQFggbMAA&usg=AOvVaw2SuoBNHPfVsMOB8HJ56idR
Old 03-15-18, 10:14 AM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I have a Cygolite Trion with what I think is a lousy mounting system. Went on Shapeways and found a GoPro mount from them. Solved my problem. I'd recommend finding the best light for you, then checking to see if anyone makes a GoPro mount adapter you can pick up.
Old 03-15-18, 10:26 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Light & Motion Urban 650 or brighter. The 650 runs around $55-60, and the GoPro adapter is $12-15. The Light & Motion lights are nice because they don't care if they're mounted "right side up" or not, and the amber side markers actually work.
Old 03-15-18, 10:43 AM
cretzloff

Bikes: Ridley Fenix AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the one I use and it has worked very well so far. Of course I got the adapter for niterider lights from kedge as well.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...0-5096-non-non

I will get a picture of my evening ride set up when I can and post here.
Old 03-15-18, 11:53 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Light & Motion 800. On sale for 65 bucks at CC.
Old 03-15-18, 02:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts
I'm with everyone else.

Light & Motion Urban series are excellent.
Old 03-15-18, 02:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
Ditto, Light & Motion. Been using an Urban 500 since November 2016. L&M Urbans are excellent values now that the prices have been reduced on older models.

No complaints. Well, one minor nit -- the mount's swiveling action loosened up after awhile. I use ponytail elastic bands to snug it up. Works fine and ponytail elastic bands are handy for all kinds of stuff.

I made a homemade hood for it from a white translucent plastic pill bottle, the soft stuff made from HDPE. Easy to cut with scissors and a craft knife. It snaps into the recessed ring behind the front of the light barrel. Black tape over the hood to shield my eyes. The hood helps avoid blinding oncoming cyclists and pedestrians, still has a strong central beam and wide peripheral beam. The white plastic glows like a light bulb at the sides so it enhances visibility even more than the built in amber side ports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180211_173724_sm.jpg (188.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-15-18, 02:48 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Bontrager Ion 800
Old 03-15-18, 09:09 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ditto, Light & Motion. Been using an Urban 500 since November 2016. L&M Urbans are excellent values now that the prices have been reduced on older models.

No complaints. Well, one minor nit -- the mount's swiveling action loosened up after awhile. I use ponytail elastic bands to snug it up. Works fine and ponytail elastic bands are handy for all kinds of stuff.

I made a homemade hood for it from a white translucent plastic pill bottle, the soft stuff made from HDPE. Easy to cut with scissors and a craft knife. It snaps into the recessed ring behind the front of the light barrel. Black tape over the hood to shield my eyes. The hood helps avoid blinding oncoming cyclists and pedestrians, still has a strong central beam and wide peripheral beam. The white plastic glows like a light bulb at the sides so it enhances visibility even more than the built in amber side ports.

The mount with ball head on the stem -- are you using that for a front camera? I was looking into getting some kind of tripod head with quick release mount so I'm curious about the details of yours. Looks like a DIY solution cobbled from a small action camera tripod head?
Old 03-15-18, 10:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by atwl77
The mount with ball head on the stem -- are you using that for a front camera? I was looking into getting some kind of tripod head with quick release mount so I'm curious about the details of yours. Looks like a DIY solution cobbled from a small action camera tripod head?
It's one of the mounts included with the Ion Speed Pro camera. The kit includes two or three of those quick release shoes that have been very secure in use on almost every ride for a year and a half. The other main mount is a big suction cup, mostly for use on cars, although I've rigged it to my rear rack with Velcro straps and zip ties.

Unfortunately the kit didn't include a helmet mount. But I've seen it and it sits too high on a ball head. I rigged up a homebrewed helmet mount using a quick release shoe Velcro'd and zip tied through the vents. It sits closer to the helmet. Aiming isn't critical since the Ion Speed Pro has an ultra-wide angle lens.

The blue masking tape is just a shim to keep the camera from rattling around. Works fine.
Old 03-16-18, 02:09 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It's one of the mounts included with the Ion Speed Pro camera. The kit includes two or three of those quick release shoes that have been very secure in use on almost every ride for a year and a half. The other main mount is a big suction cup, mostly for use on cars, although I've rigged it to my rear rack with Velcro straps and zip ties.

Unfortunately the kit didn't include a helmet mount. But I've seen it and it sits too high on a ball head. I rigged up a homebrewed helmet mount using a quick release shoe Velcro'd and zip tied through the vents. It sits closer to the helmet. Aiming isn't critical since the Ion Speed Pro has an ultra-wide angle lens.

The blue masking tape is just a shim to keep the camera from rattling around. Works fine.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-16-18, 07:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

BTW, Polaroid licenses the same cameras and mounts from Ion. Different cosmetics, but you might find a Polaroid on sale cheaper than the Ion.

But the same mount would work with any camera with a compatible standard video camera base: threaded mount and stabilizer post hole. The Ion mount packs are available for sale separately.