Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clipless Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 08:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18537 Post(s)
Liked 15,901 Times in 7,466 Posts
Originally Posted by MePoocho

Sorry if I'm resurrecting a tired old subject. If so just point me to the thread.

Thanks
Use the Advanced Search function. Search for keyword "Clipless" in thread titles only. Result will yield countless threads, including this most recent one:

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...ss-pedals.html
Old 05-08-18, 08:57 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
If you go with mountain bike SPD pedals you should consider Shimano multi-release cleats. You virtually can't fall down on these because you can release them by pulling in any direction, unlike other clips and cleats that require you to release by twisting your shoe by a certain angle.. I never had any issues with them accidentally unclipping.
I agree. These are the silver colored cleats. I use them on all my cycling shoes and they have just the right about of foot retention with an easy release.
Old 05-08-18, 11:18 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MePoocho
I did a 'search' for info on clipless pedals in 'Posts & Threads'. I was hoping to find a bunch of 'Pros and Cons', but I didn't find much. So,,, being tired of the daily hunt for the sweet spot on my pedals what are the thoughts for going clipless?

Sorry if I'm resurrecting a tired old subject. If so just point me to the thread.

Thanks
As with just about anything 'round here, there is little consensus.
I've ridden clipless for years. Whenever I ride one of my bikes with platform pedals it just feels weird, less secure, I dunno. Like driving a car without a seat belt, just not quite right. I don't think there's a big advantage for power or efficiency for me at the level I ride at.

I ride and absolutely recommend Speedplay pedals. So easy to clip out of, and you don't really clip in at all, you just pedal and it locks in.
Old 05-08-18, 01:06 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Started off using clipless. Shimano mountain spd's, speedplay (road), crank brothers, time atac's. 2 bike fittings. 2 or 3 different pairs of shoes. Several different sole inserts.

I read about Five Ten shoes being regular flat shoes with a specific rubber compound that grips flat pedals with pins strongly and gave them a try. They've made biking so much more enjoyable I've stopped using clipless completely.

General Convenience

With clipless I had to change shoes before a ride, bring an extra pair or shoes with me if I was riding to a destination to change into, then change back at the end of the ride, and remember to bring the shoes (an extra thing to remember) with me. Slick floors were an issue, walking around a significant distance was an issue, etc.

With five tens all that goes away. I change into shoes once and don't think about it again.

Comfort/Fatigue

Hotspots and numb feet were both problems I had with clipless, despite as I mentioned numerous fittings, shoes, pedal systems, etc.

With five tens my feet just stopped having hotspots and numbness.

Grip

Clipless gripped the pedal well.
So do five tens.
I used chrome shoes before the five tens and they did not grip the pedal as well. But five tens grip the pedal as strongly as clipless did for me except for pulling straight up.

I can see how clipless could be a more secure attachment system for racing when you're exhausted but all out sprinting for the finish line trying to work every last ounce of power out of your legs. But it's not an issue for the riding I'm doing.

Stability

With practice and double sided clipless pedals, it become almost automatic to clip in and out.
But it's still just more natural feeling with five ten flats. I dunno, it just makes riding more relaxing for me.

Power

There is a claim that racers are "pulling up" with clipless and producing more power, but studies that measured muscle activation using medical tools have debunked this. Pro racers unweight the pedal but they don't pull up. You can choose to pull up, but you're not using the most optimal movement pattern pro racers are using.

There is a claim that clipless is faster but that has also been mostly debunked by studies. Those studies are not perfect and often involve measuring the rider on an indoor bike, or on the flats. But there's no proof clipless is faster just conjecture.

Even if it was, most of my riding is for fun or as transportation. I know I'd lose time changing shoes with clipless.

Overall

I think clipless is way oversold, and most people who aren't racing would be happier with flats.There's so much less hassle after I stopped using clipless, and riding is just less work and more enjoyable for me.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 05-08-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 01:35 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 438 Posts
OP has same issue I had when I got tired of platforms: hunting for the right spot on the pedals. It's even worse and more annoying with platform pedals that have pins. I switched to SPD with Shimano M530s and use SH-56 cleats. Tipped over a couple times the first week of commuting but never all the way down and never accidentally unclipped even at the lowest tension. It's true clipless pedals probably aren't more efficient, but because pulling up activates different muscles while resting the normal pedaling ones, having clipless means you can make difficult climbs easier and get some recovery to boot. The only downside is extra hassle of having specific equipment, so the decision to go clipless is going to be personally weighing whether the benefits are worth the hassle. For me it's a no-brainer because the pedals are the primary engagement point for me when biking, so even a short couple blocks of not feeling like my foot is in the right place is enough to drive me mad.
Old 05-08-18, 02:12 PM
Gurge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. So there seems to be pros and cons to both. I use cages on my bike. But what is the advantage of clipless over clips? (It's really annoying to me the the clipless pefals are the ones with clips)

