Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OK! I'm Back...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OK! I'm Back...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 12:24 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 1,076 Posts
OK! I'm Back...

Been outta it since November 2017. Had a bout of Malignant Melanoma of the scalp. Possibly precipitated by a slow healing wound on my head after a bicycle accident several years ago. Well I finally got thin enough in my hair that I found it and got it treated at MD Anderson Houston. WOW... Even though I've been working in the medical field for most of my life, I just didn't think a simple skin lesion could be so serious. All better now. Went form stage four to stage one no chemo, no radiation. YEAH!

Have not ridden my bike cause I can't wear a helmet yet. I did get a stationary stand but I just can't stand it. I have never been one for treadmills, ellipticals or stationary anything.

Anyway... I finally came back to cruising the bikeforum and hope soon to ride. Its nice knowing youse guys are still here...
Old 07-19-18, 06:11 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've become a bit more serious about skin care recently. I apparently have a bald spot - at least that's what I'm told - so I wear a hat when I'm outside for more than a few minutes. In the summer I load up on the sunscreen on my arms, legs, and neck when I'm riding. Melanoma is nothing to screw around with.
Old 07-19-18, 06:26 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good to hear you're getting things back to normal somewhat. I had a big patch of skin removed last summer that was a pre-cancer. It was an eye opener for sure. Now I take more precautions.
Old 07-21-18, 08:48 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
It's good to hear that you're okay. I hope you can get back to cycling soon.
Having spent almost my whole life in sunny, hot climates, I just assume that I will get skin cancer at some point, like my father and grandfather before me. My wife had a pre-cancerous patch removed from her face about seven or eight years ago, and only since then have I taken sunscreen or other protection seriously. Your story is a reminder to be vigilant.
Old 07-22-18, 07:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Been outta it since November 2017. Had a bout of Malignant Melanoma of the scalp. Possibly precipitated by a slow healing wound on my head after a bicycle accident several years ago. Well I finally got thin enough in my hair that I found it and got it treated at MD Anderson Houston. WOW... Even though I've been working in the medical field for most of my life, I just didn't think a simple skin lesion could be so serious. All better now. Went form stage four to stage one no chemo, no radiation. YEAH!

Have not ridden my bike cause I can't wear a helmet yet. I did get a stationary stand but I just can't stand it. I have never been one for treadmills, ellipticals or stationary anything.

Anyway... I finally came back to cruising the bikeforum and hope soon to ride. Its nice knowing youse guys are still here...
I think we should brainstorm ideas for an under-helmet hat thingy to get you back out there ASAP. Glad you're doing so well!
Old 07-23-18, 12:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Good to hear you're recovering.

I think the trick to using an indoor trainer or stationary bike is to find the right distraction. I was out for several weeks with two busted shoulders in May and June. A friend gave me his old Cycleops trainer. I tried some training videos on YouTube but they were dreadful.

I sorted through my Amazon watch list of movies and TV shows I've been intending to watch and settled on Orphan Black. Didn't expect much and the first episode didn't really grab me. But I watched three episodes in the first two days on the trainer. Next thing I knew it was season 5 and I'd put in the equivalent to 1,000 miles on the trainer.

When I was finally able to ride outside again, just a couple of weeks ago, I was in pretty good shape. Legs and lungs were good. Biggest challenge was the summer heat, since I missed my window of opportunity for gradual heat adaptation in May. And Texas went from "Oh, nice weather we're having the springOHMYGOD, WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED IT'S A FURNACE IN HERE!!!" I rode two days this weekend with the temps peaking at 110F and felt fine until Sunday morning, then felt kinda queasy from exhaustion.

Anyway, the indoor trainer isn't bad if you can find something to distract you. I keep most of my sessions to the length of a 40 minute episode.
Old 07-23-18, 04:47 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 509 Posts
BACK

Had another 102 miles completed at 4AM Saturday in darkness aided by moon shine and battery lights. Very little UV to worry about.