Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My bike was stolen

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My bike was stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 01:36 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Right. It's replacement value of the bike as you've accessorized it. The price you paid for it in its unimproved state is irrelevant. No fraud, just insurance on the bike as it was when it was stolen, and what it would cost to replace the whole thing.
Of course, the purchase price would have been irrelevant even if it was just a case where the OP just got a ridiculous bargain, and the unimproved bike was worth many times what he paid for it. If you buy an original da Vinci painting for 50 cents, you aren't limited to insuring it for 50 cents.
Exactly. The only reason I made out so well was that I purchased the bike for a lot less than it was worth. But the other points are just as important
1) I didn't have the serial number but had several photos that allowed me to prove the model/year and what accessories I had put on the bike. In fact I was shocked when I purchased my carbon bike that the serial number was merely a sticker on the BB. Obviously I have detailed records of my current bikes now.
2) It took a lot of work on my part, but ultimately the insurance adjuster accepted almost all of my claim.
3) My bike was leaning against my car just outside my garage (technically a common area) unlocked as I had moved them out of my garage in order to spray paint something. I was in my apartment waiting to apply additional coats. My adjuster said a theft is a theft. I keep my good bike in my apartment now.
4) You will definitely need a police report, which in my town is trivial as you do it online and can have the official report mailed in a few days. You will want to be as detailed as you can be describing the bike because it will need to match your claim almost word for word. These will also need to match your initial statement to your adjuster as they record it.

The police report asked if my bike was locked which I answered truthfully that it wasn't. My adjuster never brought the issue up at all until I asked the question.

Good photos are even more important if your bike is not stock.

Obviously, my experience was with renters insurance. Homeowners insurance is a different animal.
Old 08-07-18, 06:30 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The police found it! The officer said it was left a couple businesses over. I don't know if guesswork or there was video but he said it seemed the guy didn't know how to ride a bike, tried and fell a couple of times, and gave up and abandoned it.

The police officer said he tried it out and it still rides fine. He brought it to me at work so I haven't tested it. The basket brace is either bent or broken, the tools are gone, the lights are gone, and weirdly enough he took the plate for the cell phone holder but left the clamp...neither of which are useful without the holder that's in my backpack.

Also weirdly, there's one item in the tool bag, I haven't looked but it felt like the pen gauge. The patch kit was left in the basket, and the bag itself is still attached. The backup lock was undisturbed. And the frame pump is still there.

Tomorrow I'm off so I'll really put the bike to the test.

And just last night I saw a bike on Craigslist that I was considering as my next bike. I also saw a bike that even my novice eye saw was a joke. When I get home I might post the link to give folks a laugh.
Old 08-07-18, 06:41 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
Try getting over the loss of abike you built part by part from a frame set and wheels !

but in my legal opinion police have no clue what the law is they are like McDonalds workers only they can shoot you , but in general law speak you have to be able to prove ownership , like a recipt or registrations. If you cant prove ownership legaly than you cant claim your property was stolen , which is the biggest downside to used bikes , a bill of sale would be a start with the frame number and full list of parts or accessories ...
You reference police in general having no clue.
You also reference your ‘legal opinion’
What exactly is your legal opinion?
You have a law degree?
Many year’s of experience as a police officer?
Perhaps you are a judge?
Please enlighten me

Old 08-07-18, 07:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Great!
Old 08-07-18, 07:07 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Great news! Thrilled that you got your bike back!
Old 08-07-18, 07:15 PM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good news. Sorry about your tools. I once had all of my tools stolen by a divorce attorney. That was a rough breakup, a good set of tools are something that you need to foster and grow and put effort into over a lifetime. It's a real symbiotic relationship. The loss of a good set of tools is something you don't just get over.
Old 08-07-18, 07:27 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 605 Posts
Glad you got it back,Rachel!
Old 08-07-18, 07:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Wow. Congratulations. That almost never happens!
Old 08-07-18, 09:35 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,677 Times in 968 Posts
Glad you got your bike back.
Old 08-07-18, 10:13 PM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that I'm home, I've looked at it a little more, waiting for daylight tomorrow for a thorough look.

