Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Question for bivy sack users

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 01:27 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I finally used my new Outdoor Research helium bivy the other day. It was a fairly miserable experience, but I am not totally ready to give up. I pulled into a campground very late, and it was very crowded, so all I could manage was a sponge bath, as there was no real privacy. Changed into regular clothes, but there was no shower. It was hot enough that I did not use my bag, just a pad, and crawled in to sleep. It was not raining, but it was very buggy, so zipped the net up with the shell as open as I could get it. Super clammy, though it did breathe well enough that I was not soaked, just generally damp.
Next morning, I turned it inside out, and it smelled like a sock. Wiped it down with some wet wipes, let it dry before packing. Used my hammock the next two nights.

On a longer trip, using a bivy for multiple nights, how do you keep it fresh? Its not always possible to get a real shower while touring, and I do tend to sweat a lot(I am designed for colder weather). As a bit of a clean freak, I found it a little distasteful. I would consider a vapor barrier, but really don't like those.

My thoughts are that this may be something to take on shorter trips, or in the winter when I wont perspire at night. Or as backup on CC trips when camping is an emergency option. Originally I got it to take as a supplement for my preferred hammock, or as a stealth option.
Old 06-25-14, 02:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 4,226 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
I finally used my new Outdoor Research helium bivy the other day. It was a fairly miserable experience, but I am not totally ready to give up. I pulled into a campground very late, and it was very crowded, so all I could manage was a sponge bath, as there was no real privacy. Changed into regular clothes, but there was no shower. It was hot enough that I did not use my bag, just a pad, and crawled in to sleep. It was not raining, but it was very buggy, so zipped the net up with the shell as open as I could get it. Super clammy, though it did breathe well enough that I was not soaked, just generally damp.
Next morning, I turned it inside out, and it smelled like a sock. Wiped it down with some wet wipes, let it dry before packing. Used my hammock the next two nights.

On a longer trip, using a bivy for multiple nights, how do you keep it fresh? Its not always possible to get a real shower while touring, and I do tend to sweat a lot(I am designed for colder weather). As a bit of a clean freak, I found it a little distasteful. I would consider a vapor barrier, but really don't like those.

My thoughts are that this may be something to take on shorter trips, or in the winter when I wont perspire at night. Or as backup on CC trips when camping is an emergency option. Originally I got it to take as a supplement for my preferred hammock, or as a stealth option.
Bivys aren't really meant to be a pleasant thing. It is an emergency shelter for when things get bad. Basically a small weather cocoon. Sure the technology is moving forward with air permeability and space without adding weight or cutting down on packability but it will never be a really pleasant thing. That is unless they can make it fully climate controlled, build up to a 2 person tent size and pack down to a can of soda and weigh less than a pound but that is not realistic.
Old 06-25-14, 03:32 AM
yote223

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found that a good old fashioned shot of Lysol spray disinfectant does wonders. I use a bivy on canoe trips in the BWCA. Maybe follow it up with some of their wipes if you want. Get the regular large pump spray bottle and transfer it into a smaller pump-sprayer for travel. It keeps things from getting too "funky" smelling.
Old 06-25-14, 04:21 AM
wheelinthai

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My favourite. Slumberjack calls it bivy, but a hoop tent should be more appropriate
Old 06-25-14, 06:43 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
so all I could manage was a sponge bath, as there was no real privacy. Changed into regular clothes, but there was no shower.
I don't get how a tent would be much better wrt bathing. I typically do so outside the tent or bivy. I find that wearing running shorts I can sponge bathe well in the open. Just reach inside the shorts.

I am not really a fan of hooped bivys like the helium. They weigh more than my tarp bivy combos and I think they are less flexible in use. I prefer to use either a bug bivy or a light regular bivy with a small tarp. Which one I take depends on the expected conditions. If it will be warm and buggy I go for the bug bivy and tarp. Both choices are a little lighter than the helium and more flexible IMO. With the bug bivy, tarp, some cords and stakes it comes in at about 14 oz. and with the regular bivy about 17 oz. The weight difference may not be significant, but the combos offer a lot of options.

If rain isn't likely I don't pitch the tarp but keep it handy and pull it over me for an unexpected rain shower. I cowboy camp on top of the bivy when conditions allow and get in the bivy if it gets chilly and the wind kicks up, the bugs start biting, or if it spits a little rain.

