Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Big bike events for all level cyclist?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Big bike events for all level cyclist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 03:54 PM
Fastfingaz

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Liz33
Yes, yes, I know. Sorry. I dont see the revelance of your question to my question but if you insist... I'm riding total of 40 miles 4 times a week
to go to school (20 miles each way) and then 100 miles total on the weekend (50 miles each way) I do very little elevation, less than 300 ft on those roads. I haven't try yet to see how far I can atually go yet without bonking or feeling like I'm dying tired out there. These rides are very pleasant. I don't hurry myself either, I just ride on a steady pace. I really don't know yet what I can ride at the moment but I would consider myself still a beginner level. I ride an old hybrid bike from Target I got 10 years ago. I will invest in a nicer bike when I reach my desire weight of 110 lbs more or less. So now tell me what d you have in mind? Any awesome rides you know of? I don't mind if it's 3000 miles long and 12000 ft in elevation. When I find the ride that makes my heart excited I'll train for that one and even ifit takes me 5 years training I'll make it, so my level right now is not very important for me.
I see Liz my question was to get an idea of your ability today , to see if you were starting from day one or had some background in cycling in general, and I see that you do and you have to work up at your pace when you find the event you want to do, it was just my curiosity, as far as my riding ,,, I'm actually declining in miles , I'm trying to convert my road bikes to a more upright posture , no more clipping in and riding in baggy cycling shorts , no duatholons or tri's my long rides are about 60 miles and I do them at my pace,,, 17-19 mph,,,, but I see your goal and there fore I'm sure you'll achieve it,,,,,, good luck....
Old 04-19-18, 04:00 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hi. If I could, I would love to do Tour de France or Vuelta a Espaņa.
^You and me both.
Old 04-19-18, 04:25 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do very little elevation, less than 300 ft on those roads.
If you plan to do any type of major tour stages, you really should be doing plenty of elevation on your rides. Makes a huge difference when it comes to completing a stage like that.

I've seen guys do double centuries flat rides (200 miles) in 12 hours but had a super hard time completing a 20 mile 5000 ft climb up local mountain roads used in the Tour of California.
Old 04-19-18, 06:41 PM
Liz33

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
If you plan to do any type of major tour stages, you really should be doing plenty of elevation on your rides. Makes a huge difference when it comes to completing a stage like that.

I've seen guys do double centuries flat rides (200 miles) in 12 hours but had a super hard time completing a 20 mile 5000 ft climb up local mountain roads used in the Tour of California.
I agree. I do have plenty of high places around to start climbing but I want to weight 30 pounds less and have a nicer bike, I'm afraid my old target bike won't survive it!
Old 04-21-18, 04:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Yes, I don't mind if it's not a race. I just don't know how to find those events, I google with not much luck. So should I search the term "randonneuring events" then? Thanks
Some of my links may be out of date, but quite a few are still active.

Start here: Machka - Links

As for randonneuring-specific, this is probably one of the best places to start: Randonneur Links

Last edited by Machka; 04-21-18 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-21-18, 05:10 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Liked 476 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by L0n3Gr3yW0lf
Any events in the UK or South West UK?
There's the Great Weston Ride - https://www.greatwestonride.com/home - I've ridden it the last two years. It's a well-organized ride that, unlike a lot of sportives, is entered by cyclists with a ride range of abilities, on all sorts of bikes (the highlight for me in 2016 was being overtaken by a bloke wearing sandals with a dog in a bike trailer).

UKCE do a few rides in the South West - https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/ev...gion=SouthWest. I've ridden quite a few of their events; they're well organized but do tend to mainly attract "serious" road cyclists. My daughter did a couple of their rides with me last year on the shorter courses and was fine doing this.

Also there's the Dragon Ride in South Wales - I rode this last year and really enjoyed it. It's run by the same organization who run the TdF, so the organization's spot on, and it's a really good course. Dragon Ride L?Etape Wales by Le Tour de France - L'Etape. Highlight was being applauded in at the finish by Didi the Devil
Old 04-21-18, 06:28 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
https://talbotscyclery.com/articles/...vents-pg37.htm

https://thecyclinghouse.com/trip/cyc...ur-de-montana/

https://cnc.ncsports.org/fallcncride/
Touring Calendar | Florida Bicycle Association
Old 04-21-18, 08:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,338 Times in 2,433 Posts
Yes, I don't mind if it's not a race. I just don't know how to find those events, I google with not much luck. So should I search the term "randonneuring events" then? Thanks
Google "state bicycle tours". This site seems to be fairly comprehensive. Pick a state, go ride.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these kinds of rides. Too much "de France" and not enough "Tour". They pick the route and the destinations and you have to ride them. If a place like Ringing Rocks or the Chemical Heritage Museum or the Roebling Delaware and Hudson Suspension Bridge plus thousands of other sights aren't on the route, you can deviate off route to go see them.

And even if the routes include going past interesting places, you can't really stop because you have a long way to go before your day is ended.

