Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ah, crap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 09:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,009 Times in 2,340 Posts
Oh, you want pix, you say?

The full monty.

Ignore the bulge, focus on the decal. Velocals made a custom set for me.

Badges. Yeah we need some stinking badges. @rhm had these made for me. Shapeways.com will take your art, 3D print it in wax, then use the lost wax process to cast in the metal of your choice, brass in this instance.

The seat stays and original dropouts came out, I got these verticals from Mitch Pryor, and new seat stays from framebuilder.com. Internal wiring is for a seat stay mounted tail light.

Internal wiring from the front.

Some extra bits for fenders, pump pegs, and cantilevers

Last edited by gugie; 04-22-18 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-22-18, 09:54 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Liked 2,038 Times in 992 Posts
Beautiful frame! Lovely color and modern updates. We all look forward to seeing it on its wheels again!
Old 04-22-18, 10:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
UPDATE!

Tonite, with a lot of encouragement, I pulled the headset, re-faced the upper lug, and pressed the bits back together, carefully. After reinstalling the headset, it spins perfectly.

I'm gonna ride this frame.
Yay! I'm not a framebuilder, but there shouldn't be (that much) danger in riding this thing, right? The steerer and headset will hold the head tube together, and you can just keep an eye on the top tube. Maybe you could braze a fancy gusset between the top tube and head tube if you had reason to be concerned at some point.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-22-18, 10:16 PM
svt4cam4.6

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Masi Gran Criterium, Mondia Super, Schwinn Paramount P13, Specialized Crux, Kona Big Kahuna

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
[MENTION=381793]gugie[/MENTION], You should just saw the hanger off it and turn it into a fixie like I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
faux pro.jpg (121.0 KB, 322 views)
Old 04-23-18, 08:25 AM
steelbikeguy

Liked 3,498 Times in 1,621 Posts
Glad to see that the bike will be built up and get some use. It's too pretty to just sit around and get dusty.

Love the brass Reynolds "decals"! Very clever! Plus, they solve the issue of the original decals cracking and flaking off with the slightest provocation.

Also love the "Grander Sportier" top tube decals! Not only is it very truthful, but adds one more variation to the Gran Sport/Grand Sport(s) designation that occurred over the years. That should confuse at least a few Raleigh enthusiasts.

Steve in Peoria
Old 04-23-18, 08:50 AM
ApolloSoyuz1975

Bikes: Cannondale SR400 (3.0). Phat t00bs!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bulge or not... she looks great. Was half-wondering if a (determined!) mechanic could ream the head tube until it came loose from the brazed areas, then braze a new HT into place. Or remove fork, heat I/D of the HT w/ blowtorch, & quench with water/oil from a spray bottle to temper the bulged area? 🤔
Old 04-23-18, 09:01 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Liked 600 Times in 433 Posts
I think it would be easier to sawzall through the head tube, then torch it and slip off both lugs. At that point the TT bulge could be rolled out. Braze in a new HT and it's all better... Easy for me to say.

It's obvious a whole lot of work went into that bike. It's worth the full save IMO, though maybe not right now.
Old 04-23-18, 09:05 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by ApolloSoyuz1975
Bulge or not... she looks great. Was half-wondering if a (determined!) mechanic could ream the head tube until it came loose from the brazed areas, then braze a new HT into place. Or remove fork, heat I/D of the HT w/ blowtorch, & quench with water/oil from a spray bottle to temper the bulged area? 🤔
Your idea of reaming the head tube until I got down to brass would be the way to do it. But that's a lot of work, and then I'd have to send it back to the powder coater...I'm going to ride it as is.
Old 04-23-18, 09:20 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd ride it as is, as well. Not a safety issue, imo. And from an aesthetic POV it's pretty unnoticeable, too. I'd build it up and ride it.
Old 04-23-18, 09:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,641 Times in 1,534 Posts
With the head tube compressed, you've increased the head tube angle, so now the Sportier name is especially fitting.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-23-18, 10:30 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Liked 545 Times in 270 Posts
Good decision, riding is why these machines exist. Not reasonable to abandon it and someday, you will have some time on your hands and could do a fix. Or not. Don
Old 04-23-18, 10:50 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 4,901 Times in 1,834 Posts
So what's wrong with a few wrinkles? I got a few wrinkles ...

