Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage French track bike with strange geometry conundrum

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 01:53 AM
estebe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I chose to open the thread here and not in track/ss forum because i believe this has to do more with vintage bike geometry than track bikes in general....of course I could be wrong
So, I recently bought a vintage track bike (80`s?) based on poorish pictures, however I could see that based on the head tube length that it should be my size. And I was almost right:
the head tube being 16.5 cm. However the rest of the bike is strange to me: 55 cm seat tube (c-t) pared to a 53 cm top tube (c-c). Now, the two reference vintage bikes of mine that i ride are both
60 cm seat tube with 58 cm top tube and 17 cm head tubes and that looks "normal"to me...

Or maybe the bike was built for something else and is not a conventional track bike? Both wheels a re 27 inch btw. Any ideas?
Old 06-20-18, 03:09 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 569 Posts
Frame geometry looks okay from here. Really tight clearance between front wheel & down tube. I’m not too familiar with track geometry, but I don’t think that’s too uncommon. Does make me wonder about toe overlap.

Maybe it’s the angle of the photo or the late hour, but something looks off with the spoke lacing pattern. Not to mention it looks like 2x In back and 3x in front? Plus spokes on rear around valve are angled rather than straight “key” spokes.
Old 06-20-18, 03:53 AM
estebe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Frame geometry looks okay from here. Really tight clearance between front wheel & down tube. I’m not too familiar with track geometry, but I don’t think that’s too uncommon. Does make me wonder about toe overlap.

Maybe it’s the angle of the photo or the late hour, but something looks off with the spoke lacing pattern. Not to mention it looks like 2x In back and 3x in front? Plus spokes on rear around valve are angled rather than straight “key” spokes.
Yes, the wheels are 24 h rear Roval track hub with proprietary spokes and front is 36 H Campagnolo. This is how the bike came

That aside, regular vintage road bike geometry, based on my two period bikes that fit my height is:
60 cm ST - 58 cm TT - 17 cm HT
vs
55 cm ST - 53 cm TT - 16, 5 cm HT

that is basically a bike 5 cm smaller with the same length head tube? Was this bike meant for tt bars? Or something else entirely?
Old 06-20-18, 05:11 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,768 Posts
It's probably safe to say that no real track bike (built for velodrome sprinting) was ever designed for use with 27" wheels. In any event, I'd set that bike up with the correct 700c wheels and tires no wider than 25 mm ASAP.

Real track bikes such as that one have less bottom bracket drop than road bikes, which means that the top tube is higher and the head tube is longer for the nominal size. Also, the extremely short wheelbase, steep angles, and abbreviated fork rake dictate a short top tube.

In short, aside from having the wrong wheels, there's nothing unusual about that bike or its geometry.
Old 06-20-18, 05:18 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 2,233 Times in 1,113 Posts
Is that a dent on the chain stay? Nice front Hub!
Old 06-20-18, 05:34 AM
estebe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
It's probably safe to say that no real track bike (built for velodrome sprinting) was ever designed for use with 27" wheels. In any event, I'd set that bike up with the correct 700c wheels and tires no wider than 25 mm ASAP.

Real track bikes such as that one have less bottom bracket drop than road bikes, which means that the top tube is higher and the head tube is longer for the nominal size. Also, the extremely short wheelbase, steep angles, and abbreviated fork rake dictate a short top tube.

In short, aside from having the wrong wheels, there's nothing unusual about that bike or its geometry.
I see, well tank you very much for the clarifications. If this is the case then for what kind of height was this frame designed? What I`m trying to understand is whether this is for someone who would ride a classic 55 cm geometry or not? It shows that I`m a novice in the field I guess
but the information on net is often contradictory. As far as I gather there are 2 schools of thought: a track bike should be 1 size smaller then the equivalent road bike and 2) they should be the same size.

I started with the assumption that it would fit my 6`2 height based on the head tube length but it feels like a toy due to the 53cm tt... on the other hand this is my first track bike and don`t know what it should feel like

Last edited by estebe; 06-20-18 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 05:35 AM
estebe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Is that a dent on the chain stay? Nice front Hub!
Thank you!. Yes, Campagnolo sheriff track hub. No. I think it`s a crimp to clear the crank arm which falls exactly over the crimp. Looks factory made...
Old 06-20-18, 06:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,046 Times in 1,882 Posts
Typically, a track bicycle is going to gain about 1-2 cm of head tube length compared to a road bicycle, to compensate for the decreased clearance between the tyre and fork crown. It's also going to lose about the same amount of seat tube length due to increased BB height.
Old 06-20-18, 07:36 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by estebe
I see, well tank you very much for the clarifications. If this is the case then for what kind of height was this frame designed? What I`m trying to understand is whether this is for someone who would ride a classic 55 cm geometry or not? It shows that I`m a novice in the field I guess
but the information on net is often contradictory. As far as I gather there are 2 schools of thought: a track bike should be 1 size smaller then the equivalent road bike and 2) they should be the same size.

I started with the assumption that it would fit my 6`2 height based on the head tube length but it feels like a toy due to the 53cm tt... on the other hand this is my first track bike and don`t know what it should feel like
For sizing recommendations, you should probably start a new thread in the appropriate subforum.

If you're not going to race on the track with it, I suggest setting it up with a stem that allows you to replicate your road bike setup.

Also, I suggest installing a front brake, which might necessitate buying a fork that's drilled for a brake.

The gearing looks as though it might be O.K. for road riding. If not, though, you might want to pick up a bigger sprocket or smaller chainring.
Old 06-20-18, 01:06 PM
estebe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Typically, a track bicycle is going to gain about 1-2 cm of head tube length compared to a road bicycle, to compensate for the decreased clearance between the tyre and fork crown. It's also going to lose about the same amount of seat tube length due to increased BB height.
Thank you for the info. However I found this track bike today which is a 53 cm ST (c-t). Mine is 55 cm so one size bigger and yet the head tube is disproportionately longer. The Harry Quin looks like a 53 cm bike based on its tiny head tube...
tube...
Old 06-20-18, 01:14 PM
Trakhak

Thank you for the info. However I found this track bike today which is a 53 cm ST (c-t). Mine is 55 cm so one size bigger and yet the head tube is disproportionately longer. The Harry Quin looks like a 53 cm bike based on its tiny head tube...
tube...
Looks like a bike built for a small racer. The top tube is as short as possible, given the 700c wheel size as a limiting factor (note that the tire appears to barely clear the down tube). No need for a tall head tube on a bike that small.
Old 06-20-18, 01:58 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,046 Times in 1,882 Posts

tube...

Yes, but that 53cm is to the top of the seat tube, which projects 5-6 cm above the top tube. Add that 5-6cm to the head tube length, to get a true representation of head tube length compared to your frame

Old 06-20-18, 07:32 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 356 Posts
At 6'2 I would look for a 60cm track bike.