Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Redux 1 or Roam 2 or fx2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 08:37 PM
Nate1991

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a new bike and looking for some help, I've searched around on the forums and can't quite find the answer. I currently commute to work 3 miles train ride 3 miles. I'm using an old Schwinn Ranger Mtb that we had laying around, it's not really ideal for the paved trails and roads or going fast for that matter. The trails are paved but a bit rough, not really upkept and the roads in areas I commute are a bit of a pothole haven at times. I'm a bit of a bigger guy 6'3 240lbs.

Through research I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes that I think will fit my needs
2017 Raleigh Redux 1 $499.99 - Seems to be a great fit for a commuter bike, nice price - how would a solid fork like this hold up off trail?
2018 Roam 2 $600 - I like the idea of the lockout shocks for having the ability to go a little more off trail riding and still have some comfort.
2018 Fx2 $560 - Is this worth spending the $60 more over the Raleigh?

I know it comes down to I should ride them and see which is more comfortable. I would like to stay under $600.
Being new to buying a quality bike is there anything I should be looking for?

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-18, 10:19 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having bought a Giant Roam 2 recently, I am obviously biased towards it. What I love about it is how comfy the ride is. Was it Specialized that said "smoother is faster"? I definitely agree with that. With the Roam I can ride comfortably and smoothly on rougher roads compared to an older FX 2 that I used to ride. The FX 2 I rode had 35mm tires, but I still had to get up off the saddle when encountering some rough sections on my ride. On my Roam 2, I can stay on the saddle and just pedal through. Of course it is still a good idea to lighten the bike when going riding through dips/potholes etc... but I feel like that is less of a concern when riding my Roam 2. The one issue you might have with it is that it is heavy. It does not feel heavy when you're riding it, but it feels heavy when you have to carry it. In that aspect, the FX 2 would have an advantage as it should be lighter to carry around.
Old 04-30-18, 11:04 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
So you're locking the bike at the train station? Is there a reason you can't ride the total six miles all the way to work? This is important because if I had to lock a bike at the station for the day and it was only a three mile ride there I'd use the crappiest bike I have, which in your case would be the Schwinn. Three miles can be done with a unicycle or tricycle, if need be. But if I were to ride six miles all the way to work and I had a more secure place to lock it up, or better yet, bring indoors, then I'd go with with ones without the suspension fork. It's unnecessary and unnecessarily heavy. Either of the other bikes will do fine on light trails.
Old 04-30-18, 11:07 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
The Raleigh is a 1x8 and Trek is 3x8. I like the 1x, in principle, as it makes things simpler, but in practice I'd go with the 3x8 for the versatility it provides.
Old 04-30-18, 12:41 PM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finch204
Having bought a Giant Roam 2 recently, I am obviously biased towards it. What I love about it is how comfy the ride is. Was it Specialized that said "smoother is faster"? I definitely agree with that. With the Roam I can ride comfortably and smoothly on rougher roads compared to an older FX 2 that I used to ride. The FX 2 I rode had 35mm tires, but I still had to get up off the saddle when encountering some rough sections on my ride. On my Roam 2, I can stay on the saddle and just pedal through. Of course it is still a good idea to lighten the bike when going riding through dips/potholes etc... but I feel like that is less of a concern when riding my Roam 2. The one issue you might have with it is that it is heavy. It does not feel heavy when you're riding it, but it feels heavy when you have to carry it. In that aspect, the FX 2 would have an advantage as it should be lighter to carry around.
Do you by any chance know how much the Roam 2 weighs? The Schwinn I currently ride weighs 40lbs and I lug that pig around.