Old 04-23-18, 11:50 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by non-fixie
So what's wrong with a few wrinkles? I got a few wrinkles ...
That's it! Bike and rider are in alignment...
Old 04-23-18, 02:29 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Liked 2,101 Times in 1,152 Posts
My LBS who knows a bunch about these old bikes has straightened a bunch after front end crashes and he figures that crunched and straightened, the frame retains about 95% of its integrity/strength. My PX-10 has been modified like that. Yours has only been crunched one direction so I figure you got 97.5% left to abuse. Pretty fancy bike. Those lights will come in handy next year with a dark-thirty Heroic ride start.
Old 04-23-18, 06:39 PM
Chombi1 

Liked 864 Times in 565 Posts
Hopefully that head tube is not as soft as licorice like the one I had on the defective PSV I bought in 84 and you don't end up with a headset that will keep loosening and your headtube continuing to accordion on you......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-23-18, 06:41 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Hopefully that head tube is not as soft as licorice like the one I had on the defective PSV I bought in 84 and you don't end up with a headset that will keep loosening and your headtube continuing to accordion on you......
We shall see. Since I know about it I'll check often.
Old 04-24-18, 09:18 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Liked 317 Times in 125 Posts
Well, good on 'ya for completing the build and riding it. BUT, having observed the quality/detail of your other work, I suspect it will be a when, not an if, you replace that head tube. If it were mine, that bulge would be an "eye magnet".....I would not be able to look at the bike without focusing on the head tube.

Dean
Old 04-24-18, 09:38 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Dean51
Well, good on 'ya for completing the build and riding it. BUT, having observed the quality/detail of your other work, I suspect it will be a when, not an if, you replace that head tube. If it were mine, that bulge would be an "eye magnet".....I would not be able to look at the bike without focusing on the head tube.

Dean
My plan is to only ride it after drinking heavily. Won't notice is so much, or care for that matter.

Last edited by gugie; 04-24-18 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-24-18, 10:22 AM
Revracer

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur | Francesco Moser SL | 1984 Ross Utopian | St. Etienne 531 | 1981 Peugeot PK10 | 2015 Cannondale SuperSix | 2012 Felt F65X

Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
With the head tube compressed, you've increased the head tube angle, so now the Sportier name is especially fitting.
My thoughts exactly, I have a vintage French bike that had a slight bend in the downtube, straightened up the head tube angle to 76 degrees and it is a more fun ride IMO. Plus the bulge adds character matching the embossed / inflated brass Reynolds badges which are super cool!
Old 04-24-18, 10:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,641 Times in 1,534 Posts
I'm really kidding about the head angle. I doubt it's a significant difference, if any.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-24-18, 10:31 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,265 Times in 1,130 Posts
Many have expressed my thoughts so I won't repeat. I am curious about where the seam is on the HT.

Why?

Wondering if the seam was faulty and gave way. Though I would expect a split instead of a bulge. But then again, if it was a penetration issue, maybe part of the seam held to support a bulge deformation.
Old 04-24-18, 11:21 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm really kidding about the head angle. I doubt it's a significant difference, if any.
I'll measure as soon as I get it built up. I have another Gran(d) Sport(s) to compare to, I didn't measure this one prior to torch work as I didn't see a need to change the geometry.

Originally Posted by SJX426
Many have expressed my thoughts so I won't repeat. I am curious about where the seam is on the HT.

Why?

Wondering if the seam was faulty and gave way. Though I would expect a split instead of a bulge. But then again, if it was a penetration issue, maybe part of the seam held to support a bulge deformation.
The seam is on the "back side" where the bulge is. It may be coincidental. Outside of deflection where it's bulged, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, like a cracked seam, rust, etc. I could take a hacksaw, cut up the head tube, make x-sections, polish, and have it sent out for analysis, check the grain structure and phase, do hardness testing, etc. But why? I'd just be giving a defunct manufacturing process some QC information to feed back to their non-existant production line. Ghosts in the machine, one might say in an imperfect analogy.

The techniques used today by most modern framebuilders with modern equipment are a big improvement from those used "back in the day". Most builders use silver filler for lugs now, so tubes just don't get heated up that hot. The couple of bucks savings from using a seamed, carbon steel tube for a head tube don't make sense anymore when even the least expensive production lugged frames start around a grand or so.

As is often said, we stand on the shoulders of giants.
Old 04-24-18, 07:33 PM
solidtyres

Bikes: YES

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If I were in your situation, I would likely do a Jackson Pollack paint job on the head tube, then basically forget about it.
Old 04-25-18, 08:03 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well one positive thing that came out of this mishap is that it's an educational situation for some - I never knew this could happen. Also didnt know frame builders BITD saved money by using seamed HTs. Seems like a poor way to save a small amount of money.
Old 04-25-18, 08:19 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Liked 865 Times in 274 Posts
Glad to see it’s being saved, looks like you have quite a bit of work in it already and some interesting plans for the build. Still, I can imagine that sinking feeling in the gut when you realize something is not as it should be...I think most of us can relate to that. Kudos on pushing through!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.