Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wider tires get more punctures

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wider tires get more punctures

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 06:17 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
I hardly ever get flats. I ride skinny tyres. I watch the road, and steer between debris.
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Nature's caltrops.
Old 09-14-18, 07:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I don't think that-- while riding-- I have ever seen a goathead on the ground. The become apparent after they're already stuck in the tire.
Old 09-14-18, 07:12 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You gotta listen for them. The sound they make is a tiny little "Baaaahh!" like you'd hear coming from a baby goat. I think the fact they are so hard to see is a small part of the pure genius of the evil design of these monstrosities.

Learned a new word today, "caltrops". Never heard of those previously.
Old 09-14-18, 07:20 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

That’s a WWII reference— at least in my mind. They have been around since the Middle Ages. My grandfather brought one back from Europe. The tribulus terrestris is most definitely nature’s caltrops.
Old 09-14-18, 07:52 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Here in So Cal’s desert Area we have goatheads, glass, thorns, you name it. Pretty rare for a normal groupnride to not have a flat or two depending on season (wide or narrow tires ), also skilled riders. When we first moved here I had probably 4 flats in the first couple of months for a variety of reasons. I went back to tubeless which I had been riding primarily in VA due to gravel and traction on gravel climbs thus wanting lower pressures. I’m the only one in my group that no longer has any flats, going on two years now knock on wood.

still, kbarch I feel for you... wide, narrow, tubed or tubeless s#it happens!
Old 09-14-18, 08:52 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What size tires? I hear that tubeless is not good for skinny road tires, because when you do get a puncture, the air leaks out really fast.

I've resisted tubeless so far, but if it can solve my goathead problems, that will definitely improve my quality of life not fixing flat tires by the side of the road, an experience that pretty much cancels out any fun you may have had earlier on your ride.
Old 09-14-18, 10:51 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
What size tires? I hear that tubeless is not good for skinny road tires, because when you do get a puncture, the air leaks out really fast.

I've resisted tubeless so far, but if it can solve my goathead problems, that will definitely improve my quality of life not fixing flat tires by the side of the road, an experience that pretty much cancels out any fun you may have had earlier on your ride.
I've had both 23 and 25mm road tubeless, depends on which wheel set I use and the width of the rim. Right now I'm down to one wheelset (Easton RSL 90's) with 25mm tires. The Schwalbe's on there have about 1000 miles on them so far and are looking good.

As mentioned, I'm the only one in our fairly large riding group using road tubeless. I've been using them off and on since 2014 and exclusively these last two years I'd say. Some people say that they don't like the ride, or that the ride feels deadened somehow. I'm not sure about that they seem to ride as well as my previous tubed wheels even when swapping back and forth. The other complaint people very often have is the difficulty in mounting tubeless tires. Other than some Fusion's about 4 years ago I've never had a problem mounting.

I can't speak to the air rushing out really fast since I've never had a flat with any of my tubeless set ups. I can tell you that about 6 months ago I had a rear tire with a ton of nicks and cuts that finally got deep enough where I could hear a hissing sound when I was stopped. I got off my bike and looked at the tire, saw some sealant bubbling through one of the cracks and that was it. The sealant did its job, I lost a few pounds of pressure but was still fine to finish the ride (which happened to include a 4 mile downhill so I was plenty scared of flatting), but had no additional air loss.

I have pulled a few goat head barbs out with no worries, but like you mention, sometimes you just don't see them, I just hear them going around and around like a tree seed covered in sap that gets on the tire at times.

Last edited by robbyville; 09-14-18 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 01:59 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Those numbers came form a misunderstanding: when you said "you drop your pressure 40% and your contact patch will go up 40%" I thought you were talking about dropping pressure in the same tire. But still.... My point was that tires with lower pressures deform more readily than those with higher pressures. Under the weight of the rider and upon impacts, the size of the contact patch on a lower pressure tire grows more than that of a higher pressure tire (the most extreme case being the cause of pinch flats) -it's not directly proportional to the difference in diameter or pressure.

Not to get involved in your argument, but it reminded me of something I was thinking about with respect to the different sized tires and pressure. While the area of the contact patch depends entirely on pressure and axle weight, the shape of it will vary between the wide and narrow tire. Specifically, the width. It seems to me that the greater width would lead to more flats, and a greater length not so much.