"Bicycle touring" should be about the journey. Point A and point B shouldn't matter. What you find between A and B is the important bit.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-21-18, 10:37 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Liked 804 Times in 428 Posts
Hi. If I could, I would love to do Tour de France or Vuelta a Espaņa, and big events like that, but of course I'm in no position to race professionally like that or to belong to a nice team in that level.
Well, since you mentioned the TdF, and VaE...
Many years ago (mid 90s) when I was stationed in southern Spain, one year a friend and I drove up to southern France to watch a stage of the TdF. I don't know if they still do this...but the day before any given stage, the roads for the following day's stage/course were set up for public cyclists. I didn't look into it too much, so I don't know if it's something you have to register and pay for, or what. In our case, we were there to watch a mountaintop finish. We got there the day before and camped on the mountain near the finish area with thousands of other cycling fans. On the drive through the countryside, and up the mountain...all day long there were people arriving on their bikes. That might be something to look into. Someone above mentioned RAGBRAI. My brother did that a couple times and LOVED it. I've ridden the much shorter Hilly Hundrend in southern Indiana. That's fun.

Dan
Old 04-21-18, 11:05 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Since you are in multiple places, here's a web site you can start with, CAMM Events. Select "Find Events by State" on the top links bar and then select the state you want to ride in. This site has tons of rides listed with links to the actual ride website (if there is one). Lots of good rides listed for Florida.

Another good link for cycling events around the U.S. is Active.Com. Just select the category from the right and it will display all rides for that category throughout the U.S. You can also refine your search by state.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-21-18, 01:29 PM
Liz33

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you so much everyone!
Old 04-22-18, 10:52 AM
Swede1

Bikes: 2016 Ghost Panamao X3 Hybrid 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This one is in beautiful west MI, and has a range of distances. This got me in to bicycling and I am, just like you, using this as a carrot to train for the 80 mile distance this year.

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine 2018 Gran Fondo - Michigan State University College of Human Medicine 2017 Gran Fondo
Old 04-22-18, 10:56 AM
Swede1

Bikes: 2016 Ghost Panamao X3 Hybrid 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Swede1
This one is in beautiful west MI, and has a range of distances. This got me in to bicycling and I am, just like you, using this as a carrot to train for the 80 mile distance this year.

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine 2018 Gran Fondo - Michigan State University College of Human Medicine 2017 Gran Fondo
Oh and not to forget...I always wanted to this one: https://www.capetowncycletour.com/ca...-tour-history/

Cape Town... beautiful beautiful course.
Old 04-22-18, 11:29 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
There are plenty of rides around the world I am sure. Breathless Agony is a cool ride. A timed event. Mountain ride that I'm sure would rival a major tour stage. I did this ride and got a pretty cool finisher's jersey. Actually cool having the jersey as there are not that many out there and many of the ones you see are the same people who have completed the ride several times. 114 miles/ 12,000 ft of gain.
I just can't imagine that 30 or so miles to the top of the summit. What would you say the average grade would be on that stretch? Just curious, but what would be, say your, average speed for the ride?

Absolutely fascinates me.
Old 04-22-18, 05:44 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Swede1

If someone wants a large ride in the west part of Michigan, Holland 100 is less expensive and there's no 'suggested donation' on top of the registration fee.
Old 04-23-18, 07:49 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If someone wants a large ride in the west part of Michigan, Holland 100 is less expensive and there's no 'suggested donation' on top of the registration fee.
Not to sidetrack too much, how is that event? My wife has been wanting to go the past few years, the dates just never work out for us.
Old 04-23-18, 08:17 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Not to sidetrack too much, how is that event? My wife has been wanting to go the past few years, the dates just never work out for us.
I've done it a few times and enjoyed it. I don't like being on the road early enough to register and be on the road by 7:00, so I usually end up on a club ride locally instead. There is a pancake breakfast along the route, and there are sufficient goodies to keep you fueled during the ride, it's relatively flat - if I remember it's only something like 1200 feet of climbing in the 100 miles. Showers at the end. No party though; and it seems like a lot of folks expect a party.
Old 04-23-18, 09:08 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
No party though; and it seems like a lot of folks expect a party.
I expect a party

For me, the allure of such rides is the social atmosphere, if I want to go on a bike ride and not interact with anyone I'll just go somewhere on my own. I'm paying, in large part, to hang out and chat with like-minded folks and drink beer after the ride.
Old 04-24-18, 10:14 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
LBS here puts on an annual century ride, but you can ride different lengths. They have routes for 30 miles, 63 miles, and the full 102 miles with a few shortcuts like 75 or 80 miles or so if you're not feeling up to the full century. With different lengths they get a lot of participants in it all doing their own rides, so it's good for experienced, trained riders or those who aren't quite up to riding a full century.
Old 04-24-18, 12:49 PM
Slick Madone

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A pretty big event here is the "Hotter than Hell 100"

Hotter'N Hell