Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2018 Post Your Fixed Gear / Singlespeed Megathread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2018 Post Your Fixed Gear / Singlespeed Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 08:26 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
New bars on the Trek. . . .

Trek 420 Fixie New Bars by John Mortensen, on Flickr

Trek 420 New Bars 2 by John Mortensen, on Flickr
Old 04-24-18, 09:41 PM
coffinjewel

Bikes: Wheeler custom fixed gear

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
ceelint wow that wabi is great, super clean!
Old 04-25-18, 02:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
15.9 lb as pictured.

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2018-...z-custom-37179

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-25-18 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 03:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked 3,295 Times in 1,728 Posts
very nice Mr. Tim H.!!!!

Enjoy those tires - they're fast. I use them on my my race bike with latex tubes and I'm still not used to how soft and supple they are; feels like I have a flat!
Old 04-25-18, 04:19 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks nice Tim! But it needs black cranks now
Old 04-26-18, 12:30 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 51 Posts

My fixed Huffy Nel Lusso. I built the wheels out of trash from the backyard during downtime at the shop I used to work at, then put them on a cruiser frame rotting in the overgrowth behind my house. The original one-piece crank developed scary chainring play within five minutes, so a few months later I converted it to three-piece. It took on a life of its own from there. At this point I've replaced every part on the frame, mostly components salvaged from other junkers or repairs. The latest change is the tires, 26x2.3" folding bead DTH's which I did buy new. Currently on the lookout for some black handlebars.

I'm proud of the Brooks, a friend gave it to me totally mangled and I managed to oil, bend, and tension it back to rideability. Other details are the nice little bell, luxurious polished and knurled oversize valve caps, and wheel light with dead batteries. I love riding this bike, it's extremely comfortable and just... cruises. Now I wish I had bothered to use stainless spokes rather than galvanized in the rear wheel
Old 04-27-18, 05:30 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Originally Posted by TMonk
very nice Mr. Tim H.!!!!

Enjoy those tires - they're fast. I use them on my my race bike with latex tubes and I'm still not used to how soft and supple they are; feels like I have a flat!

Very nysss! Are those Vittoria's G+ Graphite tires? I'm about to use the last of my stock of my go-to rubber and was thinking of trying something different for a change. Noticed them awhile back and they are #1 on my list of possibilities...
Old 04-27-18, 08:53 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
eeuuugh, your bike is kinda ugly, but also kinda awesome. The last 2 rides posted here are at opposite ends of the spectrum and each very cool in its own way. Most of us cannot afford a bike like Tim's custom Rodriguez. For those who can, what a beautiful, fast, lightweight machine! Your Huffy on the other hand, though almost free, is no doubt heavy as a boat anchor and quite slow. If it's comfortable and fun to ride, those qualities are worth a lot. (Easy to carry lots of stuff too, no?)
Old 04-27-18, 02:47 PM
cambiker71

Bikes: lots, new old and in between!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
My first single speed built from an ancient mountain bike...

Old 04-27-18, 05:19 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 51 Posts
Thanks @Broctoon I appreciate the "kinda awesome" ! The bike is definitely still a cruiser... slow and comfortable. I ride slower on a fixed gear anyway for safety's sake, so why gild the lily? I wouldn't call it heavy though, it's much lighter than it started out.
Old 04-27-18, 11:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,119 Times in 2,750 Posts
@TimothyH
Damnit almost how I was planning to build my next fixed gear which is probably also going to be a Rod. Luckily I was planning black cranks and my wheels are 3x.
'
Those Corsa G+ are excellent, I wish I had found them sooner. I was never a Vittoria person but I started running Challenge open tubulars and then started hearing about graphene and was like OK let's do it and now I am hooked!
Old 04-28-18, 07:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by veganbikes
@TimothyH
Damnit almost how I was planning to build my next fixed gear which is probably also going to be a Rod. Luckily I was planning black cranks and my wheels are 3x.
'
Those Corsa G+ are excellent, I wish I had found them sooner. I was never a Vittoria person but I started running Challenge open tubulars and then started hearing about graphene and was like OK let's do it and now I am hooked!
The Rubino G+ Speed is super fast rolling, extremely supple and forgiving. I have absolute confidence when I ride these. They wear very fast though and if you skid they will wear out in that spot and die early.

I'm still playing with the pressure on the Corsa G+ and not really an apples to apples comparison (road bike vs fixed gear, 1300 gram wheels vs 1600 gram) but I think I might like the Rubino G+ Speed better than the Corsa G+. Price is comparable If you shop around.

