Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Kilo WT Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 01:22 AM
Japanesebike209

Bikes: Sekai 1000 Royal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kilo WT Thoughts

Im about to decide on what bike to start saving up for next and Im just about sold on the Kilo WT in 49cm (my current road bike is a 50 cm frame). Can anybody give me thoughts on theirs and post pictures if they have the same bike in the same size. Ive read the sticky too. First post, Just made this account, sorry for making any mistakes.
Thank you.
Old 04-12-18, 05:59 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 795 Times in 451 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I own a Kilo WT in the 49cm size as shown in the following link:

https://m.imgur.com/pICoC6q

I bought it eight years ago for $440, and have set it up as a singlespeed road touring and general transport bike with large tires, fenders and a rear rack. The frame quality is very good and both the wheels and cranks are original. The frame geometry is the same as the Surly Steamroller. It now sells for $500 and is available in chrome at extra cost. I’m very happy with it, and would recommend it if you want this type of steel bike.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-12-18, 08:01 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Welcome to the forum. I own a Kilo WT in the 49cm size as shown in the following link:

https://m.imgur.com/pICoC6q

I bought it eight years ago for $440, and have set it up as a singlespeed road touring and general transport bike with large tires, fenders and a rear rack. The frame quality is very good and both the wheels and cranks are original. The frame geometry is the same as the Surly Steamroller. It now sells for $500 and is available in chrome at extra cost. I’m very happy with it, and would recommend it if you want this type of steel bike.
Once in the past, you mentioned something about the sloping top tube being only on the smaller models? Am I remembering that correctly? Can you confirm at what frame size they begin to have a level top tube?
Old 04-12-18, 11:28 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Once in the past, you mentioned something about the sloping top tube being only on the smaller models? Am I remembering that correctly? Can you confirm at what frame size they begin to have a level top tube?
That is correct. Only the smallest 49 cm frame size has a sloping top tube. All of the larger frame sizes starting at 53 cm have level (horizontal) top tubes.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-12-18, 11:41 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
That is correct. Only the smallest 49 cm frame size has a sloping top tube. All of the larger frame sizes starting at 53 cm have level (horizontal) top tubes.
Thank you for confirming. Good news for me too, because I prefer horizontal. My next build will start with that frame set and become a grocery bike.
Old 04-12-18, 12:22 PM
mihlbach

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts
The Kilo WT has been available for a long time and has not changed since its initial release. Since the release of the Kilo WT the whole gravel/adventure genre has developed, and there is now a multitude of available do-it-all bikes that are better suited for wide tires, riding in a diversity of terrains and conditions, and for hauling light loads.

The Kilo WT seems to have been left behind. Its frame angles are very 'trackish'....oddly steep and the short head tube combined with longish top tube and drop handlebars are not really suited to anything other than riding unencumbered on smooth pavement. For smaller sizes, the frame geometry combined with fat tires may result in extensive toe overlap. The dual pull brakes that come on the Kilo WT are less suitable to wide tires compared to disks or cantis, which virtually all other bikes with similar tire capabilities are equipped.

I like the look of the Kilo TT, and part-for-part, its a quality bike for the price. But, it just seems like it belongs on the Isle of Misfit Toys. I would explore other options
Old 04-12-18, 12:33 PM
mihlbach

Also, it does not appear that the WT comes equipped with tubeless ready rims. Tubeless ready rims in 2018 should come standard on any wide tire capable bike. Tubeless greatly enhances the performance and capabilities of wide tires.
It should not cost more to include tubeless ready rims, but again, it does not appear that this bike has been updated in a long time.
Old 04-18-18, 02:03 PM
chainwhip

Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Saw a great price for some 700 x 28 Thickslicks ( or 25, or 23).

I own a regular Kilo TT from BD.

Can anyone confirm if the 28's might fit it?

Thanks.

Old 04-18-18, 05:07 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 400 Times in 196 Posts
Given the inconsistency with tire clearance among Kilo TTs, no.
Old 04-18-18, 06:42 PM
chainwhip

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Given the inconsistency with tire clearance among Kilo TTs, no.
Thank you.
Old 04-19-18, 10:03 AM
Japanesebike209

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
The Kilo WT has been available for a long time and has not changed since its initial release. Since the release of the Kilo WT the whole gravel/adventure genre has developed, and there is now a multitude of available do-it-all bikes that are better suited for wide tires, riding in a diversity of terrains and conditions, and for hauling light loads.

