Notices
Southern California Southern California

Brewery Rides

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 12:53 PM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brewery Rides

Wanted to start a thread on good brewery rides in so cal. I love riding to different breweries. Here are a few I’ve done myself.

SGV
RT Rogers-Mt Lowe-Pacific Plate
Ogopogo-Ohana-Stone
Progress-Angry Horse
Lagunitas-Arrow Lodge-Alosta

OC
the bruery-bottle logic-phantom brewery

SD
too many to count lol. I’ve done a couple Bike and Beer rides. They are fun.

Old 09-30-18, 07:42 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I'm a "single issue voter". If I ride a bike - I ride a bike. If I drink beer - I buy it and drink it after the ride at home or at the pool. Besides, according to the DMV chart, for my body weight I'll get a DUI if I have more than 2 beers. Who is crazy enough to do a brewery ride for just 2 beers?
Old 10-01-18, 02:55 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,210 Times in 1,730 Posts
if by brewery ride for just two beers you actually mean per brewery...(slowly raises hand).
Old 10-01-18, 10:05 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
I'm a "single issue voter". If I ride a bike - I ride a bike. If I drink beer - I buy it and drink it after the ride at home or at the pool. Besides, according to the DMV chart, for my body weight I'll get a DUI if I have more than 2 beers. Who is crazy enough to do a brewery ride for just 2 beers?
Rode down to Oceanside yesterday, had two beers with lunch and took the train back.

Does that count as a brewery ride?

But yeah, 3 and you have to start thinking about not driving home from the train station.
Old 10-03-18, 12:28 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This was an epic ride:

Old 10-04-18, 10:09 PM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I’m the only alchy rider here. I also do dry rides, lol. I just like the idea of hitting breweries while on the bike. No DUIs.
Old 10-04-18, 10:14 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by r8dr_rider
No DUIs.
You can absolutely get a DUI on a bicycle.
Old 10-04-18, 11:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You could get well-hammered in the I.E.-- Ritual, Escape, Hangar 24, and Brew Rebellion are all contained within easily a (pretty much flat) 15 mile loop, and it's only that far because Brew Rebellion is out on the old AFB in San Bernardino.

You can ride loops around the vacant parking lots at the non-operational airport until you sober up.
Old 10-12-18, 12:31 PM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You can absolutely get a DUI on a bicycle.
negative. CA does recognize a bicycle as a motor vehicle, therefore no DUI. But you can get arrested for drunk in public or CUI. Definitely want to avoid that but not same as DUI
Old 10-12-18, 08:28 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
In the majority of bicycle accidents the rider had been drinking.
Old 10-12-18, 08:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by McBTC
In the majority of bicycle accidents the rider had been drinking.
That is patently false.

"Human error is the main contributory factor involving cyclist collisions. Driver/rider error was the most frequently reported reason for the incident involving 71% of all reported accidents in 2016. Accidents involving child cyclists are often the result of the child playing, doing tricks, riding too fast or losing control. For teenage and adult cyclists, accidents are more likely to involve collisions with motor vehicles, but about 16% of fatal or serious cyclist accidents reported to the police do not involve a collision with another vehicle, but are caused by the rider losing control of their bicycle.

In collisions involving a bicycle and another vehicle, the most common key contributory factor recorded by the police is ‘failed to look properly’ by either the driver or rider, especially at junctions. ‘Failed to look properly’ was attributed to the car driver in 57% of serious collisions and to the cyclist in 43% of serious collisions at junctions . Other common contributory factors attributed to drivers are ‘poor turn/manoeuvre’ (in 17% of serious accidents involving a cyclist) and ‘careless, reckless, in a hurry (17%). Cyclists are more likely to suffer serious injuries when a driver is judged to be ‘impaired by alcohol’, exceeding the speed limit’ or ‘travelling too fast for the conditions’."

2017 Road Safety Factsheet: Cycling Accidents
Old 10-12-18, 08:55 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
That is patently false....Study Links Alcohol and Bicycle Deaths
By Jennifer 8. LeeApril 9, 2009 7:00 am April 9, 2009 7:00 amDon’t drink and drive? What about “don’t drink and bike?”

Some 21 percent of autopsies for New York City bicyclists who died within three hours of their accidents detected alcohol in the body, according to a Department of Health and Mental Hygiene study that examined fatal bicycling accidents in New York City from 1996 to 2005.

Probably a lot of bicycle accidents where the rider didn't die within 3 hours...
Old 10-12-18, 09:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Seeing as you brought up good old NYC, do you know how many cyclists died outside of collisions with a cars in 2016? One. In the entire year.

Do you know how many cyclists were killed by cars in that same year? Twenty four. So even if we were to follow your "majority" which plummeted to "21%, in one city, over a 9 year period," that would mean 5 cyclists in NYC died with alcohol in their systems-- but that may or may not even be involved in their cause of death. Cars are the leading cause of cycling fatalities. By a significant margin.
Old 10-13-18, 11:22 AM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread just took a wrong turn, lol. Just wanted to see what other riders brewery tour. Just cuz I’m stopping at breweries doesn’t mean I’m riding drunk. Plus I’d rather someone ride a bike under the influence then drive a car.
Old 10-13-18, 02:26 PM
McBTC

Craft beer is great, I enjoy a pint of IPA after a ride. Cycling is dangerous... just my thought and I'm not expert but, my guess is, pedaling after drinking presents a lot less danger to others than driving after drinking but you can sure hurt yourself. The BAC tables help folks estimate when driving is ill advised according to the law (e.g., .08 in California) but, I think a cyclist risks injury at much lower levels than legal levels of DWI, e.g., alcohol involved in 63% of bicycle accidents among Finnish cyclists age 15-64 not involving collision with a car.

...Li and associates also found that bicyclists who died at the scene were four times as likely as those who died at hospitals to be legally intoxicated (35% vs. 9%, p < .02). Given a serious bicycling injury, intoxication was associated with significantly increased likelihood of fatality...

… a Finnish case-control study that estimated the relative risk of and alcohol-related bicycle crash (Olkkonen, 1993). The study involved 200 bicycle victims who were injured fatally in road traffic accidents during the years 1982-1988, and 700 cyclists who were used as unmatched controls for these cases. The study found that alcohol was involved in 25% of the collision accidents and in 63% of the single accidents involving cyclists aged 15 to 64 years and whose blood alcohol was measured....

https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/...__overview.htm

Old 10-13-18, 06:07 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Liked 935 Times in 544 Posts
My problem with doing a brewery ride is that once I planted my @$$ in the first barstool I'd probably not make it to the next stop.
Old 10-14-18, 07:51 AM
Gesekee19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
My problem with doing a brewery ride is that once I planted my @$$ in the first barstool I'd probably not make it to the next stop.
Hahaha