Originally Posted by mcours2006
So you're locking the bike at the train station? Is there a reason you can't ride the total six miles all the way to work? This is important because if I had to lock a bike at the station for the day and it was only a three mile ride there I'd use the crappiest bike I have, which in your case would be the Schwinn. Three miles can be done with a unicycle or tricycle, if need be. But if I were to ride six miles all the way to work and I had a more secure place to lock it up, or better yet, bring indoors, then I'd go with with ones without the suspension fork. It's unnecessary and unnecessarily heavy. Either of the other bikes will do fine on light trails.
I actually bring the bike on the train with me, sorry if that wasn't clear. I bike 3 miles from my house take a train then bike another 3 to work. I do have a unicycle...haven't ridden in years and not sure my balls would care for me to do so haha
Old 04-30-18, 02:09 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Liked 768 Times in 573 Posts
I just bought a Roam 2 and test-rode the Escape 1 before purchase (with the rigid carbon fork). I didn't like it at all, the Escape. I took one spin around the parking lot and it just rode "odd" to me. I felt immediately at home and comfortable on the Roam, so I bought it. You can hydraulically lock the front shock out, and it works in practice. If the fork is extended all the way, and you turn the lock-out lever, there is NO movement in the fork...not really even any stanchion wiggle that I can tell. I almost always leave mine unlocked, though. I've tried to like bikes with rigid forks, and I even bought one (a Giant ARX) but I keep going back to bikes with front suspension (I returned the ARX and bought the Roam). Biking is just much more enjoyable to me with the added comfort. Every bike is WAY faster than I can pedal (sorry, but I just can't turn the 48-11 top gear on my Roam for very long), and speed is meaningless for my biking motivations anyway.

Buy what suits you the best. For commuting duty, I do like the idea of buying a beater to lock-up at the train station. I wouldn't ride a new $600 bike to the train station just to lock it up. Ride that old Schwinn the three miles to the train and lock that bike up.
Old 05-01-18, 12:30 PM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I just bought a Roam 2 and test-rode the Escape 1 before purchase (with the rigid carbon fork). I didn't like it at all, the Escape. I took one spin around the parking lot and it just rode "odd" to me. I felt immediately at home and comfortable on the Roam, so I bought it. You can hydraulically lock the front shock out, and it works in practice. If the fork is extended all the way, and you turn the lock-out lever, there is NO movement in the fork...not really even any stanchion wiggle that I can tell. I almost always leave mine unlocked, though. I've tried to like bikes with rigid forks, and I even bought one (a Giant ARX) but I keep going back to bikes with front suspension (I returned the ARX and bought the Roam). Biking is just much more enjoyable to me with the added comfort. Every bike is WAY faster than I can pedal (sorry, but I just can't turn the 48-11 top gear on my Roam for very long), and speed is meaningless for my biking motivations anyway.

Buy what suits you the best. For commuting duty, I do like the idea of buying a beater to lock-up at the train station. I wouldn't ride a new $600 bike to the train station just to lock it up. Ride that old Schwinn the three miles to the train and lock that bike up.
As I asked above to finch, about how much does the Roam 2 weigh? If I was locking the bike up I would continue with the Schwinn, but the bike comes with me. As I've now reread the original post that didn't come across clear.
Old 05-01-18, 02:15 PM
hokiefyd 

Oh, I see. I haven't weighed mine (and Giant doesn't offer a weight spec on their website), but it feels similar to my Trek Verve and my dad's Trek DS, so it's likely in the 30-32 pound range.
Old 05-01-18, 02:48 PM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotcha, that's a 8-lb decrease in weight for me along with better gearing, derailers, and less nobby tires. I probably wouldn't have any complaints as the weight of the Schwinn isn't the driving force behind wanting something different. I'm pretty sure a local shop has one in my size to take a look at, just need to find the time to go and test ride it. Plus I'm liking the charcoal/red combo for color on the Roam 2
Old 05-02-18, 09:55 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nate1991
Gotcha, that's a 8-lb decrease in weight for me along with better gearing, derailers, and less nobby tires. I probably wouldn't have any complaints as the weight of the Schwinn isn't the driving force behind wanting something different. I'm pretty sure a local shop has one in my size to take a look at, just need to find the time to go and test ride it. Plus I'm liking the charcoal/red combo for color on the Roam 2
Sorry I also do not know how much the Roam 2 weighs, but as stated by hokie, it should be comparable to a Trek DS. So yeah it should weigh less than 40lbs for sure. I bought my Roam 2 in the charcoal/red color combo and I love how it looks!
Old 05-06-18, 04:16 PM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I finally got around to test driving the Roam 2 and a bike at the shop that was very similar to an FX2. Would’ve been nice to try the FX2 exactly but I was pretty set on the Roam after trying it. Just had to try it for good measure.They had a rough path similar to what I’ll be riding on daily. The ridgid fork wasn’t terrible on the path, but I definitely felt the path. So I decided to buy the Roam 2. The weight difference is negligible, the comfort on the roam 2 is far nicer, the speed on them was similar sure when I stand the suspension fork absorbs some of my pedaling but with the gearing I wasn’t finding the need to stand. I pick the bike up on Tuesday can’t wait. Only wish is that I could get the Roam 3 green on the Roam 2.
Old 05-06-18, 05:15 PM
hokiefyd 