You ever say a word too many times and it sorta looses it's meaning to you for a moment?
Old 05-08-18, 02:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Toe clips:

A) they'll scuff up your nice shoes
B) to really work, clips need to be used with straps, to cinch your foot in good and tight
C) but to get your foot out at a light, you have to reach down, loosen the strap and wriggle your foot out, which is a pretty big PITA

That's why anyone old enough or retro enough to have ridden with actual clips and straps can't believe how easy clipless pedals are: Wow, all I have to do is kick my heel out a few degrees? What could be simpler?
Old 05-08-18, 03:02 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Pinned pedals are the bomb. I completely hated clipless, in particular the feeling of confinement and inability to walk normally with the shoes. VP VP-01's or Wellgo MG-1's are both fantastic options that I ride, and you get plenty of strength pulling on the back stroke. Feet are very securely planted on them.
Old 05-08-18, 03:17 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Taking the plunge. Ordered Shimano A530 pedals and some SPD sandals. My local bike co-op will install them for me for $5 - I don't have the right tools. If nothing else, I'll work different muscles. I'm also hoping to get just a little faster since I should produce a bit more power.
Old 05-08-18, 03:20 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddha2499
2. Stability: My feet have slipped off platform pedals before, usually when its wet. That hasn't happened a lot, but when attached to the pedals, it never happens. Even if my legs go in some direction they aren't supposed to, they remain on the pedals.

3. Power: You can generate A LOT of power by pulling UP on the crank arms with one foot while you're pushing down with the other. There's a whole large muscle group just waiting to help you up those hills.
2. If you're a male and have ever landed on the top tube of a bike, you can appreciate this reason.

3. Some people argue with this point, but I think they're mistaken. Lifting part or all of the weight of the leg coming up means more-to-all the power you put into the downward pedal stroke goes into propelling you forward. If you're into isometrics, you can push down on the upward-moving leg to keep your foot securely anchored, but that's not going to move you forward. It may not seem like much, but that little bit of relief on every pedal stroke over a long ride adds up.

Originally Posted by canklecat
But I'm using Look pedals and cleats with rigid shoes. Not great for walking off the bike. Sounds like wearing high heels with taps. Still, I prefer these to the more casual Shimano SPD type mountain bike shoes that are suitable for walking. Better support for my arches, which tend to go into painful spasms without the rigid soles.
You can get rigid mountain bike shoes, if sole rigidity is the only problem. I wore out a pair of Pearl Izumis that had a stiff shank, and I'm working on wearing out pairs #2 and #3 of Sidis. All of those are/were stiff enough to alleviate hot spots, and make walking easy. "Walking" includes into/out of work, the house, convenience stores, snack shops, rest stops, etc.
Old 05-08-18, 04:04 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Gurge
Ok. So there seems to be pros and cons to both. I use cages on my bike. But what is the advantage of clipless over clips? (It's really annoying to me the the clipless pefals are the ones with clips)

You ever say a word too many times and it sorta looses it's meaning to you for a moment?
Toe clips are way more dangerous than clipless. First, they are designed to be worn with straps, and old fashioned cleated shoes, which are basically obsolete and hard if not impossible to find. So you have people riding using toe clips with tennis or running shoes, which is less than optimal. And, a lot easier to release with clipless than it is with toe clips.
Old 05-08-18, 04:44 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buddha2499

I am running SPDs now and like them just fine. But I agree about the egg beaters. They were really easy to get in and out of, and quite strong despite looking spindly. If my SPDs ever broke (although they never will), I’ll go back to CB.
I've never tried the Egg Beaters. I use the cheapest Candies, Candy 1's which have the plastic body around what I assume is an Egg Beater spindle. In my mind they would be a little easier to clip in to because of the platform. I'm able to just place the toe of my shoes on the platform and slide it forward. The clip rotates when the front of the cleat hits the clip and it rotates until it's locked in ( I hope I'm explaining that adequately).

I've used several different SPD pedals from a 2 or 3 manufacturers and I had no issues getting clipped in or out of SPD's I do feel that the Crank Brothers is just easier. I used SPD-SL on my road bike for a season, I think I fumbled getting clipped into those every single time. My road shoes are vented in the soles and sides so when cold weather started I switched to my mountain shoes and Crank Brothers pedals. When spring came around I just couldn't go back to the SPD-SL's and now use the Candies both the bikes I ride clippless on.

