Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

My knees!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 10:36 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My knees!

So I have a throttle only mid drive ebike about 140 miles on it. the crank is extra wide to accommodate motor
and now my knee is killing me! I have no cartiledge in my patella and cycling is the best thing in the world for it.
it started hurting a week ago when I was running it as fast I could trying to keep up with traffic very fast spin-no cadence sensor and the next day swelling and stiffness. I have been keeping cadence normal but now my knee is locking up! has anyone experienced issues with assist causing knee pain or is it more likely I sprained my knee when I was being stupid?
Old 03-27-18, 10:48 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Liked 283 Times in 198 Posts
Doesn't your crank freewheel?

Anyway, I'm no doctor. Take a few days off.
Old 03-27-18, 10:51 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it freewheels, I'm hoping its just a sprain. I'm frustrated becuz the weather is finally decent enough to commute and now its on hold again possibly. I will be very upset if its the bike, 630 dollars wasted if its the bike
Old 03-27-18, 11:05 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If the bike's Q is too wide for you, this discomfort is just the start of a bad relationship that will not improve. Before you do more damage, look at other ebike options with better spacing.
Old 03-27-18, 11:20 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it is the issue it its a hub drive in my future, if I do buy another ebike
Old 03-27-18, 12:15 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Liked 283 Times in 198 Posts
How fast do you ride?
Old 03-27-18, 12:32 PM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
normy bike 12-15mph normally just depends
Old 03-28-18, 06:03 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I realized I didn't have my seat back far enough, that helped ALOT. Wore my knee brace this morning just in case but everything is much better with my but back a little bit
Old 03-28-18, 08:33 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quite a few people experience knee issues due to the wide and unbalanced spacing. There are a variety of possible solutions.

This is another thing the Luna bots don't warn people about.
Old 03-28-18, 06:49 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelson37
Quite a few people experience knee issues due to the wide and unbalanced spacing. There are a variety of possible solutions.

This is another thing the Luna bots don't warn people about.
Well golly, Conspiracy Guy, maybe "the Luna bots" didn't hurt their knees so the wide Q didn't pop up as a thing to mention. Sometimes you gotta have the problem to mention the problem.
Old 03-28-18, 07:04 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Liked 155 Times in 124 Posts
At least is wasn't your azz.
Old 03-29-18, 05:32 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
done about 68 miles this week, after I set me seat back a being careful to have good form my knees are doing much better. I'm almost entirely certain I sprained my knee last week and that was the biggest issue.One of the things I do like about my bike is the wide q-factor. on my regular bikes my feet are always hanging half off the pedal . with the wide cranks my feet fall comfortable right on the pedals for a change. I'm contemplating getting knee savers for my other bike to mimmick the stance
Old 03-30-18, 11:06 AM
HenryL
HenryL

Bikes: Raleigh Militus, Custom Steel road bike manufactured by Steve Willis of The Bike Stand, Raleigh Rush Hour. Windcheetah recumbent trike, Actionbent SWB recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knee problems are generally due to pushing too big a gear, or inappropriate bike fit. When you do pedal chose a lighter gear. Have someone at a bike shop who has a certification in fitting bikes take a look at you on your bike. It will be money well spent. Make it clear you want to be fit, not up sold to another bike unless of course you want another bike.
Old 04-01-18, 04:16 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Liked 200 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by HenryL
Knee problems are generally due to pushing too big a gear, or inappropriate bike fit. When you do pedal chose a lighter gear. Have someone at a bike shop who has a certification in fitting bikes take a look at you on your bike. It will be money well spent. Make it clear you want to be fit, not up sold to another bike unless of course you want another bike.
When you have no patella cartileage you are going to have knee pain. It is bone on bone and that is painful.
Old 04-01-18, 06:49 PM
dilkes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
When you have no patella cartileage you are going to have knee pain. It is bone on bone and that is painful.
Yes..I had total knee replacement on both knees in 2016 and it opens up a whole new world of activity.
Old 04-05-18, 10:12 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Usually bike helps my knee feel much better- I'm to young- I think- for a replacement- what I do notice is that my knees sprain super ease.. and running is a non starter any more
Old 04-05-18, 08:50 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by dilkes
Yes..I had total knee replacement on both knees in 2016 and it opens up a whole new world of activity.
Are you now able pedal without knee pain?
Old 04-05-18, 09:25 PM
dilkes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Are you now able pedal without knee pain?
Absolutely without pain.
Plus I am able to do a lot of other things I had problems with...walking a long distance, skating, shoveling snow (a mixed blessing!)

The technology and techniques they use these days are pretty impressive and with an aging population, it is becoming pretty much a routine procedure with a high success rate.
Old 04-06-18, 11:01 AM
profstack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps you were trying to do too much too soon, as I am prone to painfully do.
Old 04-06-18, 08:25 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by dilkes
Absolutely without pain.
Plus I am able to do a lot of other things I had problems with...walking a long distance, skating, shoveling snow (a mixed blessing!)

The technology and techniques they use these days are pretty impressive and with an aging population, it is becoming pretty much a routine procedure with a high success rate.
I get knee pain too. I have had both knees scoped and have mild arthritis. Right now though its not my limiting condition. I may have surgery in my future but will just have to see. I live in flat place so its too bad at this point. It is good to see that you can progress beyond this.
Old 04-11-18, 08:49 AM
TommyBar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always thought that there's nothing better than cycling for general legs and knee health..
Old 04-18-18, 03:03 PM
tegnamo

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Q-factor definitely screws people up if it's too wide. Some people are very sensitive, even professionals.

Typically, I've seen that 175mm (aka MTB spacing) is about as wide as you want to go in most cases.

Many eBikes that are mid-motor have poor q-factors. So yes a hub motor with BB torque sensor or something could offer the narrowest solution at this phase of eBike tech.

Sometimes you can get straight cranks that also bring the q-factor in a bit...but it might contact other parts of the bike then.
Old 05-03-18, 02:35 PM
2old

Liked 870 Times in 657 Posts
You are probably aware of this, but as a general rule if the knee pain is in front, your seat is too low, if in the back of your leg, too high. Also, haven't had a problem with the asymmetry of my BBS02 (right crank is about 15 mm farther from the right chainstay than the left from the lef)t, but I just purchased Lekkie cranks which resolve this.
Old 05-10-18, 03:40 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by profstack
Perhaps you were trying to do too much too soon, as I am prone to painfully do.
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Doesn't your crank freewheel?

Anyway, I'm no doctor. Take a few days off.
Insufficient data. Knees are one of the first things to go as we age. But it could be anything: diet, exercise, genetics, posture, poor circulation, stress/strains/incidents, etc.? Even a well-trained specials is going to need to know a whole lot more than the above.