Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Good deal found on sew up rims

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 10:15 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

Are there road tires 28mm or wider for these?

Talk me into getting them or out of getting them.

I know nothing except what I have read on Sheldon Brown.com
Old 04-02-18, 09:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,499 Times in 2,597 Posts
Was this an April Fool's post?

In order to patch a flat, you need to cut them open, and then sew them back up. If that's not enough to talk you out of them, I don't know what is.
Old 04-02-18, 09:31 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Good sew up tires are expensive, and the wider ones are more so. The people who love them, they really love them. The rest of us, not that I'm qualified to speak for everyone, well, we tend to think those who love them are just crazy.

Check out the "totally tubular" thread in C&V.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...y-tubular.html
Old 04-02-18, 09:34 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, they are strictly for professional racing use. Too much hassle for any casual usage.
Old 04-02-18, 09:45 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980

Since most roadies went to clinchers in the late 1970s/early 1980s, a lot of perfectly-good tubular wheels went unused and that's probably why you are seeing "good deals" for them.

I imagine it's somewhat like buying an old Porsche -- the purchase price can be surprisingly low, but the costs and work to keep it running are what will get you. For those who like them, it will be worth it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-02-18, 10:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4876 Post(s)
Liked 4,042 Times in 2,621 Posts
I commuted on sewups for decades. Expensive, yes. But they had several real advantages. One - roadside flats. You could change a tire in 10 minutes or less in the dark, in the rain, in the snow, inebriated, tired or just having a really bad day. In places you really didn't want to be for very long. You could put the tire on any old which way, get on the bike and ride. It would get you home - every time.

I know lots here will contest what I just wrote. But if you use Tubasti cement exclusively; lots of it, and never clean the rims you end up with a very reliable wheel that holds tires well (until the temps get very hot) and has so much residual and not hard glue after you pull a tire off that the next goes on fast and sticks. (Yes, take the first few corners carefully.)

Other pluses - sewups work on damaged rims. I've dropped into bottomless potholes (hidden in puddles) and dented rims in more than an inch and ridden home on that square wheel with no issues (save the thump!, thump! ride). Well glued sewups never come off, even after massive blowouts. And, as long as you have enough tires, you always can do ridable road flat repairs. (The flats from poor workmanship in the repair or tire remount don't happen.)

All this said, sewups cost a lot. Riding them is a different lifestyle. Nearly all bikeshops will be of no use to you if you have tire issues. Repairs will take roughly an hour per, at home in excellent lighting and with a high level of patience. You are riding tires and wheels that are completely incompatible with everybody else's except: you can mount your sewup dry on a clincher wheel and get home.

A loose analogy might be getting a horse to replace your car, inspired by the fact that someone across town has put her prize horse up for sale to a good owner for $100. Yes, that is a bargain price. Yes, horses can do all sorts of things cars will never be able to do. But you probably should think long and hard before selling your car and buying that horse as a commuter.

Ben
Old 04-02-18, 10:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
A friend used a sealant on cheap sewups without removable valve cores.. he had a trick but it took time and restitching..

now you can just buy Tufo tubs which are also making a sealant.

used wheels with old hubs and sew up rims are probably offered on eBay..

28 and wider tubular tires are made for cyclocross racing...

Glued on they can be run low pressure without coming off the rim in corners, tubeless burping or pinch flatting your innertube.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-02-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-02-18, 12:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
I can tell you a secret. Tubular rims are always cheap, because people are always getting rid of them. You could probably also buy old tires that are about to blow for low prices.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-02-18, 01:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Nice fat tubulars will feel like you're rolling on a cloud. The ride will be transformative. And they don't pinch flat, so that's an advantage on potholed or broken pavement.

But: they're expensive compared to clinchers; a pain to mount; and you have to carry a can of sealant or an entire spare tire in case you flat.
Old 04-02-18, 04:50 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4377 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,645 Posts

If you have to ask, you probably don't want them.
Even people who love sew-ups -generally- don't put them on their commute bikes.
I sometimes ride my vintage bike with sew-ups in to work... but -generally- I want cheap and durable for that function.
Old 04-02-18, 04:58 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
I think I am gonna pass on the rims when I can buy damn good commuter-grade clinchers for $10 each.

Thanks all - was just wondering if there's a hidden world of sew-up bliss I am missing out on but it sounds like not - that said, I would consider them if I ever get around to building my SS CX bike like I want to do because of their lower-risk of pinch flats! But I am not going to buy weird rims for a bike I don't yet own.
Old 04-02-18, 05:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I commuted on sewups for decades.Expensive, yes. But they had several real advantages…

And, as long as you have enough tires, you always can do ridable road flat repairs. (The flats from poor workmanship in the repair or tire remount don't happen.)

