Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Creaking Bottom Bracket

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Creaking Bottom Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 08:08 AM
Payton1221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Creaking Bottom Bracket

I have a new bike now with ~500 miles on it. Just recently I noticed that there's a creaking noise that I'm almost certain is coming from my bottom bracket. Do you agree based on:

1) It's whisper quiet for the first 10 minutes

2) It's whisper quiet for the duration of the ride as long as I'm in the saddle

3) After the "warm-up" period, it creaks in cadence with my pedaling (making a noise with every downstroke of my left food) when I am out of the saddle and pedaling up a hill

Assuming inadequate grease in the bottom bracket is the issue (and not a bearing problem), what would you expect a bike store to charge to repack the bracket with grease?
Old 08-28-18, 08:20 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 323 Posts
creaks can be tough to locate
Old 08-28-18, 09:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
If it is the bottom bracket it probably just needs to be tightened, not regreased unless you have some vintage bike with non-sealed ball bearings. No clue what a shop would charge, they don't touch my bikes. It's a 5 minute job with a BB tool and a crank puller if needed,
Old 08-28-18, 09:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Did you buy it at a LBS? Some of them offer free checks/adjustments 500-1000 miles after the purchase of a new bike.

It could be the BB, but it could also be something else, possibly something you're doing.

I have, during long rides, gone through a few hours thinking I was having a BB problem and then realizing the noise was:
-the sound of my shoes rubbing against the crank arms when I shifted my foot in when I got a little tired,
-dried mud on an obscure spot on the inside of the chain ring, just big enough to make the chain click once per revolution but hard to see until I got the bike up on the rack.

Now I'm not saying you're as stupid as I am, but the weird "only sometimes" aspect of your creak makes me think it's probably external to the BB. Since going up a hill off the saddle is probably about the worst circumstance in which to try to observe your drive train, it might be pretty hard to track down the source. i'm wondering if maybe you change your out of seat posture just a little bit after about 10 minutes of warm up.

You also might want to check out the pedals, are they the stock ones that came with the bike? Some of those are pretty creaky under stress.
Old 08-28-18, 11:10 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Is it a carbon bike? If so, good luck isolating the source of the creak!

Start with all your fasteners. Get a torque wrench and go check them all. Make sure the seat post is snug, skewers are tight and the headset is solid. Pedals, chainrings, you name it. There are no shortage of possibilities and with a carbon bike, it can be impossible to isolate the source. Just check everything.
Old 08-28-18, 12:13 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Did you check the internet search?

There's actually a protocol in which that noise may not be the BB but something else. What I mean is that there is a check list as to what to do in some kind of order.
Old 08-28-18, 01:57 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I had the same thing happen. Took it into the LBS and they tightened the BB. Creak went away. about 2 months later it came back but this time with a vibration along with a creak. Took to LBS and they said the BB was bad and replaced under warranty. 3 months later a creak came back this time it was the stock pedal. After replacing pedals it has been creak free for 2 years!
Old 08-28-18, 01:58 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
If it's in time with your pedaling, check your headset. See if there is any play at all in the position of the fork. If there is, there's a decent chance it could be that. Also you mentioned it may relate to your saddle. So remove, clean, and reset/lightly lube your seatpost. If the noise persists, put on a different set of pedals and see if that changes anything. If that doesn't change anything, remove, lubricate, and re attach the cranks. If that doesn't do it, you're down to the bottom bracket. See if the bracket makes any rough sounds when turning it. See if it has any wiggle. If it has wiggle, tighten it. If it's quiet, no wiggle. Look for cracks in the frame. Not sure what else...
Old 08-28-18, 05:50 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
How are you certain it is the bottom bracket? I had an issue with creaking. The symptoms were pretty much the same as yours. I was convinced it was the bottom bracket. Two LBSs ere convinced it was the bottom bracket. Long story short it as the compressible seat post. Noises can travel through the frame. It is not always what you think.
Old 08-28-18, 06:34 PM
Payton1221

