Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Maybe applying to bike shop...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 09:53 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts

I'm giving some light consideration to applying to one of the best bike shops around. They're looking for someone with a passion for bikes, sales experience and its even a full time gig. Hey cool right? Well, i have no clue what they pay but I'm willing to say its less than what I make as a union sheetmetal worker for a class 1 railroad. But i hate that job. Midlife crisis at 34 maybe? Maybe. The enticing part is being able to see my wife more. Ride more. And get done with my schooling and receive my associates degree in business admin quicker. Thoughts? Anecdotes? I will say i miss working for a small business but theres that damn pay and benefits thing thats hard to beat.
Old 08-07-18, 12:23 AM
milan4ever

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Go for it. Life's too short to have a job that you hate. 34 is still young for a change
Old 08-07-18, 03:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyV
They're looking for someone with a passion for bikes, sales experience and its even a full time gig.
Well ... minimum wage is better than nothing.

I'd ask what the pay rate is before you make any decisions you might regret.

Also keep in mind that you'll likely be working weekends ... does that appeal to you?
Old 08-07-18, 05:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18564 Post(s)
Liked 15,991 Times in 7,511 Posts
One of the best around? How many shops are around Bellwood, PA? I guess maybe in 'Toona?
Old 08-07-18, 05:59 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hating a job is a good reason to look elsewhere, especially if bicycles are your passion. Sounds like a serious discussion with your wife is necessary to decide what the financial outcome and life would look like short term and long term. I did change my career at about your age, but the pay wasn’t much different, so our biggest consideration was relocating. Decisions like you’re facing can be difficult and very different for each person. I wish you all the best!
Old 08-07-18, 06:03 AM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
One of the best around? How many shops are around Bellwood, PA? I guess maybe in 'Toona?
State College. Though I always wanted to open one in Bellwood but the market just isnt there.
Old 08-07-18, 10:47 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Been there done that. The bad part for me was working around all the young employees and owner. I have a die hard passion for bicycles, been working on them and riding them seriously for over 25 years. The youngsters there thought they knew it all, and always thought of me as some "old dude" who couldn't get a good job. I had been in engineering as a mechanical designer for 18 years. Just wanted a break form all that so I applied as a wrench/sales person at one of the best shops here. I know how things work, how to sale and experience in CSR. The owner only thought of $$ and being buddies with the younger staff. The "Head Wrench" thought he knew it all, and we always had arguments on how to properly repair problems. I also have 12 years as a industrial mechanic. He didn't even know how to remove or set a bearing. Anyhow, it made for a real nice job go sour. So, now I'm back at a profitable engineering firm, designing HVAC systems, riding and repairing my own bikes. Think twice, jump once.
Old 08-07-18, 11:00 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 239 Posts
Try to get a clear idea of starting pay and what the pay and benefits are likely to be if you treat it like a career. Get a clear idea if you'll be expected to work weekends and if that'll work for you.

I personally don't like sales enough to feel good doing it primarily (I'm a mechanic) but some people really thrive doing it. The difference in value between a good and great salesperson is considerable. If you looked your coworkers it can be a really fun environment and it feels good to set customers up so they can have a fun time in their bikes.
Old 08-07-18, 11:04 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
There is no way any bike shop in the United States will match the salary and benefits of a union job with a railroad.
Old 08-07-18, 11:19 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I worked at a shop when I was in grad school, it was fun but I was horrible at sales (and still am). But I was able to spend my days talking about bikes and truing wheels. However giving up a good union gig to a probably min wage with no benefits gig seems like not the best choice, I can't imagine your wife would be cool with this choice. I'd ask these questions, can you get health insurance through your wives gig? Does your wives gig have any sort of retirement, 401k, pension? Can your wives gig pay for your rent/mortgage the big things solo? The only way I'd do this is if you'd be able to finish your biz degree in less than 2 years and get onto looking for a new job.
Old 08-07-18, 11:22 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Been there done that. The bad part for me was working around all the young employees and owner. I have a die hard passion for bicycles, been working on them and riding them seriously for over 25 years. The youngsters there thought they knew it all, and always thought of me as some "old dude" who couldn't get a good job. I had been in engineering as a mechanical designer for 18 years. Just wanted a break form all that so I applied as a wrench/sales person at one of the best shops here. I know how things work, how to sale and experience in CSR. The owner only thought of $$ and being buddies with the younger staff. The "Head Wrench" thought he knew it all, and we always had arguments on how to properly repair problems. I also have 12 years as a industrial mechanic. He didn't even know how to remove or set a bearing. Anyhow, it made for a real nice job go sour. So, now I'm back at a profitable engineering firm, designing HVAC systems, riding and repairing my own bikes. Think twice, jump once.
There is a shop in Virginia that I won't even go into as a customer, because I'm always treated like a kindergartner by the 20 somethings. Good advice here.

Old 08-07-18, 11:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7118 Post(s)
Liked 11,276 Times in 4,812 Posts
The responses are interesting and varied: some focus on the (likely) pay cut, others on the working environment in a bike shop, others on fringe benefits, etc.