Narrow high pressure tires have longer and skinnier contact shapes, and wider and lower pressure tires have shorter and wider shapes. So that would add to the chances of running over something and flatting, in addition to having the greater area due to lower pressure.

The other variable is, is it easier for a wire or thorn to penetrate the higher pressure or the lower pressure? I've seen that argued back and forth but it isn't resolved in my mind.
Old 09-14-18, 02:35 PM
HTupolev

Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
The other variable is, is it easier for a wire or thorn to penetrate the higher pressure or the lower pressure? I've seen that argued back and forth but it isn't resolved in my mind.
I really don't see how higher pressure wouldn't make it easier, since there's more force pushing the object into the tire.

Thorns? I had one ride last year, on 53mm Rat Trap Pass ELs with zero puncture protection, where I picked up tons of scary-looking thorns on my tread while riding over grass covered in loads of thorn branches. Sharp enough to hitch a ride, more than long enough to puncture through. I rode 20 miles of pavement before sweeping them off, didn't flat.

My guess is that, if the stabby things in question are aggressive enough that they'll go through at any pressure being considered, then a wide tire might be more likely to flat, due to the wider contact area picking up more stuff. But if the wider tire allows low enough riding pressures that the stabby thing won't easily penetrate, then I suspect it could be more durable.
Old 09-14-18, 02:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,642 Times in 1,534 Posts
Wider tires don't get more flats. And you have shown bad preparation for the inevitable puncture.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-14-18, 03:47 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I really don't see how higher pressure wouldn't make it easier, since there's more force pushing the object into the tire.
Less wiggle in the rubber maybe. The stiffer tire might turn the object or fling it while the lower pressure tire holds it in place. That would be advantage thin tire. There's more force for the puncture if the lower pressure tire stays in contact with the ground (taking more of the weight off the stabby thing), advantage wide tire. I'm not sure which is more important.

My guess is that, if the stabby things in question are aggressive enough that they'll go through at any pressure being considered, then a wide tire might be more likely to flat, due to the wider contact area picking up more stuff. But if the wider tire allows low enough riding pressures that the stabby thing won't easily penetrate, then I suspect it could be more durable.
That's more or less what I think.

Plus, while the greater width makes it more likely to roll over something, it also makes it more likely to sag down on the side of it, taking some of the pressure off as you point out. I don't know which is more important.
Old 09-14-18, 03:59 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Easy experiment. Ride two bikes through the same goat head patch, one with 20 mm tires, and the other with 40's.

Count the number of thorns in each tire. I would imagine that the 40's will have picked up roughly twice as many thorns, if not more than that.

However, the wider tire, holding more air, will have a much better chance of getting you home before it goes flat. Advantage 40 mm tire, in that regard at least.
Old 09-14-18, 06:08 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
Wider tires don't get more flats.
You know, the title of this thread was meant as a rhetorical statement and a complaint, not a truth claim, but it has been interesting to think about the implications.

And I'm sure that everyone who thinks about it will realize that the key variable is nothing to do with the tire and everything to do with the presence of stabby little things and (for those who ride under-pressurized tires) potholes in the tires path; if you never encounter them, you'll never get a flat, regardless of how wide your tire may be or how little armor it may have. Unfortunately we have little or no control of the cause of punctures.
Old 09-14-18, 06:32 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I think at the end of the day, the composition and durability of the tire matters more than width, with regard to the number of punctures I personally get.

I've settled on a 5 mm thick. tire in 28 mm for combined road and dirt road use. For me having the thick tread has kept every thorn I have actualy picked up (maybe a 3-4 on 2 bikes in hundreds of miles of riding) from ever getting in deep enough to puncture the tube, I think the rubber is also very tough, that helps as well in keeping the thorns from ever penetrating the tire to begin with. But YMMV, etc., etc.

Last edited by Colnago Mixte; 09-14-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 06:33 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I still think it's interesting. My anecdotal data says that narrower tires are more likely to suffer catastrophic failure (less material? higher pressures?) but I can also see how a wider tire might be susceptible to picking up more... junk.

It's not going to change my habits one way or the other-- one bike gets skinny tires, the other bike gets chubbier ones.