Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji Regis crank puzzle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fuji Regis crank puzzle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 12:03 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Fuji Regis crank puzzle?

I am restoring a 1985 Fuji Regis road bike and have it completely disassembled. When starting to re - install the bearings for the crankset I suddenly realized the drive side of the crank has an extra race which I cannot figure the correct way to install the bearings. In all the other old Fuji bikes I have restored this is the first time I have come across this problem. Normally I coat the race with grease which holds the bearings in place while I reassemble it. This inner race prevents me from using that method. Has anyone any suggestions
Old 07-03-18, 01:31 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 880 Posts
That looks like a sealing ring.

These wedge-profile rubber rings were used just outboard of the bearing retainer on both sides of the bike. It takes up space that would normally be occupied by grease and/or an air gap, and was presumed to help keep dirt from entering.
Was never a thing on higher-end equipment, only on entry-level bikes that perhaps had bigger clearance gaps between cups and spindles that had fewer machining steps in their manufacture.

For the life of me I can't recall which way that the seal's shape is oriented, only that it is outboard of the retainers inside each cup.
Old 07-03-18, 01:48 PM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
That makes sense but why not on both sides? Still don't know how to get the bearing balls to stay in position when I assemble it. Too hot to think straight today. Maybe it will come to me when its cooler!
Old 07-03-18, 02:52 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
That makes sense but why not on both sides? Still don't know how to get the bearing balls to stay in position when I assemble it. Too hot to think straight today. Maybe it will come to me when its cooler!
If it's a sealing ring, it should just slide off w/o any significant resistance. The opposite side should have one too, maybe it's still lining the spindle hole in the cup? Or it may have been lost in a previous servicing; old bike and all.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 07-03-18, 03:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
Could it be a neoprene seal that became dislodged from the cup? If so, you should be able to roll it off the spindle and re-insert it into the groove in the cup:

Old 07-03-18, 04:37 PM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Of Course! Now I feel like an idiot. That's exactly what it was. Don't know how it did not come off when I was trying to work around it.
I just went out to my workbench and it slipped off so easily I could not beliew it. Thanks, guys for the information.
(I'm going to blame it on the heat!)
Old 07-04-18, 12:09 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Don't bang yourself up over this one... You identified the problem, described it in a concise way, and reacted with understanding when your well-meaning peers gave you good advice.

It's nice to see when it works, and this is why I keep coming back here.