I like the regular bivy better if it is cool enough or if there will be no biting insects. If it will be hot and buggy the bug bivy is much nicer.

FWIW, the items that I use are:
Borah side zip bivy
Ti Goat Ptramigan Bug Bivy
Integral Designs Siltarp 1
MSR Needle Stakes
Some 85 pound test braided dacron lines

BTW, I don't find length of the trip to really be a factor in the choice between bivy and tent. I used a bivy for a coast to coast trip (ST) and was fine other than that I would have rather had the bug bivy along the gulf coast where it was warm and buggy.

All that said, I still might be inclined to use a tent for trips where week long rain is likely.
Old 06-25-14, 06:53 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I use a full eVent bivy, for breathability. I got mine from Borah gear for $200, and they come even cheaper if you go for a silnylon bottom.

I also sleep in a silk sleeping bag liner to protect the inside of my bag from perpsiration. However, there has not been one night this year so far where I live to warrant skipping a sleeping bag.
Old 06-28-14, 07:47 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
Bivy sacks are generally designed for a "bivy", an emergency, short term shelter. We sometimes carry a bivy sack for 1 day climbing trips and some ski trips if there is a possibility of an unplanned overnight stay.

They work best in colder weather, and IMO are mainly to keep the sleeping bag dry, and are a poor choice for warm weather bike touring, especially if you want any privacy. Even in winter, we seldom carry sleeping bags unless we plan on staying out over-night. We usually carry a small sil-nylon tarp, bivy sack, and insulated jacket and pants, which are more flexible than a sleeping bag and almost as warm and serve well if we get stuck out for the night.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-29-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 11:20 PM
FlippinFlags

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Are you still touring with the bivy/tarp set up?

Still using the same bivy's and set ups?

What places have you toured?
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I don't get how a tent would be much better wrt bathing. I typically do so outside the tent or bivy. I find that wearing running shorts I can sponge bathe well in the open. Just reach inside the shorts.

I am not really a fan of hooped bivys like the helium. They weigh more than my tarp bivy combos and I think they are less flexible in use. I prefer to use either a bug bivy or a light regular bivy with a small tarp. Which one I take depends on the expected conditions. If it will be warm and buggy I go for the bug bivy and tarp. Both choices are a little lighter than the helium and more flexible IMO. With the bug bivy, tarp, some cords and stakes it comes in at about 14 oz. and with the regular bivy about 17 oz. The weight difference may not be significant, but the combos offer a lot of options.

If rain isn't likely I don't pitch the tarp but keep it handy and pull it over me for an unexpected rain shower. I cowboy camp on top of the bivy when conditions allow and get in the bivy if it gets chilly and the wind kicks up, the bugs start biting, or if it spits a little rain.

I like the regular bivy better if it is cool enough or if there will be no biting insects. If it will be hot and buggy the bug bivy is much nicer.

FWIW, the items that I use are:
Borah side zip bivy
Ti Goat Ptramigan Bug Bivy
Integral Designs Siltarp 1
MSR Needle Stakes
Some 85 pound test braided dacron lines

BTW, I don't find length of the trip to really be a factor in the choice between bivy and tent. I used a bivy for a coast to coast trip (ST) and was fine other than that I would have rather had the bug bivy along the gulf coast where it was warm and buggy.

All that said, I still might be inclined to use a tent for trips where week long rain is likely.
Old 09-20-18, 06:09 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by FlippinFlags
Are you still touring with the bivy/tarp set up?
Still using the same bivy's and set ups?
Yes I am still using the same setup with the exception of the fact that I did add a bigger tarp (Sea2Summit Escapist M 6'6" x 8'6") as another option for when I think i may I want more coverage. In the last two years I have been less active with my touring since a move to another state, the start of a new business, and the arrival of a new grand child among other things competing for my time.

