Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Set of Axle Spacers

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Set of Axle Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 07:11 AM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Set of Axle Spacers

I plan on doing Single Speed conversions in the future and would like to buy a set/kit of axle spacers with a range of sizes so I have whatever I need on-hand and don’t have to order one-offs and wait for them to arrive. Plus if I order a whole bunch of spacers at once, they will be cheaper. (theoritically). I see that Wheels Manufacturing sells a kit, but does anyone know of any other companies that sell sets of spacers at a good price?

Thanks
Old 04-15-18, 08:15 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 795 Times in 451 Posts
Axle spacers are simply steel washers. I buy mine at Lowe’s.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-15-18, 08:26 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Yep. I just use washers too. They have a bigger OD than axle spacers, which I prefer.
Old 04-15-18, 12:14 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
You can also take a look at McMaster Carr, since you are stateside, your shipping will be reasonable. Being in Canada myself, shipping really kills me.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded-spacers/=1cfcl4g
Here is a stainless steel 5mm thick spacer

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=1cfclm3
Some stainless steel washers, package of 50 pieces of 1.8-2.2mm thick spacers for $6.10.
Old 04-15-18, 10:39 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Or you could just go to a bike shop. Crazy idea, I know...
Old 04-16-18, 10:20 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,552 Times in 3,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Total blasphemy! A heartless soulless corporation that cannot fix your bike and makes more money at the top levels then will ever be needed by anyone is always the better way to go. Our poor millionaires and billionaires are so poor these days they can barely afford to pay their employees at all.

Pound Sign:Bikeshopsarecrooks Pound Sign: JeffBezosisJezus Pound Sign: Richaintgotnomoney
Old 04-16-18, 01:08 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Yeah, a bike shop is the best place to go for common hardware and fasteners.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-16-18, 01:12 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Total blasphemy! A heartless soulless corporation that cannot fix your bike and makes more money at the top levels then will ever be needed by anyone is always the better way to go. Our poor millionaires and billionaires are so poor these days they can barely afford to pay their employees at all.

Pound Sign:Bikeshopsarecrooks Pound Sign: JeffBezosisJezus Pound Sign: Richaintgotnomoney
I’ll bet your bike shop makes a lot of money selling axle spacers.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 04-16-18, 03:23 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

Pound Sign:Bikeshopsarecrooks
Old 04-16-18, 04:22 PM
Bandera
~>~

Liked 184 Times in 123 Posts
I recently helped to do a road bike FG conversion for a friend's son. On the list of parts I provided for him to buy along w/ the proper wheel, cog/chain: axle spacers. 120 to 126 in 5 minutes w/o slop or guesswork. Oddly enough all sourced from a single bike stuff vendor.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 04-16-18 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 10:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,552 Times in 3,049 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I’ll bet your bike shop makes a lot of money selling axle spacers.
Tons and tons...we are the axle spacer kings. We space axles like Donnie T sends out twitters

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Thanks!
Old 04-17-18, 10:24 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Yeah, a bike shop is the best place to go for common hardware and fasteners.
I'm just saying that if he had simply walked into to an actual bike shop like in the old days, he would already have a solution.
Old 04-17-18, 10:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
I see that Wheels Manufacturing sells a kit,
yes they do we get that stuff via LBS, here.. Wheels has Wholesale (By the Carton to distribution warehouses ), and Retail.

If you want to buy online , Then just do it. search engines are all about finding you places to spend your money.
Bing offers a few suggestions, and those sites list prices.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-17-18 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 04:33 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
I recently helped to do a road bike FG conversion for a friend's son. On the list of parts I provided for him to buy along w/ the proper wheel, cog/chain: axle spacers. 120 to 126 in 5 minutes w/o slop or guesswork. Oddly enough all sourced from a single bike stuff vendor.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Which axle spacers did you recommend he get? Something like a set of twenty 10-mm spacers?
Old 04-17-18, 04:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,600 Times in 1,593 Posts
If you really want to stick it to the man, you could always drill 10mm holes into some aluminum sheet, and then cut out around them to make the spacers.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-17-18, 05:01 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Hatchet
Which axle spacers did you recommend he get? Something like a set of twenty 10-mm spacers?
Uh, no.
1st measure your dropout spacing to see what is required, FG track style hubs are 120mm OLD.
Some road bikes w/ horizontal dropouts used for FG conversion are 120 also while many, like the one we just did, are 126 requiring one 3mm spacer under the axle locknut per side. Axle spacers are available in 1-5mm sizes along w/ the handy track axle lock nuts that fit the common Formula track style hubs available from fine purveyors of FG doo-dads. Axle length may not allow much, if at all, spacing and proper chain-line rules the day so the correct BB spindle, a straight rear triangle, parallel dropouts, the correct spacing and: Done. Or cold set to 120, one or the other....

For a modest "production" run of conversions a range of bit's n bobs should be on hand, buy from a secondary line of supply in break-pack quantities for consumables and be prepared to accurately cold set/align frames/dropouts.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 04-17-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 06:11 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Old 04-17-18, 07:22 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Uh, no.
1st measure your dropout spacing to see what is required, FG track style hubs are 120mm OLD.
Some road bikes w/ horizontal dropouts used for FG conversion are 120 also while many, like the one we just did, are 126 requiring one 3mm spacer under the axle locknut per side. Axle spacers are available in 1-5mm sizes along w/ the handy track axle lock nuts that fit the common Formula track style hubs available from fine purveyors of FG doo-dads. Axle length may not allow much, if at all, spacing and proper chain-line rules the day so the correct BB spindle, a straight rear triangle, parallel dropouts, the correct spacing and: Done. Or cold set to 120, one or the other....

For a modest "production" run of conversions a range of bit's n bobs should be on hand, buy from a secondary line of supply in break-pack quantities for consumables and be prepared to accurately cold set/align frames/dropouts.

-Bandera
Thanks, yes, I know how to measure dropout spacing, cold set a frame, align dropouts, calculate/adjust chain line, dish a wheel, etc.
I’ve always manged to get by with what I have on hand, but currently don't have a range of “bits and bobs”, but would like to get some and was wondering, in a general way, what would be a good range of spacers to have for future projects.
Old 04-17-18, 07:25 PM
Bandera
~>~

I’ve always manged to get by with what I have on hand, but currently don't have a range of “bits and bobs”, but would like to get some and was wondering, in a general way, what would be a good range of spacers to have for future projects.

Axle spacers are available in 1-5mm sizes along w/ the handy track axle lock nuts that fit the common Formula track style hubs available from fine purveyors of FG doo-dads.
Those, to start.

-Bandera