All this said, sewups cost a lot. Riding them is a different lifestyle. Nearlyall bike shops will be of no use to you if you have tire issues. Repairs will take roughly an hour per, at home in excellent lighting and with a high level of patience. You are riding tires and wheels that are completely incompatiblewith everybody else's except: you can mount your sewup dry on a clincher wheel and get home.

A loose analogy might be getting a horse to replace your car, inspired by the fact that someone across town has put her prize horse up for sale to a goodowner for $100. Yes, that is a bargain price. Yes, horses can do all sorts ofthings cars will never be able to do. But you probably should think long and hard before selling your car and buying that horse as a commuter.

Ben
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Back in the 1970s' my then-girlfriend-now-wife and I wanted really good bikes so we bought Mercier racing bikes, though naively we wanted them for touring, and they came with sew-up tires…So we carried full self-supported loads on our various tours in Michigan and Ontario, without too much trouble.

When we did our cross-country honeymoon, we brought six spare tires. It seemed we would get a flat tire about every three days, just as the sticky glue-grime wore off our hands. Twice on the tour we had to ditch the bikes in a motel and hitchhike to a city to buy more tires (in Flagstaff, AZ and Pueblo, CO), losing two otherwise rest days, plus all the delays and time expended fixing flats.

We switched wheels soon after arriving in Boston.
BTW @79pmooney, you may recall we have both lived and cycled in Ann Arbor, MI and Boston.
Old 04-02-18, 05:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I think I am gonna pass on the rims when I can buy damn good commuter-grade clinchers for $10 each.

Thanks all - was just wondering if there's a hidden world of sew-up bliss I am missing out on but it sounds like not - that said, I would consider them if I ever get around to building my SS CX bike like I want to do because of their lower-risk of pinch flats! But I am not going to buy weird rims for a bike I don't yet own.
This is different, and a perfect reason to getting tubulars.
Old 04-02-18, 09:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
There is a world of bliss with tubulars. But it's mixed with a world of pain.

And maybe the bliss is a delusion because so much has already been invested that we convince ourselves that the ride is worth it all.

By the way, I pinch-flatted my tubulars a lot when I toured on them. They couldn't take the load.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-18, 09:51 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by noglider
By the way, I pinch-flatted my tubulars a lot when I toured on them. They couldn't take the load.
In fact, the term "snake bite" for a pinch flat was INVENTED by tubular tire users. They're maybe less prone to pinch flats than clinchers but they are not immune.

Pinch flats haven't really been a problem for me, but that's mostly because of the decent roads I ride on. If I lived in an area with lots of potholes and thorns and broken glass, I would not be putting a lot of miles on my sew-ups.
Old 04-03-18, 11:38 AM
caloso

No, you all are right. They're not pinch-flat-proof, but they are much less likely to do so, especially on an unloaded road bike.
Old 04-03-18, 01:22 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Was this an April Fool's post?

In order to patch a flat, you need to cut them open, and then sew them back up. If that's not enough to talk you out of them, I don't know what is.
Well, you carry a spare tire or two instead of just a tube and/or patchkit. And there is flat-sealer stuff you can spray into the tubes now. Both like slime to have punctures fix as they spin and also cans of stuff to spray in and seal the leak while reinflating.

Not to say that's not a huge logistical issue to deal with.
Old 04-03-18, 01:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Well, you carry a spare tire or two instead of just a tube and/or patchkit.
That's just on the road. Even at home, re-sewing a sewup is more hassle than I ever want to deal with. I remember my dad doing it, and how glad he was to switch to clinchers.
Old 04-03-18, 04:35 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Instead, try some high quality newer tires described as "open tubulars". They have almost the ride quality of tubulars, with a lot less hassle.
Old 04-03-18, 04:37 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
You can get out of the pinch-flat thing with a tubeless setup, which is another fiddly thing that might be worth it only if your inner engineer gets satisfied in keeping it rolling.
Old 04-06-18, 09:35 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
There are numerous advantages to sew-ups but virtually none of them apply to commuting...
Old 04-06-18, 10:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Instead, try some high quality newer tires described as "open tubulars". They have almost the ride quality of tubulars, with a lot less hassle.
That's a weird name. Really they're just 'deluxe clinchers'. The term 'clipless' is an unfortunate historical accident, why do the equivalent on purpose?
Old 04-06-18, 11:24 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's a weird name. Really they're just 'deluxe clinchers'.
Yeah, I hate that term - partly because it makes clinchers show up in search results for tubulars.
Old 04-06-18, 12:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18445 Post(s)
Liked 4,551 Times in 3,382 Posts
There is another class of tires, called "open tubulars". I can't tell if that is all hype, or if it is something actually different from clinchers.

But, some of the high end tubular tires also have corresponding high end open tubular tires that work on your clincher rims.

Also, don't forget the tubeless + sealants. Lots of options out there.
Old 04-06-18, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
yea , companies like Vittoria make both..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.