I have a big wide set of flats on my MTB and wear a pair of 510 Freeriders with them. It's unreal how planted that combo feels but it was a pricey combination.
Old 05-08-18, 04:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,958 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
There is a claim that racers are "pulling up" with clipless and producing more power, but studies that measured muscle activation using medical tools have debunked this.
There are situations where "pulling up" is important, e.g. sprints and jamming up hills. I have literally torn the soles completely off my shoes pulling up in situations like that. That's why you can still find track riders strapping their shoes onto their clipless pedals.

N.B. that can't happen with toeclips, as the strap takes the load from pulling up, rather than the shoe.
Old 05-08-18, 11:55 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12907 Post(s)
Liked 7,833 Times in 4,163 Posts
I like SPDs. 520s are nice. Shoes with recessed cleat mounts are easy to walk in. I do desk jobs wearing SPDs all day. Walking/standing jobs, I'll change shoes when I get to work.
Old 05-09-18, 02:16 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I currently use these on my road bike while I decide whether or not to go full clipless.
Wiggle Zefal Half Toe-Clips 45 Flat Pedals
There were a few times my foot had slipped off the pedals when using flats so bought these as they were cheap and have to say I can't fault them! Holds my feet in position and are easy to get in and out of, making it a little harder for me to justify clipless.....
Old 05-09-18, 06:10 AM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
OP has same issue I had when I got tired of platforms: hunting for the right spot on the pedals. It's even worse and more annoying with platform pedals that have pins. I switched to SPD with Shimano M530s and use SH-56 cleats. For me it's a no-brainer because the pedals are the primary engagement point for me when biking, so even a short couple blocks of not feeling like my foot is in the right place is enough to drive me mad.
surak, I've been using 'INTEY' flats with the hex pins on the leading and trailing edges. My issue is the same as you state. I never seem to place my feet on the pedals the same way twice. And trying to re-position is difficult due to the aggressiveness of the hex pins. At least with the clipless pedals I'll always hit the spot I like on the pedals. I'm not looking for more power or better speed just ease of foot placement.

I guess that I'm to anal about where my feet are....... Thanks for the support.
Old 05-09-18, 08:35 AM
Gurge

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Toe clips are way more dangerous than clipless. First, they are designed to be worn with straps, and old fashioned cleated shoes, which are basically obsolete and hard if not impossible to find. So you have people riding using toe clips with tennis or running shoes, which is less than optimal. And, a lot easier to release with clipless than it is with toe clips.
I never thought anyone would try to use the toeclips without straps. The it's just a flimsy piece of plastic or metal with no purpose. But I have mine fairly tight and can easily kick my foot in and out if them and don't get any lift off the pedal on my upstrokes climbing. I mean I can see jammng your shoes into them may not be great for fancy/expensive shoes but I dont have anything fancy/expensive. And unless they were dress shoes I don't really see the issue either way.
Old 05-09-18, 08:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,290 Times in 2,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Gurge

Those "cages" you use on your bike have traditionally be called "toe clips". They may, or may not, have been used with shoes with cleats on the bottom of them. When shoes that engage the cleat on the shoes via a spring mechanism on the pedals, it would have been extremely confusing to talk about them as "clips" since that term was already being used. And, since the new pedals were made without "toe clips", they were deemed to be "clipless".

On the other hand, why "toe clips" were so named, I have no idea. They really should have been called "toe cages" but I suspect that people would have been afraid of the implications of that term.

As for advantages, the cleat on the shoe engages the pedal without all that fussiness of trying to flip over a toe clip. This is probably more of an advantage in mountain biking then in road riding since mountain bike pedals tend to be double sided. If you've ever tried to flip up a toe clip on steep trail, you can see this advantage immediately.

There is a bit of an advantage to using toe clips and cleats as well as clipless and cleats when pedaling as well. You can pull up pedals with both to toe clips and clipless to get more power for climbing hills or for acceleration. Most of the "flat pedals are all you need" folks will even admit that. When you need to pull up on the pedals, it's nice to have something that is readily available rather so toe clips and clipless have that advantage.