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I checked the pedals and they seem okay. I tried to tighten the front chain ring (actually, it has a Gates carbon belt) and they were VERY tight. So just for giggles, I sprayed WD40 into both sides of the bottom bracket. I had no idea as to if any of the lubricant would be able to penetrate the outer seals or not, but if it's not fixed it's at least patched I rode for 30 minutes before it got too dark, and my bike was "whisper quiet" again . . . all I could hear was the sloshing of water in my water bottle.
Old 08-28-18, 06:56 PM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What kind of bottom bracket? If its a BB30, the installation may be an issue. They are notorious for this. I've had creaking or clicking issues with BB30's on two new bikes and so have other guys I ride with. If it's a BB30 it needs to be reinstalled per the rec'd installation technique (certain grade o Loctite needs to be used). I've had it done at two different shops on two bikes. No problem after. However a buddy has had it done twice on his ride.
Old 08-29-18, 12:29 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Things I've had creak on a bike that were a pain to find:
1. Cable housing in a downtube stop.
2. Pedal spindles.
3. Spokes rubbing against each other.
4. Saddle rails where the rail meets the saddle body.
5. Rear hub locknuts.
6. QR skewers
7. Chainring bolts
8. Shoe straps in the ratchet
9. Cleat sub-assemblies on the bottom of a shoe

...etc.
Long story short, I wouldn't assume it's a BB until you're sure it's a BB. Bikes Sheldon Brown has a good guide on finding and eliminating creaks.
Old 08-29-18, 12:56 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Things I've had creak on a bike that were a pain to find:
1. Cable housing in a downtube stop.
2. Pedal spindles.
3. Spokes rubbing against each other.
4. Saddle rails where the rail meets the saddle body.
5. Rear hub locknuts.
6. QR skewers
7. Chainring bolts
8. Shoe straps in the ratchet
9. Cleat sub-assemblies on the bottom of a shoe

...etc.
Long story short, I wouldn't assume it's a BB until you're sure it's a BB. Bikes Sheldon Brown has a good guide on finding and eliminating creaks.
10. Rear fender.

Old 08-30-18, 06:25 AM
Payton1221

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies!!!
Old 08-30-18, 09:47 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 543 Posts
Check your saddle. I had the same problem with a used carbon bike that I picked up. For the first 10 miles I was cursing the BB, but then after some further testing and listening I realized it was the cheap saddle that was on the bike.
Old 08-30-18, 11:08 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 327 Posts
Noises can be difficult to find. Last year while riding to my doctor appointment I was hearing a rythmic sound. In time with my right leg. Sort of a crackling sound. I couldn’t figure it out. I parked my bike and went in, as I sat down in the waiting room I heard that sound. Huh? Seems that a paper in my jacket pocket was crinkling and making the noise. The other patients were surprised when I jumped up with a loud Ah Hah! Found it!

BTW - that list is really good.
Also BTW - that was the waiting room for mental health services among other things. I suppose I was already suspect for arriving in bike clothes so any further antics could be expected. Ha ha!

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 08-30-18 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 07:50 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
More low-hanging fruit to check before opening up the bottom bracket:
Shoes - I had a creak that was driving me crazy. Turns out it was the leather of the shoe tongue rubbing against the uppers. After about ten miles I suppose moisture from sweat reached levels that led to squeaking. A little vaseline on the tongue of the shoe took care of it.
Also check cleat attachment and pedal spindles/bearings.
Old 08-31-18, 08:02 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Drago1010
What kind of bottom bracket? If its a BB30, the installation may be an issue. They are notorious for this. I've had creaking or clicking issues with BB30's on two new bikes and so have other guys I ride with. If it's a BB30 it needs to be reinstalled per the rec'd installation technique (certain grade o Loctite needs to be used). I've had it done at two different shops on two bikes. No problem after. However a buddy has had it done twice on his ride.
I've had loose bearings in both the BB and headset that were fixed using loctite sleeve retainer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KKTIG/ . The BB30 and similar BBs are a poor design.