Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the Bluetooth unit on their Di2?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 02:01 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A few months ago I bought the Bluetooth unit for my Di2 and I immediately noticed the battery life got much worse. Recently my battery got to where it was running down in 2 days. I thought my battery had died so I dropped $120 on a new one. It’s been on for 2 days now and it’s already down to 50%. I just took the Bluetooth unit off but was wondering if any of you had noticed an increased battery drain when using the Bluetooth unit. When my bike was new I got 1,400 miles on it before I charged, and even then it was just down to 50%.
Old 06-09-18, 02:19 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Had D-Fly since Day 0 of my bike with Di2...The only battery rundown issues I ran into....I traced to when I would E-Tube via phone to change the config--and forget to disconnect the phone. Di2 would stay awake and drain overnight.

Rapid battery drain means either a short (not-quite seated connector is enough), or it means something is keeping Di2 awake like the aforementioned forget-to-hangup-the-phone or a FD trim command not completed when you park etc.
Old 06-09-18, 02:24 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Marcus I took the unit out of the equation but I’ll go back out and check all my connections. I did the error check with e-tube and everything tested fine. It’s got nearly 5,000 miles now but is only a year old so really shouldn’t be a bad battery so soon.
Old 06-09-18, 02:31 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by MikeOK
Thanks Marcus I took the unit out of the equation but I’ll go back out and check all my connections. I did the error check with e-tube and everything tested fine. It’s got nearly 5,000 miles now but is only a year old so really shouldn’t be a bad battery so soon.
Yea that is way too soon. My Gravel Di2 rig just clocked over 5,500mi last month. Took me 3 rogue battery drains to figure out the E-Tube app thing...which happened to me in part because of the "Engrish" in the Android E-Tube app English localization....the button to disconnect the phone from Di2 (when you're connected) IIRC always reads "Phone Disconnected" passed tense, rather than "Disconnect Phone?". I'd report the issue to Shimano/E-Tube--but they don't provide any way of contacting them for bugs/suggestions.
Old 06-09-18, 02:50 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Have a online wu111 here with no drain issues. If you connect to it via bluetooth with your phone and don't properly disconnect, it can drain your battery.
Old 06-09-18, 03:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3319 Post(s)
Liked 2,156 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Had D-Fly since Day 0 of my bike with Di2...The only battery rundown issues I ran into....I traced to when I would E-Tube via phone to change the config--and forget to disconnect the phone. Di2 would stay awake and drain overnight.

Rapid battery drain means either a short (not-quite seated connector is enough), or it means something is keeping Di2 awake like the aforementioned forget-to-hangup-the-phone or a FD trim command not completed when you park etc.
That F derailer trim might have been the reason my battery drained over a week while I (and my phone) were in vacation. As well I can’t think of any usefulness to the phone Di2 app, think I’m going to dump it and just use the laptop for the very few times I need to make an adjustment.
Old 06-09-18, 03:10 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah after I got the Bluetooth I decided I wasted my money pretty much, I use it on my iPad but the laptop is just as easy. And you can change the shift mode with just the button on the A box, something I didn’t know until after I spent my cash. And I noticed the disconnect label being wrong in the software. I double checked all my connections and all is well and I’m really sure I disconnected the Bluetooth after I connected to it the other day, we’ll see if it holds a charge after I took the unit out though. And I agree, the e-tube is pretty much useless on the iPhone.
Old 06-09-18, 03:18 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never had an issue with mine, only thing I can think of would be what others have said, it's still connected/trying to connect to a phone or tablet. I haven't tried hooking up my computer through the charger, but being able to update firmware without having to bring my bike in the house, or take my laptop to the garage and re-boot it into Windows (no Mac software for e-tube), is nice.
Old 06-09-18, 03:18 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Yeah after I got the Bluetooth I decided I wasted my money pretty much, I use it on my iPad but the laptop is just as easy. And you can change the shift mode with just the button on the A box, something I didn’t know until after I spent my cash. And I noticed the disconnect label being wrong in the software. I double checked all my connections and all is well and I’m really sure I disconnected the Bluetooth after I connected to it the other day, we’ll see if it holds a charge after I took the unit out though. And I agree, the e-tube is pretty much useless on the iPhone.
I love it for Di2 telemetry live. Granted I've never been good about mentally tracking exactly where I am on the cassette. On Wahoo computers in particular your ride data exposes when you shift and where....Garmin who pioneered it, continues to pretend Di2 telemetry isn't saved and doesn't exist....see if I can get attach to work...

Di2 gears
Old 06-09-18, 09:11 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I use it to display Di2 data on my Garmin 520. Plus I can program the buttons in the top of my hoods to control my Garmin's screens - to sequence through them., Totally worth it to me.