I'm wondering about the Corsa G+ Speed but $80/tire is too much for a short lived consumable.

-Tim-
Old 04-28-18, 09:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

The Rubino G+ Speed is super fast rolling, extremely supple and forgiving. I have absolute confidence when I ride these. They wear very fast though and if you skid they will wear out in that spot and die early.

I'm still playing with the pressure on the Corsa G+ and not really an apples to apples comparison (road bike vs fixed gear, 1300 gram wheels vs 1600 gram) but I think I might like the Rubino G+ Speed better than the Corsa G+. Price is comparable If you shop around.

I'm wondering about the Corsa G+ Speed but $80/tire is too much for a short lived consumable.

-Tim-
If you are skidding tires like that you should be banned from bikes. Do it on those hideous Thickslick abominations not a nice tire, people!!!!!! I will have to try those Rubinos but I like the Corsa name better.
Old 04-29-18, 07:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you are skidding tires like that you should be banned from bikes. Do it on those hideous Thickslick abominations not a nice tire, people!!!!!! I will have to try those Rubinos but I like the Corsa name better.
No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean fixie skid stops or anything like that. LoL.

I mean threshold braking and you just happen to lock up a rear wheel. You know, just riding hard and braking hard and happen to squeeze the lever a touch too much and the rear locks a bit. It happens if you ride hard. Or someone pulls out in front of you or a dog runs out or something. The tire will flat spot and then the flat spot will wear exponentially faster than the rest of the tire.

Something about the graphene - it just deteriorates very quickly after it gets abraded.
Old 04-29-18, 07:15 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Slammed my stem today

was feeling brave and slammed the stem on my fixed gear bike.
Old 04-30-18, 10:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean fixie skid stops or anything like that. LoL.

I mean threshold braking and you just happen to lock up a rear wheel. You know, just riding hard and braking hard and happen to squeeze the lever a touch too much and the rear locks a bit. It happens if you ride hard. Or someone pulls out in front of you or a dog runs out or something. The tire will flat spot and then the flat spot will wear exponentially faster than the rest of the tire.

Something about the graphene - it just deteriorates very quickly after it gets abraded.
Gotcha. I figured you weren't doing skidzzzzz.
Old 04-30-18, 11:34 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
This is really good to know. I have some graphine tires on one of my rides and I love them. Better take care of them and no shenanigans.
It's really hard to roll past a big patch of leaves though😃
Old 05-02-18, 11:21 AM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
By jove, he did it. Welcome to the rest of your life - you've arrived.
Old 05-05-18, 07:28 PM
coffinjewel

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I'm thinking about putting risers on this bc it's super unpleasant after about the 5km mark and the drops seem way too deep for me, a shorter stem might help this one seems way too long. for now though I put on some profile design tape to keep the vibrations off my hands bc the old stitched leather socks weren't doing anything for me lol. side note, does anyone know where to find those BMX grips with the stars all over them?
Old 05-05-18, 08:00 PM
phobus

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by coffinjewel
I'm thinking about putting risers on this bc it's super unpleasant after about the 5km mark and the drops seem way too deep for me, a shorter stem might help this one seems way too long.
Those bars are super deep. If I were you, I'd first look at either a shallow classic bend or a compact drop bar. A shorter reach and shallower drop should do a lot to make the drops usable. Although that is a pretty long stem, and that's not helping you either.
Old 05-05-18, 08:32 PM
coffinjewel

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
Those bars are super deep. If I were you, I'd first look at either a shallow classic bend or a compact drop bar. A shorter reach and shallower drop should do a lot to make the drops usable. Although that is a pretty long stem, and that's not helping you either.
Thanks for the advice! yeah I bought it this way and I just haven't had time to get it fitted to myself yet but the stem seems enormous, I think it was way too small for the previous owner hence the way it's set up now.
Old 05-05-18, 10:23 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Yeah those drops are ridiculous. Are these the grips you mean? https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...ity-star-grips
Old 05-06-18, 07:30 AM
coffinjewel

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Yup those are the ones I meant, I've been trying to find somewhere that wasn't sold out of them thank you. I thought they would be the perfect finishing touch or possibly a touch too much for a frame also covered in stars
Old 05-08-18, 11:04 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
black wabi
Old 05-08-18, 11:42 AM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike. How long is the head tube and effective tup tube?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.