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Roam 2. Note that you can adjust the preload on the fork, and it's not something Giant advertises on their website. Pop the plastic tower cap off the LEFT side stanchion. There's a preload adjustment under that cap. I just leave my cap off, and I can play with the preload that way. I have only 25 miles on my new Roam, so I'm still playing with the preload adjustment.

I noticed during a test ride that the Specialized Crosstrail's fork has the same left side cap -- I wonder if there's a preload adjustment on that model as well.

roam09 by jnjadcock, on Flickr
Old 05-06-18, 06:20 PM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw that in another thread seems pretty interesting, not sure how much I will mess with it. But good to know there is some adjustability to it.
Old 05-08-18, 07:55 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I finally got around to test driving the Roam 2 and a bike at the shop that was very similar to an FX2. Would’ve been nice to try the FX2 exactly but I was pretty set on the Roam after trying it. Just had to try it for good measure.They had a rough path similar to what I’ll be riding on daily. The ridgid fork wasn’t terrible on the path, but I definitely felt the path. So I decided to buy the Roam 2. The weight difference is negligible, the comfort on the roam 2 is far nicer, the speed on them was similar sure when I stand the suspension fork absorbs some of my pedaling but with the gearing I wasn’t finding the need to stand. I pick the bike up on Tuesday can’t wait. Only wish is that I could get the Roam 3 green on the Roam 2.
Congrats on the new bike!
Old 05-08-18, 08:00 AM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Pick it up tonight. Too bad its supposed to rain all night and I can't go for a ride. Maybe tomorrow it'll be clear enough to ride.
Old 05-09-18, 07:15 AM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked my 2018 Giant Roam 2 up last night. Did a quick ride on it to test it out last night, and then jumped right in to using it today for my commute. Loving it so far, its far quicker then the mountain bike, everything about it operates smoother. Only complaint i'd say I have is that the seats a little hard. I'll replace it in the future it's not a huge deal right now.
Old 05-09-18, 07:32 AM
hokiefyd 

Congratulations! The stock saddle is pretty firm. That was the first thing I swapped out on mine. It does have a very nice "micro adjust" seat post with two bolts to get the exact angle you want.
Old 05-09-18, 07:34 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked my 2018 Giant Roam 2 up last night. Did a quick ride on it to test it out last night, and then jumped right in to using it today for my commute. Loving it so far, its far quicker then the mountain bike, everything about it operates smoother. Only complaint i'd say I have is that the seats a little hard. I'll replace it in the future it's not a huge deal right now.
I agree that the stock seats are firm. They do support my sit bones pretty well, but I also would like it to be softer or have more cushioning.
Old 05-09-18, 07:44 AM
Nate1991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finch204
I agree that the stock seats are firm. They do support my sit bones pretty well, but I also would like it to be softer or have more cushioning.
Yeah I'm used to a super cushy seat that was on the mountain bike, I didn't like that one either. We'll see how my butt adapts to this one otherwise I'll get something with just a bit more cushion.