It looks like all the pieces that hold the basket to the bike are there, just bent. Tomorrow I'll bend everything back and realign it.

Pushing the bike inside....something doesn't feel quite right, like the rear tire has a tad bit of drag to it. I'll check tire pressure and brake pad alignment and flip the bike over and see if the wheel spins true. Anything else to check? I will admit that maybe I'm imagining it, since it is a very slight difference.
Edit: Taking a second look, when I grab the actual tire and pull side to side, there is a bit of a wobble. Reference the picture, the black metal covering the axle seems to be sliding back and forth just a hair. I don't know if it was like this before the bike was stolen. I don't know if it's bad or nothing to worry about.

The right brake handle is pushed way out of alignment, I'll have to track down the assembly manual so I can loosen it and realign it. Since there's a lot of dirt on that side of the handlebars, it probably got smacked hard in a fall.

The cell phone holder plate was still there, the clamp was loosened and then the plate ended up on the underside of the handlebars. What was left in the bag were a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. The really cool wrench and the allen wrenches are gone, along with the pen gauge, the spare tube, a three pack of 2032 batteries, and a little half full bottle of baby oil. I really don't want to know why the baby oil was stolen.

Old 08-07-18, 10:53 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Congrats for your recovery.
Old 08-07-18, 11:34 PM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rachel120
I really don't want to know why the baby oil was stolen.
That was good planning, he probably found the baby oil and forgot all about the bike.

Old 08-08-18, 12:26 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 605 Posts
Now that I'm home, I've looked at it a little more, waiting for daylight tomorrow for a thorough look.

It looks like all the pieces that hold the basket to the bike are there, just bent. Tomorrow I'll bend everything back and realign it.

Pushing the bike inside....something doesn't feel quite right, like the rear tire has a tad bit of drag to it. I'll check tire pressure and brake pad alignment and flip the bike over and see if the wheel spins true. Anything else to check? I will admit that maybe I'm imagining it, since it is a very slight difference.
Edit: Taking a second look, when I grab the actual tire and pull side to side, there is a bit of a wobble. Reference the picture, the black metal covering the axle seems to be sliding back and forth just a hair. I don't know if it was like this before the bike was stolen. I don't know if it's bad or nothing to worry about.

The right brake handle is pushed way out of alignment, I'll have to track down the assembly manual so I can loosen it and realign it. Since there's a lot of dirt on that side of the handlebars, it probably got smacked hard in a fall.

The cell phone holder plate was still there, the clamp was loosened and then the plate ended up on the underside of the handlebars. What was left in the bag were a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. The really cool wrench and the allen wrenches are gone, along with the pen gauge, the spare tube, a three pack of 2032 batteries, and a little half full bottle of baby oil. I really don't want to know why the baby oil was stolen.

Are you talking about a wobble in your hub? If it is, pull the wheel off and inspect it. May just need some adjustment of the nuts or it could have been damaged by the butthole who stole it.
Old 08-08-18, 01:38 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 429 Posts
Welcome to the club. If you haven't had a bike stolen before, you haven't been cycling very much. I've even had two bikes stolen in Tokyo, which is a place where theft of all kinds is uncommon.
Old 08-08-18, 01:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts

Sounds like your bike was damaged fighting back! I suspect it was more of a drunk/drugged joyrider hitting a target of opportunity rather than a proper bike thief. Glad you got it back, hope that back wheel is an easy fix.
Old 08-08-18, 05:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,557 Times in 1,871 Posts
Not the absolute best possible outcome---after all you didn't recover the baby oil---but still, Much better than expected. No matter what needs fixing, you can fix it and have your original ride, Better Than Ever!

Also .... you can take the money you would have spent replacing this bike and buy another one anyway. You Can have too many bikes .... but you haven't been working at it. get busy and add N+1!

