Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What People Are Saying

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What People Are Saying

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 11:23 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wittyname
A pair of young ladies pulled alongside me and yelled 'We love your socks!'. Gave them a smile and a friendly wave.
Need more info on the socks please.
Old 06-25-18, 01:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 2,624 Posts
Best pair of socks I've seen is a pair of Maryland state flag socks; one leg was the black&yellow checks, the other was the red fleur-de-lis. The asymmetry was really cool
Old 06-25-18, 02:05 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Amitoj
Need more info on the socks please.
Orange and blue Hand Stripe from Team Dream

Old 06-25-18, 03:38 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Nice. I'll have to remember that one
Old 06-25-18, 03:51 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Timing on this thread is good. Just this morning I had an Asian woman on an e-bike riding like a moron behind me in the bike lane, trying to squeeze between me and another rider as I was about to slow for a light (and yes, I gave her a hand signal). She stopped too, so I told her she should ride on the street if she wasn't even going to bother pedaling the thing.

She then said something to me, twice, which I couldn't understand with her heavy accent. Then she put her hand on her stomach and said slowly, "do you have your period?" Suffice to say, there was a pretty long string of profanities from me after that, until she rode away (the wrong way down an one-way street). My patience for the e-bikers and the idiots on the electric skateboards and scooters is down below zero.
Old 06-25-18, 03:59 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I was out cycling one morning on the bicycle path (I am retired and have the free time)…. and happened to stop at a rest area around lunch time. A couple very attractive young women who were apparently walking during their lunch hour also stopped. One of them came up to me and told me I was an inspiration to her.... just seeing me out there exercising.

I asked.... "because I am old"?

She said "Yes".
Old 06-25-18, 04:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Then she put her hand on her stomach and said slowly, "do you have your period?"
I'm sorry man, but that made me laugh (at you)
Old 06-25-18, 04:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I was out cycling one morning on the bicycle path (I am retired and have the free time)…. and happened to stop at a rest area around lunch time. A couple very attractive young women who were apparently walking during their lunch hour also stopped. One of them came up to me ...
Dear Penthouse Forum...
Old 06-25-18, 04:22 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I'm sorry man, but that made me laugh (at you)
I realize that, objectively, it seems like a funny comment. But it's less funny when someone is doing something they shouldn't be doing, doing it like a jerk, and then trying to rub it in your face. I'm about as liberal as you can get, but stuff like that makes you think...

NYC is getting worse and worse as people from countries with horrible traffic laws (or disregard for those laws) show up here and do as they did at home. The arrogance and ignorance is too much to ignore. And don't give me any nonsense about having an open mind, because I've been in the exact opposite situation and never once expected an established culture to put up with my nonsense just because it was the way I did it at home.

Dear Penthouse Forum...
My thoughts exactly. I was hoping that story would go in a completely different direction...
Old 06-25-18, 04:29 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I realize that, objectively, it seems like a funny comment. But it's less funny when someone is doing something they shouldn't be doing, doing it like a jerk, and then trying to rub it in your face. I'm about as liberal as you can get, but stuff like that makes you think...

NYC is getting worse and worse as people from countries with horrible traffic laws (or disregard for those laws) show up here and do as they did at home. The arrogance and ignorance is too much to ignore. And don't give me any nonsense about having an open mind, because I've been in the exact opposite situation and never once expected an established culture to put up with my nonsense just because it was the way I did it at home.
I get it, funny to the observer, but not to the receiver. I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it either. (Then again I wouldn't have been bold enough to say anything, just let them ride past and away from me). Unfortunately liberty includes liberty to be a jerk, and sometimes non-jerks have to suffer through, be the bigger man, take the high road, etc.
Old 06-25-18, 09:26 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
They didn't speak to me, but I had a strange encounter the other night.
I was riding alone up an overpass at about 2AM, no cars or people in sight. A car passes me slowly, some guys look at me, then they accelerate again. When I'm approaching the top, I see the car stopped there as if waiting for me. It looked like they were up to no good, but if I turned or stopped they could catch me anyway, so I go on. As I pass, someone opens the rear door and sticks out a hand with something in it. He throws me a stream of that white carnival foam (and misses). Not a word, a laugh, nothing. They start and pass me again, don't even look at me.
Sort of anticlimactic, but I liked it better that way.
Old 06-26-18, 07:25 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wittyname
Orange and blue Hand Stripe from Team Dream
I have something similar, more colorful. But no one has shown them any love
Old 06-26-18, 08:03 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 111 Posts
While riding up a big hill, a gentleman that I would see taking his daily walk occasionally, told me I made it look easy. Another time a cop came up along side me in his car and told me I was going to fast(up another big hill). He has a sense of humor.
Old 06-26-18, 09:21 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by essiemyra
While riding up a big hill, a gentleman that I would see taking his daily walk occasionally, told me I made it look easy. Another time a cop came up along side me in his car and told me I was going to fast(up another big hill). He has a sense of humor.
Ha, I'd get a kick out of that.