Originally Posted by FlippinFlags
What places have you toured?
I have limited my touring to the lower 48, but have covered much of it including a couple coast to coast trips. I have also backpacked in the Sierras as well as in the Appalachians. Some of that was with the bivy and some with small tents.
Old 09-20-18, 06:17 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
staehpj1 is also one of the longest members of BF and is highly respected for both the bicycling tours he has done, and the advice he can offer on riding and equipment.
Old 09-20-18, 06:29 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, about things seeming clammy. I use one of the better military Gore-Tex bivies, and often have to cover my head, due to bugs. 🙄 I can breathe, but at a limited capacity. Like you only get 80 or 90% of the air you need. That together with the clamminess, makes me prefer my face out, but the bugs make it a real struggle. 😜
Old 09-21-18, 06:44 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I'm thinking a bug-bivy with a tarp, and a bag liner would be fine for dealing with summer clamminess. I have not tried this yet, but I've considered getting this setup and experimenting. I've got a nice tent, which is a Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum, and despite all my efforts, I still wake up feeling like a cold piece of steak in the morning. Air movement vs the dew point vs ambient temp are key factors to comfort.
Old 09-22-18, 03:45 PM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Guess you have been here a while when you see a zombie thread that you started...

For what its worth, I still have the OR bivy, and have successfully used it in extreme cold weather camping, like sub zero stuff. Its been in some extremely heavy rain/snow without a tarp, and performed well. The Hoop is good at keeping an overnight snow load off of the head. I also slept in it during an unscheduled eight hour overnight layover in the Denver International. Found that in very dry conditions it works well even when hot. Used it in the Mojave desert last year, and it was great.

Good excuse for a follow up on some gear after multiple uses. Just use it in the right conditions, so that you don't ferment in it overnight, and its fine.
Old 09-23-18, 10:19 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
(Beavis voice) Heh, he said ferment. 😁
I used to stop in & browse, at OR's factory outlet store, in Seattle. That was before I ever tried touring, and I didn't fully appreciate their gear yet. I have some killer mittens made by them. 😎
Old 09-23-18, 01:17 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I know exactly what you mean, about things seeming clammy. I use one of the better military Gore-Tex bivies, and often have to cover my head, due to bugs. 🙄 I can breathe, but at a limited capacity. Like you only get 80 or 90% of the air you need. That together with the clamminess, makes me prefer my face out, but the bugs make it a real struggle. 😜
I used an earlier version of the OR Advanced bivy for ten years or so until the urethane lining on the floor started to fail. they replaced it with the current military model for free. The two pole system keeps the fabric off your face in warm buggy conditions, but western higher altitudes tend to have drier, cooler nights. East of the 111th you might be better with a one man, mostly bug screen tent.

The new model has a foot vent and more room. My only gripe is that in freezing conditions there really isn't enough room to keep the boots inside, (not a consideration on a bike tour)
Old 09-23-18, 05:38 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 707 Posts
I have an Integral Design gortex bivy and like the hoop over the head. It helps to keep the mesh off the face so the mossies can't bite your nose or eye brows through it while you sleep. With it I can sleep with the top pulled back for ventilation but keep the mesh for bugs.
Old 09-23-18, 06:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3366 Post(s)
Liked 2,198 Times in 1,246 Posts
This shouldn’t be that complicated. I understand the desire to save a few pounds, but a bivy sack ?, on a warm summer night ?.

I’ve used bivy sacks on winter trips, where the alternative was an open lean-to with the wind blowing in. No choice, no problem and it works in winter. But it’s a 3 lbs difference to a decent tent that vents well and makes all the differences in the world comfort wise. Seems a no-brainer to use a tent, or a motel.

Last edited by Steve B.; 09-23-18 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 06:06 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I assume when using the bivy you just leave all of your stuff on the ground next to you/the bivy? Or do you put a small tarp over it or something?* Is there room to change in one? Do most bivy users use bivys exclusively or just when the weather is supposed to be decent?

*not that I’d see much point if you have waterproof bags
Old 09-23-18, 07:16 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 205 Posts
If money is not a limiting consideration, I would recommend a tent from Z-Packs, made of cuben fiber. I have a Hexamid Duplex, a 2 person tent weighing about a pound and a half. The tent has a bathtub floor, lots of bug netting and is absolutely waterproof. The carbon tent poles cost extra, as do the tent stakes, but that gives you the option of aluminum or titanium stakes and maybe hiking poles for tent poles, if you're hiking instead of biking. The duplex is cozy for two, a palace for one, and single person tents are also available.