Really glad for you, seriously.
Old 08-08-18, 05:47 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
II really don't want to know why the baby oil was stolen.
The Bicycle Thief may have had a little bambino at home with some very dry skin.
Old 08-08-18, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 1,688 Times in 831 Posts
The police found it!
Great news!
Old 08-08-18, 10:53 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Great that you recovered your bike. Now... while you're checking it over, turn it upside down and write down the serial number which should be stamped into the bottom bracket. Not only keep it on a piece of paper, but if you have a smartphone keep it in a text file or something Anywhere you can easily access it if your bike gets stolen again. If that does happen, then give the s/n to the officer making the report so it can be entered into NCIC. Also wouldn't hurt to register your bike on bikeindex.org
Old 08-08-18, 11:03 AM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Great that you recovered your bike. Now... while you're checking it over, turn it upside down and write down the serial number which should be stamped into the bottom bracket. Not only keep it on a piece of paper, but if you have a smartphone keep it in a text file or something Anywhere you can easily access it if your bike gets stolen again. If that does happen, then give the s/n to the officer making the report so it can be entered into NCIC. Also wouldn't hurt to register your bike on bikeindex.org
I did have it, I had pictures of the serial number and gave those to the cop. I've got the pictures on my computer and in cloud storage in case my hard drive bites it.
Old 08-08-18, 11:21 AM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, quick test ride done.

That little wobble in the tire was already there, whenever I've changed a tube and spun the wheel after it did go a little back and forth, I just never tugged on it when stopped. I can't eyeball it, but I'm wondering if maybe the rim isn't perfectly straight, when I do spin the wheel one spot wobbles more than the rest of the wheel.

The drag I felt is almost certainly brake pad rubbing. The hand brake was pulled upward, which tightened the brake cable. Even after the hand brake was put right again there was still a tad of brake pad rubbing, two spots on one side. The brakes are a long story, but since the brakes are also now squeaky I'll worry about the rubbing when I re-toe them in. Which is no rush, I have to replace the lights, the tools, stuff for fixing a flat, probably get around to getting a chain tool, and find a proper attachment for the rear reflector (another long story) before I feel like I can commute.
Old 08-08-18, 11:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Sounds like you just need to adjust your spokes and true your wheel. No biggie, but I do find that process to be a pain in the butt.
Old 08-08-18, 12:29 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
Congratulations. Maybe get an easily removable bag for your tools and tube and take them with you when you leave the bike unattended.
Old 08-08-18, 02:14 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Yay! I think just true the wheel at the rubbing spots, get a spare tube and some levers and you're good to go. The bike I used today has no lights, no reflectors, no fenders, just bike.

I still think you need a number two bike (or maybe it will be number one), more road-bike like, a different kind of "fun" to ride. And as a backup.
Old 08-09-18, 10:13 AM
SharonS

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Stump Jumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had three chains cut in Omaha Nebraksa before 11 pm over a span of three years. They were each used bicycles I paid around $250 for. I didn't own a car and it was my main transportion. Public Transportation is barely worth it for work commutes because infrequency of bus and lack of many routes or on foot access/ convenience is super minimal. when my bikes were stolen it took up to three hours commute time of my day to work. Bike theft is so common in Omaha. I reported each bike stolen and frequented Pawn shops for two months after bike stolen. I inquired about process of stolen goods with the pawn shops. From various conversations I discovered that not all bikes/vin numbers aquired in pawn shops are reported to police. This was unnverving. Never got bikes back. You'd think I would have found alternative storage or invested in expensive mag lock, but I was gullible and thought being in open , they wouldn't get stolen. I've heard that cars in Australia can be equipt with under carraige flame throwers that are triggered by attempted theft. I felt so violated after bike thefts that I considered all types of harm my anti theft process could be. But how miserable an existence to desperately steal bikes to collect less than 50 dollars per bike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.