Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- July 14/15

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- July 14/15

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 12:01 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Liked 931 Times in 528 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
Colorado's Triple Bypass on the 14th. Great weather the entire way. 118mi/10,000ft climbing of 3 epic passes. Tops out at 11,990ft. or 3,655m. My third time completing the ride. Wonderfully organized event.
It was my first. Great ride. Amazing how hard the easiest climb of the day (Vail Pass) feels when I've already got 90 miles on the legs.

I think in the future I'll pay for a shuttle. It sucked trying to coordinate my wife, mother in law, dog, and baby to somehow find me at the end of a ride and I didn't have a phone (that thing is heavy!!) and hers wasn't working due to some unlocking Verizon/Crickett scuffle.

Every time I ride a long ways, I always wonder how the heck the pro's do that nearly every day. I'm talking about the butt, not the legs.
Old 07-16-18, 03:46 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Tour of the California Alps

Rode four (out of five) passes of the Tour of the California Alps Saturday with my daughter, her husband & a friend. Here's our ride profile from where we began between Woodfords and Turtle Rock Park with out & backs over Monitor & Ebbitts Passes, (about 93 miles). There was plenty of water and fuel choices, super volunteers and the huge vistas that make this one of the best and well supported in the State. Here is a huge thank-you to everyone working so hard to make it happen. It's a big event, ours was a very fun ride. Even got an afternoon thunderstorm on Ebbitts to cool us off. We did miss the cutoff time to climb Carson Pass, but just as well as there was an even bigger T-storm over there.
Old 07-16-18, 09:16 PM
woodcraft

Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I've been sick pretty much all week and haven't ridden for several days. Finally went out today for a few miles.

Sunday - A little over 12 miles in a little over an hour. Kept the HR under 100 except for one small hill climb. In honor of France winning The World Cup I took out the 46 year old French Peugeot U-08. It's really quite nice and comfortable for what it is. I have to admit my lungs are really messed up and unable to take a full breath. Home now totally wiped out from the "easy" effort today.

Impressive how few mechanicals you have, running all those bikes.

Hope you feel better.
Old 07-16-18, 11:54 PM
50PlusCycling

Liked 896 Times in 444 Posts
20km around the Minato ward in Tokyo, mostly flat with a couple of climbs. Temps were 35 degrees C, and very humid. I kept up a 30 kph pace, not fast, but not bad considering my lack of conditioning. I'll repeat the ride tomorrow, though it's supposed to be even hotter.
Old 07-17-18, 04:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by arizonamed
Rode the STP yesterday, 205 miles and just under 12hrs moving time. First time for me and I’m hoping it’s the start of a yearly tradition for years to come!
Congrats!!

That's one I considered doing many times when I lived in North America.
Old 07-17-18, 06:36 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
^^^Great pics, I lived in Japan for a few years a decade or so ago (did JET and then a private eikaiwa) and miss it tremendously. Always wanting to go back. What do you do for work there?
I work at an International Preschool/Kindergarten. I'm a teacher/administrator for the company. All my students that I teach can speak with me in English

I'm in Aichi, where were you placed?
Old 07-17-18, 06:40 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
20km around the Minato ward in Tokyo, mostly flat with a couple of climbs. Temps were 35 degrees C, and very humid. I kept up a 30 kph pace, not fast, but not bad considering my lack of conditioning. I'll repeat the ride tomorrow, though it's supposed to be even hotter.
I recommend not much climbing in the heat we're having... Going to be near 40 degrees here, it will probably over on the pavement in Tokyo.
Old 07-17-18, 06:58 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
I work at an International Preschool/Kindergarten. I'm a teacher/administrator for the company. All my students that I teach can speak with me in English

I'm in Aichi, where were you placed?
Not too far away...I was in a little coastal town called Hamasaka (officially shinonsen-cho) in the very very very northwest corner of Hyogo. Did that for two years before moving down to Himeji with a private eikaiwa, where I lived for another year or so. Loved my time there.
Old 07-17-18, 07:57 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,406 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Impressive how few mechanicals you have, running all those bikes.

Hope you feel better.
LOL, oh I'm constantly working on them. This one for example still has the freewheel on it from the Fuji I got these alloy wheels from. Can't use the largest cog. No big deal unless I forget and try to shift to it.

Then the Prologue RD shifter won't index so I run it in friction mode.

I finally fixed the ghost shifting on the Maillot Jaune that's been going on for a year.

Still have to replace the headset on my 89 Centurion. Once I adjust for no knock, movement it's too tight. And I've got a flat on the rear of the Cabestany. All minor stuff but I do spend time keeping everything going. Part of the fun for me.
Old 07-17-18, 11:02 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,003 Times in 1,423 Posts
Did our last tough group ride this past Sunday. 115 miles, 7300', 2 passes. The first pass was cool, only 65°-75°. but then we were in eastern Washington where it was 90°-106° for the next 5 hours, a good bit of it over 104°. I went through 6 liters of water, did fine in the heat except for being slow on the last pass. My power drops off about 15% on this long of a ride and climbing in this kind of heat. Lots of good heat training, anyway. My bright yellow and skin-tight Pactimo jersey was wonderful. I can only wear it this time of year without feeling well, protuberant. Funny story - I wetted out my poly hat and sun sleeves when it got hot. They were still wet at the finish, as was my jersey - no exogenous water added.
Old 07-17-18, 11:57 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
101 miles
16.8 MPH
48x16 fixed gear
Old 07-17-18, 08:28 PM
50PlusCycling

Liked 896 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
I recommend not much climbing in the heat we're having... Going to be near 40 degrees here, it will probably over on the pavement in Tokyo.
The city is hot, but not so bad if I keep moving. I have a 2.5km loop here which runs from Midtown, and through the Aoyama cemetery, it has no stops, so I can get in some decent distance in a short time. I sometimes take a big loop through the city, from here to Asakusa, then out to Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Ebisu, and then back home. But I spend as much time waiting at traffic lights as I do riding.

I used to live near the coast in Chiba, which is a great area to ride. But in the summer the bugs are thick, and the traffic along the beach is heavy.