Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 08:40 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
After a week of working out of town I'm back to the grind on a very wet and rainy Monday. Great to be back on the bike!
Old 06-11-18, 12:51 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
60 something and really humid today, it made for a nice cool ride.
Old 06-11-18, 01:59 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,007 Times in 1,257 Posts
Low 70s this morning, and humidity was near 100%, so I was wet and sticky by the time I got to work. I did have fun coming down a couple of hills -- whee!!
Old 06-11-18, 09:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
House sold, escrow closes 6/29 so probably few bike rides til July
Old 06-12-18, 04:54 AM
essiemyra

Liked 277 Times in 113 Posts
This is my first ride in over a week due to life getting in the way. I also had to bring my bike in for service yesterday as the shifter cable was so worn that it was fraying. I got it back yesterday afternoon and it is shifting smoothly and riding really nice. Today's commute was especially nice after being off the bike for so long and with easier riding.
Old 06-12-18, 07:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,007 Times in 1,257 Posts
Sprinkled rain just before I got home last night; not on the rain bike, though.

This morning? Clear blue sky, 72F, light traffic. I guess I should enjoy a low that's below 80F in the morning, but it was still humid.
Old 06-12-18, 07:14 AM
Nate1991

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Storms yesterday, far better weather to start today 60F but the humidity is rising so a little muggy. Some storm damage along my route, but luckily it was all to the side.
Old 06-12-18, 07:21 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
First commute of the week after a 400K ride over the weekend. Glad that I could ride my lightweight Bianchi to work. It showed the temp as low 50s but certainly didnt feel like it. Maybe because the sun was out and shining. It's amazing the tricks mind can play on your body.
Old 06-12-18, 07:34 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 186 Times in 120 Posts
Saw my cousin on the way to work for the 2nd time in a week. Unfortunately he was riding in the opposite direction so aside from saying, "Hi" we didn't get a chance to talk.
Old 06-12-18, 08:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,631 Times in 1,530 Posts
I rode my racing bike to work today, and the ride was fast and fun. The weather is perfect. Often we don't get enough spring weather in the spring, but this is our second straight week of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-12-18, 10:51 AM
arsprod 

Very wet and muggy. By the time I got to work I probably looked like I'd ridden in the rain!
Old 06-13-18, 04:51 AM
essiemyra

A very nice uneventful commute to work this am with the temp at 58 f degrees and me trying to decide whether to wear a light jacket. I went with out it.
Old 06-13-18, 06:00 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Yesterday's ride back home was torturous, with strong headwinds pushing me back.
But today's ride to work was probably one of my fastest, if not THE fastest, averaging almost 19mph!
Old 06-13-18, 06:17 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I didn't get to ride yesterday due taking the morning off for appointments and such. It would have been great though as our low was about 60F and the high was in the mid 70s. Overcast all day.

Humidity wasn't too bad this morning. A good 13+ miles for the morning.

Traffic is noticeably less now that schools are out. Their last day was last week.
Old 06-13-18, 07:32 AM
Nate1991

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice cool ride in today. Train was running late so it mad me a little late, made up some of the time pushing a little harder.
Old 06-13-18, 07:41 AM
arsprod 

muggy muggy muggy
Old 06-13-18, 08:11 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
In a tin can on the tarmac at SMF because LA is foggy. Headed to Edwards AFB. I tried to drum up interest in MTB at Rosamond after work, but no takers.
Old 06-13-18, 08:46 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
You know it's triathalon season when... and when new equipment doesn't work out

Got passed by several riders in full-kit this AM on triathalon bikes. Some doing the speed limit and keeping up with auto traffic! I was suddenly reminded the Coeur d'Alene Ironman must be coming up.

Also, has this ever happened? My little brother gave me the saddle off his new Masi when he threw his Brooks on there. I was eager to try it; I got about 6 blocks from home and literally turned around to get my old saddle to ride to work.

The new saddle is technically 'nicer' but it just wasn't for me.
Old 06-13-18, 09:00 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
My little brother gave me the saddle off his new Masi when he threw his Brooks on there. I was eager to try it; I got about 6 blocks from home and literally turned around to get my old saddle to ride to work. The new saddle is technically 'nicer' but it just wasn't for me.
Is this a nice way of saying that the saddle wasn't an @ss hatchet? I have tried one or two in the last year or so but they also made my nether region more sore. So am still using a women's Terry Butterfly saddle. May not be the lightest thing but it is pretty cheap to replace.