I think this demonstrates that the bottom line is that only the OP can answer this question.
Old 08-07-18, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18564 Post(s)
Liked 15,991 Times in 7,511 Posts
State College.
I'm a Conrailer.
Old 08-07-18, 12:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11063 Post(s)
Liked 7,629 Times in 4,253 Posts
The old adage about finding what you love in life and then figuring put a way to make money at it could hold true.

or, perhaps you will find, like many others have, that working at what you love makes it less fun.

no way to know without trying.

I prefer to stay at my job I dislike because the benefits outweigh the dislike.
compensation, health benefits, retirement benefits, and work/life balance can add up to make it worth staying at a job you don't love.

hope you can make it all work
Old 08-07-18, 06:16 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They may only be looking for fulltime staff, but would you be willing to give up a day for a few weekends in a row to help out? See if you like it, maybe get some perspective? Wouldn't hurt to ask....
Old 08-07-18, 06:38 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I worked in three different bike shops while getting my undergrad in business admin. I even did my final marketing project on running my own bike shop.

It was alright for a "just something to do" job, but god it'd suck as a real one.

Never, ever would I want to do that for any kind of necessary work. The ability to walk away immediately is very necessary.
Old 08-07-18, 07:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
The enticing part is being able to see my wife more. Ride more. And get done with my schooling and receive my associates degree in business admin quicker.
My experience working in a bike shop is that you shouldn't expect to ride more. The paradox is, the times when the weather is nicest and you'd love to be out riding are exactly the times when the bike shop is busiest.

But you may be able to see your wife more and finish your degree, so there's that.
Old 08-08-18, 07:57 AM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was an officer in the US Navy from 1984-1989. When I was got out I needed a break from all the deployments and at-sea time, so I took a full time sales job in a bike shop in San Antonio Texas. It was probably the most fun I've ever had at work. I loved talking about bikes all day....watching the mechanics and learning the finer points of bike repair.....hanging out with some of the local Cat 1's and 2's when they'd come in...test riding dream bikes......and especially getting newbies into the sport on a good bike that actually fit them - and watching them get the "ah ha" moment.

But minimum wage sucked. I mean really sucked and if it weren't for savings from my days in the Navy I wouldn't have been able to afford it. I did finally have to quit after about 4 years to return to the "real world" and get a decent job because I just couldn't afford to work there anymore. But I still think back to those days and the good times I had.

I'd do it again in a heart beat!
Old 08-08-18, 07:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Try to get a clear idea of starting pay and what the pay and benefits are likely to be if you treat it like a career. Get a clear idea if you'll be expected to work weekends and if that'll work for you.

I personally don't like sales enough to feel good doing it primarily (I'm a mechanic) but some people really thrive doing it. The difference in value between a good and great salesperson is considerable. If you looked your coworkers it can be a really fun environment and it feels good to set customers up so they can have a fun time in their bikes.
Yeah, I've put in my time working retail.

From my experience,

-- if you're new, you often get the evening and weekend shifts ... which worked well for me because I was often in uni when I was working retail.
-- if you're lucky, you might be paid $1/hour over minimum.
-- benefits ... not likely.

-- and the customers ... most places I worked had mostly decent customers, but you're always going to get the weird, exhausting ones ...
... like the woman who lifted a whole stack of tops from the front table of the store, in different sizes, popped them into a generic shopping bag, then came back in about 30 min later wanting to "return" them all for cash ... and got quite upset when we told her we'd be ringing the authorities.
... or the one who imagined she was in one of those shows where people are given $5000 to buy a whole new wardrobe (that's what she told us!), and tried on just about everything in the shop ... and then walked out.
... or the one in the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" T-shirt, who asked for a blueberry turnover, which she got ... and ate 3/4 of ... then tried to tell me (scream at me at the top of her lungs) that she'd asked for an apple turnover because she was allergic to blueberries. Um ... at one bite, you couldn't tell the difference between blueberry and apple? You had to eat 3/4 of the thing to be sure? I had to just about bite my tongue off to keep from saying, "Don't worry ... be happy!" to her.

There are definitely days where you just want to lie down in a dark quiet room.

But as mentioned above ... some people really thrive on that kind of environment.
Old 08-08-18, 11:30 AM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah.... even the OK customers can be really clueless and expect to buy a nice bike for 150$ and get really confused if you try to tell them that 150$ won't get them much.
Old 08-08-18, 01:33 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 403 Posts
I'm giving some light consideration to applying to one of the best bike shops around. They're looking for someone with a passion for bikes, sales experience and its even a full time gig. Hey cool right? Well, i have no clue what they pay but I'm willing to say its less than what I make as a union sheetmetal worker for a class 1 railroad. But i hate that job. Midlife crisis at 34 maybe? Maybe. The enticing part is being able to see my wife more. Ride more. And get done with my schooling and receive my associates degree in business admin quicker. Thoughts? Anecdotes? I will say i miss working for a small business but theres that damn pay and benefits thing thats hard to beat.
I'll leave the pay part out, spoiler alert, it's going to be small, but if you think you are going to work retail and "have more time to ride, and spend with family" you are going to be disappointed.
Old 08-08-18, 09:33 PM
Ritalalala

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a cool thing to develop a hobby into a career.