The Kilo WT seems to have been left behind. Its frame angles are very 'trackish'....oddly steep and the short head tube combined with longish top tube and drop handlebars are not really suited to anything other than riding unencumbered on smooth pavement. For smaller sizes, the frame geometry combined with fat tires may result in extensive toe overlap. The dual pull brakes that come on the Kilo WT are less suitable to wide tires compared to disks or cantis, which virtually all other bikes with similar tire capabilities are equipped.

I like the look of the Kilo TT, and part-for-part, its a quality bike for the price. But, it just seems like it belongs on the Isle of Misfit Toys. I would explore other options
Are you talking about the TT or WT, and what other options would you explore? My budget is $400-$600
Old 04-19-18, 10:08 AM
Japanesebike209

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do prefer a horizontal top tube, Ive been looking at both the TT and WT. I dont know if this helps but I can ride my friend's 55cm Aventon Cordoba with no issues reaching up the top tube, my only problem was that his frame rode up my crotch just a little too much. My inseam is 30" I'm 5'6"
Old 04-19-18, 10:34 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Japanesebike209
I do prefer a horizontal top tube, Ive been looking at both the TT and WT. I dont know if this helps but I can ride my friend's 55cm Aventon Cordoba with no issues reaching up the top tube, my only problem was that his frame rode up my crotch just a little too much. My inseam is 30" I'm 5'6"
The 53cm Kilo WT has about the the same top tube length and standover height as the 55cm Aventon Cordoba, so they will fit the same. So you need to decide what is more important to you, either junk clearance or the aesthetic beauty of a horizontal top tube. Personally, I worry only about having the correct toptube length, and don’t straddle my bikes when I’m stopped.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 04-19-18, 12:57 PM
Japanesebike209

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 53cm Kilo WT has about the the same top tube length and standover height as the 55cm Aventon Cordoba, so they will fit the same. So you need to decide what is more important to you, either junk clearance or the aesthetic beauty of a horizontal top tube. Personally, I worry only about having the correct toptube length, and don’t straddle my bikes when I’m stopped.
Well, theres always trackstands too.. the sloping top tube doesnt bother me on the WT as much as it does the TT.
Old 04-19-18, 01:13 PM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by Japanesebike209
Are you talking about the TT or WT, and what other options would you explore? My budget is $400-$600
Sorry for the typo...my message was entirely in reference to the WT.
I honestly don't know of other options.....haven't looked into the FG/SS complete bike market for a while. There used to be a greater number of stock SS CX bikes in your price range, but I think these have largely been discontinued.

EDIT....Here's something in your price range. It may not be exactly what you want but is an example of more modern wide tire gravel/road bike in your price range. Its very different from the WT.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...SABEgJPqvD_BwE

Last edited by mihlbach; 04-19-18 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-19-18, 04:27 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip

Thanks.

I am running Gator's in 28's. They fit. This being said, I just switched to a better wheelset and I am having to wiggle them past the brake pads. I may have to open the brakes up, not sure yet. Still in the middle of the transition.
Old 04-23-18, 08:24 AM
Phyoomz

Bikes: '96 Trek 800, '10 Specialized Allez (Steel), '17 Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mihlbach
An ill-placed paint can falling from my garage shelf and onto my top tube (the joys of having a teenager, better my bike than my son's head tho) has unfortunately put an end to my beloved Kilo WT. Could you pls perhaps mention a few of the frames to which you were referring.

I'm inclined to just get another WT frame from bike island or something, but if there are better options...

I've been using it as a general grocery grabber/pizza transporter/short-distance commuting. Roads here are decent and I never gravel grinding (at least not yet).

Thanks!
Old 05-03-18, 07:44 PM
chainwhip

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I am running Gator's in 28's. They fit. This being said, I just switched to a better wheelset and I am having to wiggle them past the brake pads. I may have to open the brakes up, not sure yet. Still in the middle of the transition.
The 25mm ThickSlicks I bought ($25.00/pair, shipped from nashbar) clear the rear stays and brake bridge with room to spare. 28mm probably would work fine.

Front fork OTOH...
I initially thought the tire was contacting the underside of the fork crown, but instead, it's rubbing the underside of the stock Tektro front caliper brake arch.
Probably try a brake swap to see if the tires can be made to work.

Apologies to the OP for the off topic posts.
Old 05-05-18, 10:46 PM
chainwhip

Update: replaced the front brake with a Shimano 5800/105 caliper.
Plenty of rolling clearance now.
:0)
Old 05-14-18, 11:46 AM
mihlbach

https://wabicycles.com/collections/f...under-frameset
Old 05-28-18, 08:51 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Liked 326 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip

Thanks.

I had a 55cm Kilo and it fit 28c Specialized All Conditions on it with room to spare if that helps. Keep in mind,tires are like shoes,they dont all fit the same for the same size.