And, finally, there is something to be said for having a solid attachment (but not too solid) to the bike when riding at speed or over rough terrain. Bouncing off the pedals in the middle of a rock garden is probably going to hurt your dangly bits, your stickiouty bits (arms and legs) and your pride, in that order. Even if you do crash, you are less likely to break something important if you don't stick out the stickiouty in a vain effort "catch yourself". "Catching yourself" is about as useless as "bracing for impact". Neither is the correct approach to a crash.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-09-18, 12:03 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
For me the biggest against is worry about repetitive strain. Applying constant pressure to your feet and in the same exact location is great for efficiency but things like that are not so great for longterm joint health.
Most clipless systems come with some degree of float. So you can tailor it to your liking by playing with that. Also, a good fitter will be able to use cleat wedges to both angle the shoe and raise the shoe to take foot pronation, knee tracking and leg length discrepancies into account. Having said all that, your body is fairly remarkable at adapting to less than ideal positions. I recall watching a recent video of Emma Pooley getting a bike fit on the GCN channel. The fitter discovered that she has a leg length discrepancy of about 4mm. She rode professonally with that for years without knowing about it before she joined GCN. She won the TT world champs in the past, so I would assume that she wasn't "affected" that much by the less than ideal position.

Edit: Found the video.

Last edited by ptempel; 05-09-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-09-18, 12:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4864 Post(s)
Liked 4,012 Times in 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
For me the biggest against is worry about repetitive strain. Applying constant pressure to your feet and in the same exact location is great for efficiency but things like that are not so great for longterm joint health.
Do you have a source for that? Pedals with more restraint (toeclips, straps pulled tight and traditional slotted cleats have been used since 1895, often for the full cycling life of the rider with no apparent issues. (45 years and 150,000 miles to date for me plus another 20k on no-float clipless.)

Ben
Old 05-09-18, 12:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4864 Post(s)
Liked 4,012 Times in 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Toe clips:

B) to really work, clips need to be used with straps, to cinch your foot in good and tight
C) but to get your foot out at a light, you have to reach down, loosen the strap and wriggle your foot out, which is a pretty big PITA

That's why anyone old enough or retro enough to have ridden with actual clips and straps can't believe how easy clipless pedals are: Wow, all I have to do is kick my heel out a few degrees? What could be simpler?
Yes, all true. But there is one place where toeclips reign supreme. On fix gears ridden down serious hills. (Also on the velodrome for the really strong sprinters and kilo types) Times and places where you REALLY don't want to have your foot pull out. (A pull-out at 40 RPM on a 42-17 gear is a pullout oat 200 RPM where the pedal never stops. Ain't going to end well. And the longest lasting damage will probably be from that pedal with all of your weight and inertia behind it slamming into the back of your ankle, not the ensuing crash. And yes, periodically you will forget to release the buckle. But ... falling over at 0-3 mph pales compared to the above!

Ben
Old 05-09-18, 12:51 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
I rode clipless as a noobie when mountain biking, on scary, technical, steep singletrack. Never had a problem. I'll never go back, mountain or road.
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
I ride Time ATAC mountain pedals with mountain biking shoes on my road bike. So easy to clip in and out, buttery smooth. Nice and comfy for walking.
^^This^^ Same here on both accounts.
Old 05-09-18, 02:15 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 3,379 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Toe clips:

I must disagree.

A) steel clips do scuff the shoes. Plastic clips are less damaging to shoes. Probably a bit, but minimal.

B) Yep, cinch them up to feel right. Although, if one just wants the feet positioned on the pedals, half clips might be ok.

C) Nope... Without cleats, pretty much one pushes the feet down and they come out. With cleats, one twists the foot very much like with clipless, and they come out.

The big reason for pre-loosening the straps is it is slightly easier to get the feet out, but MUCH easier to get them back in with the straps loosened.
Old 05-09-18, 02:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 3,379 Posts
I've gone with SPD. I haven't tried Crank brothers, or other recessed clip brands, but do like the walkable shoes.

With SPD, both Shimano and Wellgo make good pedals.

I think the Wellgo pedals are slightly easier to adjust than Shimano. Shimano, however, are the easiest to disassemble and rebuild. Either work well.

XPEDO makes the lightest of the SPD compatable pedals, with the M-Force 8 pedals being a good double sided pedal, and the R-Force being a good single sided pedal. They do seem to be grippy, and sometimes I think they've grabbed the shoe in the wrong spot.

MKS EZY makes removable SPD pedals. It might be an option for some riders, and I think they've now migrated to full SPD compatible, although I haven't tried them myself. Wellgo may also have detachable pedals. In theory, with the MKS EZY, one could rapidly swap between pedal types, or even toeclips.
Old 05-09-18, 06:48 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12907 Post(s)
Liked 7,833 Times in 4,163 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I must disagree.

A) steel clips do scuff the shoes. Plastic clips are less damaging to shoes. Probably a bit, but minimal.
Any toeclips leave marks on shoes, IME.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.