Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Newbie from MN

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 03:18 PM
Nate1991

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie from MN

Hey I'm Nate new to the forum. Started commuting by bike 3 miles train ride 3 miles last summer, and starting back up again for this year. I currently ride a Schwinn Ranger my parents had laying around, which is less than ideal for commuting being a 40lb Mountain Bike. Which is why i'm here on this forum looking for ideas and knowledge on a bike that's a better fit for me, and to hopefully get more into biking as well. Tried posting a buying advice post in the Hybrid area, but it hasn't popped up yet.
Old 04-30-18, 10:05 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums !
Check out the various sub-forums.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-30-18, 03:00 PM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Will do, having issues with posts being "moderator reviewed" otherwise I'm liking it.
Old 05-01-18, 09:55 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nate, a 40 lb mtn bike isn't so bad. I guess it has knobby tires on it? I'd change them to road tires of the same size. The best reason to use a mtn bike on the road is potholes and curbs, you can take a lot more hits with one. Weight is the biggest minus.

Welcome to the forum
Old 05-01-18, 11:23 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Liked 1,413 Times in 904 Posts
Hi Nate! Posts needing to be "moderator reviewed" is just for the first couple of posts. Should be easier after that.

Welcome!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-01-18, 12:15 PM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jack002
Nate, a 40 lb mtn bike isn't so bad. I guess it has knobby tires on it? I'd change them to road tires of the same size. The best reason to use a mtn bike on the road is potholes and curbs, you can take a lot more hits with one. Weight is the biggest minus.

Welcome to the forum
Yeah I know it can take a hit, but it's definitely in a condition that needs to be gone through. Doesn't shift smooth and I'm looking for a little more speed, so instead of putting money into it I'm going to start with something a little nicer since the bike isn't mine. Was more of a way to test if the commuting would work without spending the money up front for a bike. Really leaning towards a Roam 2 the more I've been doing research. Just need to do a test drive.

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Hi Nate! Posts needing to be "moderator reviewed" is just for the first couple of posts. Should be easier after that.

Welcome!
That's good to know, Thanks!