I have a memory of us kids all being in the car with mom driving, and we happened to pass my dad who was out for a ride. Mom had us all lean out the windows and yell "GET A HORSE". We thought it was hilarious.
Old 06-26-18, 10:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7414 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
Thanks for the laughs, folks.

@robertorolfo, my friends say I wear rose colored glasses. I think driving courtesy has improved in recent years, even as congestion has worsened. I'm not saying you got what you deserved from that woman, but if you hadn't said anything, you wouldn't have ended up so annoyed. I rarely say anything to all the doofuses, and we have plenty of them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-26-18, 12:39 PM
robertorolfo

(Then again I wouldn't have been bold enough to say anything, just let them ride past and away from me). Unfortunately liberty includes liberty to be a jerk, and sometimes non-jerks have to suffer through, be the bigger man, take the high road, etc.
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm not saying you got what you deserved from that woman, but if you hadn't said anything, you wouldn't have ended up so annoyed. I rarely say anything to all the doofuses, and we have plenty of them.
That's just the thing... I'm taking the high road 95% of the time. Last Friday another guy on an e-bike brushed by me in a tight spot (at low speed), but he immediately apologized and I just let it go.

But sometimes it's just egregious and dangerous. And when someone takes putting other people at risk lightly, that just sets me off.
Old 06-26-18, 12:41 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

yes, it makes a huge difference if the offending party shows any sign they were aware they did something offensive
Old 06-26-18, 02:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@robertorolfo, every so often, a friend from Ireland visits and we take a ride together. He is ten years older than I am and long ago was on the world bike racing scene, a domestique for one of the big guys. He still rides a fair bit. Once we were in very tony New Jersey suburb, and some entitled dude in an expensive German car honked at us and cut us off. I asked him what he does in cases like that. In a very relaxed tone, he said, "I just ignore people like that." It was a lesson for me. I try, and I don't always succeed, but since then, I've gotten better. And it's just as important with poor delivery dudes on ebikes as with wealthy people in luxury cars.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-26-18, 03:30 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 3,681 Times in 1,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I haven't had much said to me when I'm on my bike, but then I'm an overweight, middle-aged white woman, so there's not much to say. I was climbing a very challenging hill once, and a young woman in a car encouraged me. Then there was the time I was just riding and some young man, passenger in the car that was passing me, shrieked at the top of his lungs about six feet behind me. I jumped about a foot, but managed to not let it show.

I like to smile and wave at other cyclists, and mostly get a smile and wave back. Sometimes we just trade nods.
i think you probably have the build of the cyclists who inspire me. i am not sure what it is, but if i see a cyclist who doesnt look athleticly slender there is a little part of me that cheers inside. i am less than athletic looking myself.
Old 06-26-18, 03:38 PM
FargoRider

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2009 Fuji CCR-3, 2015 Framed Minnesota 3.0 (fatty), 1992 Bianchi Project-3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride by a YWCA shelter each day as part of my commute. During the school year, there are quite a few kids gathered each morning waiting for their bus. I notice many of them staring at me as I ride by then turn down the street in front of them. One day one of those kids yelled "Cool bike, man!". I just smiled, gave the kids a thumbs up and said thanks. I think that also increased my speed by 1 or 2 mph.

I've had a few lectures about having bikes on streets, but it's always nice when people greet me, or just wave when I'm on my commute.
Old 06-26-18, 03:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Back when the lower east side of Manhattan was a scary place to be, I was riding my commuter bike, a decidedly ugly but functional bike. Some kid in a gang of about three or four kids yelled, "Cheap bike!" Here in NYC, lots of people are conscious of bikes and their values. I was pleased that I had fooled him into thinking it was crappy.

Old 06-26-18, 04:00 PM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by noglider
...but since then, I've gotten better. And it's just as important with poor delivery dudes on ebikes as with wealthy people in luxury cars.
Teach me, Zen master! Seriously, sometimes I wonder if I should just be taking some sort of chill pill (as in, the real ones)...
Old 06-26-18, 04:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Teach me, Zen master! Seriously, sometimes I wonder if I should just be taking some sort of chill pill (as in, the real ones)...
Anti-depressants work, if that's what you mean. You could also do a little prayer/meditation/focus before you put your leg over the bike, on how you promise yourself not to get annoyed.

Old 06-26-18, 04:20 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 946 Posts
Aww, @52telecaster, thanks! I think. I'm just happy to be on my bike. Except when the wind is blowing, then not so much. ::glares at waving trees and shrubs outside::
Old 06-26-18, 05:10 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I figure the unsaid comments are worse than anything people say, and I hope I'm not discouraging anyone from riding when they see me go by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.