I piled up 200 miles last week riding from home Mon - Thu. I took Fri off the bike since I was dead tired. I finally got my car back from the shop so am doing a few park and rides this week. The car needed ABS pump, wheel bearing and oil change. All a little over $800. Yeeay. Will probably use it until after the summer and look to lease another car to replace it. It has 156,000 miles on it and the repairs are probably getting to the point that they might not be financially worth it. But the car still runs ok overall.
Old 06-13-18, 09:46 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
Is this a nice way of saying that the saddle wasn't an @ss hatchet? I have tried one or two in the last year or so but they also made my nether region more sore. So am still using a women's Terry Butterfly saddle. May not be the lightest thing but it is pretty cheap to replace.

I piled up 200 miles last week riding from home Mon - Thu. I took Fri off the bike since I was dead tired. I finally got my car back from the shop so am doing a few park and rides this week. The car needed ABS pump, wheel bearing and oil change. All a little over $800. Yeeay. Will probably use it until after the summer and look to lease another car to replace it. It has 156,000 miles on it and the repairs are probably getting to the point that they might not be financially worth it. But the car still runs ok overall.
Yeah - it was bad - this is after my brother explained to me the saddle was so nice that the shop owner who sold him the bike said he has several Brooks saddles and still choses to ride on the OEM Masi saddle like the one he gave me. I don't get it. It IS light though - so maybe when I get my competitive SS CX bike built I'll use it for that.

Car stuff can be tricky - I work out of town sometimes so I will go weeks without driving it or only on weekends then weeks when I drive it 800 miles in one week! I work on all my own stuff so if something breaks, I am getting greasy!
Old 06-13-18, 01:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,631 Times in 1,530 Posts
My wife visited her mother last night. She lives right near the Hudson River Greenway, my commuting route. My wife said that returning home on Citi Bike, she thought something was wrong with her legs until she realized it was the headwind. She experienced what I experience every day. It is quite a challenge sometimes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-14-18, 05:30 AM
essiemyra

Another nice uneventful commute to work today with the temp at 65 f degrees making riding conditions pleasant. This is my last ride for this week as my granddaughter is coming to spend the night tonight and I only have to work half a day tomorrow(we babysit her on Friday's).
Old 06-14-18, 06:29 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Granddaughter time sounds great [MENTION=297321]essiemyra[/MENTION]! Enjoy.

Muggy and quite warm this morning. 75F, 73 dew point and 93% humidity.

I stopped for a turtle that was sitting on the yellow line. Traffic wasn't much, but he was not likely to make it across. I put my bike on the side of the road, watched two cars barely miss him, and then picked him up. At first he was going to go into his shell, then he tried to make a run for it as I grabbed him. He kept his head and legs out and they were moving as though he was walking fast.

I put him in the grass and he started going away from the road. I've already seen too many squashed ones this year, so hopefully this guy will stay away from the asphalt.
Old 06-14-18, 07:16 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Liked 2,718 Times in 985 Posts
Saw a guy pulling a 2 wheeler with a kitchen sink on it this morning. In the bike lane of course. Had to get in traffic to get around him.
Old 06-14-18, 07:23 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 186 Times in 120 Posts
Good for you [MENTION=366933]mgw4jc[/MENTION] on helping the turtle. That's something I would do. Unless it's a snapper. Then it would have to fend for itself.

This has been a challenging week as last Saturday my sciatica decided to flare up, so I've been fighting lower back/leg pain. I've still ridden every day, but it hurts. My wife asks me why I still ride when it causes me pain and I respond, "It also hurts when I use the bathroom or crawl into bed, but I haven't stopped doing those things either." She didn't feel my logic was sound, but we've been married long enough that she just ignores me and lets me do my thing.

Yesterday the forecast was for a beautiful day. Temps in the 70s. Sunny. Light wind. Around 2 PM the skies grew dark. By 3 PM it was raining. At 5 PM when it was time to head home the rain was coming down in sheets and the wind was howling. Because of the forecast I had ridden the fenderless road bike and didn't have any other clothing but my work clothes. As I walked over to the building where the bike rack was located there was another guy standing there with his bike. He just started commuting about a month ago. He looked at me and said, "I'm not riding in this. I'm going to call my wife to come pick me up."

I responded by saying, "It's just water. It washes right off." then hopped on my bike and headed for home. I went slow. It was a combination of trying to keep all the slop on the pavement from winding up on me, and the headwind that was breaking 40mph at times. But I made it unscathed.

When I got home I took a few minutes to wipe down the bike. I didn't dry it off completely, but I figured it would be easier to get the chunks of stuff removed while they're still wet rather than waiting until it hardened. It was difficult to force myself to clean the bike immediately, as I was cold and in soaking wet work clothes and I just wanted to go inside and dry myself off.

Today the forecast was another nice day. Being a bit skeptical of the weather guy due to yesterday's complete miss, I decided to go ahead and risk it and ride the road bike again. Chances are slim he's that far wrong two days in a row, right? Right? Bueller...

Had a 20 mph tail wind. It's not supposed to change speed or direction all day so I'll likely have to fight it on the way home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.