I've heard that Six Moons Designs also have ultra lightweight tents, but I have no experience with those.
Old 09-23-18, 08:18 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I assume when using the bivy you just leave all of your stuff on the ground next to you/the bivy? Or do you put a small tarp over it or something?* Is there room to change in one? Do most bivy users use bivys exclusively or just when the weather is supposed to be decent?

*not that I’d see much point if you have waterproof bags
In my case the initial reason for purchase was alpine climbing. For cycling it was a choice between a 2 person tent or bivy which I like if it's summer weather and I'm traveling light. In that case I don't have much stuff regardless. I put my shoes in beside me and use my clothes/jacket in a bag as a pillow. Food hangs in a tree or bear box and the rest is just some tools & stuff in the frame bag.

While you can't change perse in a bivy you can do a pretty good strip down by shucking your old trews and slipping on the new ones while sitting up to your waist in the bivy. Looks funny but modesty is mostly preserved. The key is pre planning to have your clothes sorted and close by.

These days though, the bivy has been super ceded by a 1 person North Face tent that measures 3'x7' and only weighs a tad over 2 pounds.

I like that tent so if I were to buy a bivy again for UL trips I would prolly get a SOL type emergency bivy instead and just a small piece of mossie netting to drape over the opening. I have Chouinard thinsulite overbag for summer use that is pretty small as well.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-23-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 09:43 PM
FlippinFlags

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
With your experience what is the optimum tarp size for all conditions?
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yes I am still using the same setup with the exception of the fact that I did add a bigger tarp (Sea2Summit Escapist M 6'6" x 8'6") as another option for when I think i may I want more coverage. In the last two years I have been less active with my touring since a move to another state, the start of a new business, and the arrival of a new grand child among other things competing for my time.

I have limited my touring to the lower 48, but have covered much of it including a couple coast to coast trips. I have also backpacked in the Sierras as well as in the Appalachians. Some of that was with the bivy and some with small tents.
Old 09-23-18, 09:46 PM
FlippinFlags

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes I've been looking into them and a few other companies cuben fiber tens... or go with a bug/full bivy and cuben fiber tarp set up.
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
If money is not a limiting consideration, I would recommend a tent from Z-Packs, made of cuben fiber. I have a Hexamid Duplex, a 2 person tent weighing about a pound and a half. The tent has a bathtub floor, lots of bug netting and is absolutely waterproof. The carbon tent poles cost extra, as do the tent stakes, but that gives you the option of aluminum or titanium stakes and maybe hiking poles for tent poles, if you're hiking instead of biking. The duplex is cozy for two, a palace for one, and single person tents are also available.

I've heard that Six Moons Designs also have ultra lightweight tents, but I have no experience with those.
Old 09-23-18, 09:48 PM
FlippinFlags

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'd do a bug/full bivy for airflow.. and the reason that over a tent is for stealth, easier to set up and take down.. weight.. I don't plan to use it in freezing or snow areas.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
This shouldn’t be that complicated. I understand the desire to save a few pounds, but a bivy sack ?, on a warm summer night ?.

I’ve used bivy sacks on winter trips, where the alternative was an open lean-to with the wind blowing in. No choice, no problem and it works in winter. But it’s a 3 lbs difference to a decent tent that vents well and makes all the differences in the world comfort wise. Seems a no-brainer to use a tent, or a motel.

Old 09-23-18, 09:49 PM
FlippinFlags

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How warm of temps for the enclosed bivy? I don't see how one would be comfortable in warmer temps unless it was at least half bug mesh for airflow?
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have an Integral Design gortex bivy and like the hoop over the head. It helps to keep the mesh off the face so the mossies can't bite your nose or eye brows through it while you sleep. With it I can sleep with the top pulled back for ventilation but keep the mesh for bugs.
Old 09-23-18, 10:07 PM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

Yeah. on a warm night. In a river valley crawling with water moccasins and copper heads, and ticks, and mosquitoes, I decided on arriving at a camping area well after dark to have a flop in the bivy I was carrying in addition to a hammock and tarp rather than an open lean to or ride fifty or so miles out of my way for that no brainer motel. Cause lets never try new stuff on a three day trip, right?

Honestly, a few years ago I put to much detail into a question that basically was about how people who do tour using bivys keep them clean. Never used one before, tried it, and have since experienced that learning curve thing that lets me enjoy using it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.